Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leinad2012)
    Caroll adds more to England offensively and gives a different option to our other strikers. Drinkwater will be 5th choice CM. Think about the role in the squad not just the reputation of the player.

I can see your salt levels haven't dropped much since yesterday.
    Obviously Carroll will add more offensively, he's a striker you nonce. He gives us a different plan of attack, but that's one that should only be used if we're in need of a goal, otherwise would you honestly start him over Kane, Vardy or Sturridge. The answers no btw.

Drinkwater is, depressingly, the most all round midfielder we have at the moment, and can actually strike a ball from range unlike many others, and is in great form, which is one thing you want going into a major tournament. I think Wilshere should be in the squad, but not a starter and to suggest he goes over Drinkwater after the season they've both had, iis a purely retarded notion of the highest order - he should be going over Delph in all honesty. But your poncy biased opinions to one side ffs Daniel.

ReputationRep:
    If Rooney is in and plays, England will do total ****.

ReputationRep:
    My views and starting 11: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...9#post64845609

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimmy Seville)
    Obviously Carroll will add more offensively, he's a striker you nonce. He gives us a different plan of attack, but that's one that should only be used if we're in need of a goal, otherwise would you honestly start him over Kane, Vardy or Sturridge. The answers no btw.

Drinkwater is, depressingly, the most all round midfielder we have at the moment, and can actually strike a ball from range unlike many others, and is in great form, which is one thing you want going into a major tournament. I think Wilshere should be in the squad, but not a starter and to suggest he goes over Drinkwater after the season they've both had, iis a purely retarded notion of the highest order - he should be going over Delph in all honesty. But your poncy biased opinions to one side ffs Daniel.
    Shed, you know that goal Drinkwater scored against you was his only goal of the season right? Obviously I was being kind when I said your average England fan has a memory of 6 months, when it's obviously about 6 days tops.

BRB
    Spoiler:
    Show

BRB
    Spoiler:
    Show

BRB
    Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    Who I'd bring, considering the inexperienced players would've had more experience under myself: GK: Hart, Forster, Heaton

DF: Walker, Rose, Jagielka, Smalling, Francis, Cahill

MF: Milner, Dier, Drinkwater, Noble, Barkley, Dele Alli, Townsend, Antonio

FW: Defoe, Sturridge, Kane, Vardy, Rashford, Deeney

Standby: Tomkins, Adam Smith, Bertrand, Barry, Henderson, Albrighton, Stanislas, Lallana, Rooney, Carroll

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Francis and Smalling can cover the full backs, Antonio is a shoe-in but it helps that he can also cover right-back.

England are blessed with unassuming central midfielders and it's so hard to drop a few, so it's a bit light in the attacking third.

So part of Deeney's appeal, other than form, is he can play in attacking midfield. I can't drop Rashford, bring him while he's hot and an unknown to foreigners. Defoe brings the experience and mature head, but the goals Rooney doesn't have.

A great mix of youth and naivety mixed with experience and maturity in every position.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ozzyoscy)
    GK: Hart, Forster, Heaton

Standby: Tomkins, Adam Smith, Bertrand, Barry, Henderson, Albrighton, Stanislas, Lallana, Rooney, Carroll

Francis and Smalling can cover the full backs, Antonio is a shoe-in but it helps that he can also cover right-back.

England are blessed with unassuming central midfielders and it's so hard to drop a few, so it's a bit light in the attacking third.

So part of Deeney's appeal, other than form, is he can play in attacking midfield. I can't drop Rashford, bring him while he's hot and an unknown to foreigners. Defoe brings the experience and mature head, but the goals Rooney doesn't have.

A great mix of youth and naivety mixed with experience and maturity in every position.
    6 strikers for 2 (maybe only 1) spots
    2 full backs for 2 spots

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    6 strikers for 2 (maybe only 1) spots
    2 full backs for 2 spots

Part of Deeney's appeal, other than form, is he can play in attacking midfield. I can't drop Rashford, bring him while he's hot and an unknown to foreigners. Defoe brings the experience and mature head, but the goals Rooney doesn't have.

ReputationRep:
    Welp, having seen that squad, all I can say is thank **** Roy is picking the team and not your average England fan....

