The Student Room Group

I'm 23 and my councillor just told me she thinks I may have mild aspergers.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JPO92
I know, and believe me, I could utilise extra time in an exam very effectively, but I feel stupid pushing the issue and scared of what the professionals may try to force on me.

It's not stupid to push the issue at all, and especially once you get to university no professional will force anything on you, there'd be lots of support available but you only use it if you want to. (A close friend of mine has been diagnosed with aspergers at 23 whilst at uni and nothing has been forced on her, she's had a pretty positive experience with professionals so far).

If anything an official diagnosis could help you learn more about yourself and how you perceive the world (diagnostic reports can be very detailed) and if you decide not to tell anyone after a diagnosis then that's your choice, but even if just from a personal development side i think its a good idea.
Original post by Tiger Rag
It's not wrong. Unless both my GP and psych are both wrong?

sorry that came out wrong. there is not any 1 single med, however you can manage aspergers with meds which work for u
Reply 42
Original post by claireestelle
It's not stupid to push the issue at all, and especially once you get to university no professional will force anything on you, there'd be lots of support available but you only use it if you want to. (A close friend of mine has been diagnosed with aspergers at 23 whilst at uni and nothing has been forced on her, she's had a pretty positive experience with professionals so far).

If anything an official diagnosis could help you learn more about yourself and how you perceive the world (diagnostic reports can be very detailed) and if you decide not to tell anyone after a diagnosis then that's your choice, but even if just from a personal development side i think its a good idea.

I think, put that way, you are probably right.

I will do some more reading on the subject, and depending on how I feel, I will either wait until I get to University and speak to them there, or try and push the matter beforehand. Maybe I could access the advice of an independent charity? Who knows, something to, again, look into.
Reply 43
Original post by lascelles101
thats a rewarding job

It is! I'm looking for a rewarding job. I've done mundane ones in the past and I couldn't handle it. Too dull.
Original post by JPO92
It is! I'm looking for a rewarding job. I've done mundane ones in the past and I couldn't handle it. Too dull.
oh what jobs have you done
Reply 45
Original post by lascelles101
oh what jobs have you done

Worked in call centres mainly.
Original post by JPO92
Worked in call centres mainly.

oh yes you aim higher
Bite their ears off if you disagree with the councillor. :teehee:

Quick Reply

Latest