6 defender, 2 fullbacks, squad balance not even once

ReputationRep:
    Shed, you know that goal Drinkwater scored against you was his only goal of the season right? Obviously I was being kind when I said your average England fan has a memory of 6 months, when it's obviously about 6 days tops.

BRB
    Spoiler:
    Show

BRB
    Spoiler:
    Show

BRB
    Spoiler:
    Show

Not only are you so intellectually, ethically and religiously challenged that you can't even insert a gif/jpeg properly, but you're talking about Wilshere as if he's some kind of goalscoring/long shot scoring god - when he's only scored 13 goals in 170 appearances, and hasn't started a game before yesterday since the first day of the season. I mean Drinkwaters scored more goals this season than Wilshere, so really your point about scoring goals is irrelevant, especially when Drinkwater has more career goals.

You are genuinely some special kind of stupid.

So if I have a memory of 6 days, what does that make yours? You're a typical cancerous Arsenal fan that makes Wilshere to be miles better than he is - trading off one performance v Barcelona and seems to get better the less he plays.

You're chant about him is the most pathetic thing I've ever heard btw.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimmy Seville)
    Not only are you so intellectually, ethically and religiously challenged that you can't even insert a gif/jpeg properly, but you're talking about Wilshere as if he's some kind of goalscoring/long shot scoring god - when he's only scored 13 goals in 170 appearances, and hasn't started a game before yesterday since the first day of the season. I mean Drinkwaters scored more goals this season than Wilshere, so really your point about scoring goals is irrelevant, especially when Drinkwater has more career goals.

You are genuinely some special kind of stupid.

So if I have a memory of 6 days, what does that make yours? You're a typical cancerous Arsenal fan that makes Wilshere to be miles better than he is - trading off one performance v Barcelona and seems to get better the less he plays.

You're chant about him is the most pathetic thing I've ever heard btw.
    All the gifs work fine. I put them in spoilers to not clog up the thread.

Real talk now though shed, get some help. You have WAYYYYYYYYY too much pent up anger that you seem to let out with petty insults on here.

We're all here trying to talk about the England squad and you can't put your 2 cents in without insulting posters 10 times in the same post. Seriously pal your self esteem must be non existent, like, I literally put one post about my views on the team and your come out swinging with insults for no reason. I don't know whether it's exam stress or what, but you've been acting like an even bigger **** than normal in the last few weeks.

ReputationRep:
    Hart
    Walker Cahill Smalling Rose
    Dier
    Henderson Wilshere
    Alli
    Kane Vardy

My preferred team. Don't really care about the full backs, Clyne and Bertrand are no better or worse than Walker and Rose. I chose the latter simply for the Tottenham connection even though that chemistry isn't as important at full back. Henderson and Wilshere are dependant on them showing form in the friendlies, if they are not sharp then Milner and Drinkwater can come in.

If Rooney starts in any position, I will cap myself. Milner and Drinkwater are better replacements at CM, Lallana, Barkley and Sterling are better at AM, Sturridge and even Rashford are better options at ST.

ReputationRep:

Part of Deeney's appeal, other than form, is he can play in attacking midfield. I can't drop Rashford, bring him while he's hot and an unknown to foreigners. Defoe brings the experience and mature head, but the goals Rooney doesn't have.
    All 3 of them would be covering right back, seeing as they're all right footed and none of them have ever played left back.

Picture the scene. Danny Rose gets injured in the round of 16, having played every minute so far. We're up against Portugal in the quarter finals, and we don't have a left back. So we have to choose one out of 2 right footed centre backs and a right footed right winger to play there, but not to worry, we have 5 strikers sitting on the bench.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cBay)
    Hart
    Dier
    Henderson Wilshere
    Alli
    Kane Vardy

My preferred team. Don't really care about the full backs, Clyne and Bertrand are no better or worse than Walker and Rose. I chose the latter simply for the Tottenham connection even though that chemistry isn't as important at full back. Henderson and Wilshere are dependant on them showing form in the friendlies, if they are not sharp then Milner and Drinkwater can come in.

If Rooney starts in any position, I will cap myself. Milner and Drinkwater are better replacements at CM, Lallana, Barkley and Sterling are better at AM, Sturridge and even Rashford are better options at ST.
    Agree, although perhaps you could swap out Henderson

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cBay)
    Hart
    Dier
    Henderson Wilshere
    Alli
    Kane Vardy

Basically the same XI as Jermaine Jenas', really rate him as a pundit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    All 3 of them would be covering right back, seeing as they're all right footed and none of them have ever played left back.

Picture the scene. Danny Rose gets injured in the round of 16, having played every minute so far. We're up against Portugal in the quarter finals, and we don't have a left back. So we have to choose one out of 2 right footed centre backs and a right footed right winger to play there, but not to worry, we have 5 strikers sitting on the bench.
    Smalling can play left-back. Would Bertrand stop Ronaldo instead? Smalling would not be the first defender in the season to play left-back. We're talking cover.

You're probably one of the people that mocked the idea of playing someone other than Hart in friendlies, or bringing more than 3 strikers, because there's no chance there'd be an injury issue.

We'd have 4 strikers on the bench if there are 2 strikers on the pitch, which is just one more than normal. And wouldn't be an issue if I'd picked Rooney, who now is a 'midfielder' if you believe some people.

Keep fishing.

Welp, having seen that squad, all I can say is thank **** Roy is picking the team and not your average England fan....

6 defender, 2 fullbacks, squad balance not even once
    3 goalkeepers, 4 full backs, 4 centrebacks, a few defensive midfielders, a few central attacking midfielders, a few wingers and side midfielders, 5+ strikers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by richpanda)
    Agree, although perhaps you could swap out Henderson
    Admittedly, Henderson hasn't had the best season, he didn't live up to the standards he set of himself in 13/14 and 14/15. How much of that can be put down to the ongoing ankle issue I don't know, but as I said his inclusion is dependant on him playing well in the friendlies, same as Wilshere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by richpanda)
    If you think danny drinkwater is a better footballer than Jack Wilshere, you most likely have some kind of intelligence hindering disability.
    Drinkwater has had a higher level this season than Wilshere has ever had in his career, pivotal to a title-winning team (again something Wilshere can't claim despite playing for a clearly better side), injury-free throughout (Jack has basically never had a career-free season). As people have already alluded to, Wilshere has neither match-sharpness nor form on his side even if he miraculously goes through the tournament injury free. If Wilshit didn't play for Arsenal he'd be nowhere near the ****ing squad, same as Rooney at United.

Hart

Walker Smalling Cahill Rose
    Dier
    Drinkwater Henderson
    Sterling
    Vardy Kane

Would be my team. Need some pace and Vardy can run the channels anyway. Gives you a good DM, Henderson provides energy and can play as a midfield runner, Sterling can roam the attacking third and move out wide.

ReputationRep:
    Smalling can play left-back. Would Bertrand stop Ronaldo instead? Smalling would not be the first defender in the season to play left-back. We're talking cover.

You're probably one of the people that mocked the idea of playing someone other than Hart in friendlies, or bringing more than 3 strikers, because there's no chance there'd be an injury issue.

We'd have 4 strikers on the bench if there are 2 strikers on the pitch, which is just one more than normal. And wouldn't be an issue if I'd picked Rooney, who now is a 'midfielder' if you believe some people.

Keep fishing.

3 goalkeepers, 4 full backs, 4 centrebacks, a few defensive midfielders, a few central attacking midfielders, a few wingers and side midfielders, 5+ strikers!
    It wouldn't really be Bertrand's job to stop Ronaldo seeing as they'd be on opposite sides of the pitch. Ronaldo hasn't been a right winger for years.

There's a happy medium between 3 strikers and 6, i.e the amount in virtually every tournament squad, 4 or 5. That allows for 2 or 3 striker injuries, which would be hugely unlucky, and even then you can move to a 1 striker formation leaving one on the bench for cover.

We'd have one position where we can afford 4 injuries, and another where a single injury leaves us playing people out of position. Surely you can see that's a ridiculous imbalance.

Smalling is first choice centre back and yet has never been that impressive at right back, let alone left back.

ReputationRep:
    Who I'd bring, considering the inexperienced players would've had more experience under myself: GK: Hart, Forster, Heaton

No Stones?

ReputationRep:
    Hodgeson is an asbsolutely atrocious manager. How this guy is still manager is baffling. Saying Walcott hasn't played enough but then brings Wheelchair? What is he smoking?

No doubt Rooney will be starting too.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.