Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PWS123)
    Personally, I found it fairly easy, except for the 6-marker - I hadn't revised that.

What did people put for the animal indicators? I put Lichens detecting sulphur dioxide and an alternate way was with GC:MS.
    GC:MS is used to separate out chemicals in a gas - not necessarily as a way of measuring sulfur dioxide concentration. You may still be right though

ReputationRep:
    I found it quite easy. (not to be cocky though)
    So happy menstrual cycle didn't come up!

ReputationRep:
    That paper was hard everyone says its easy
    also for the independent company i wrote "a private company "would that be right ???

ReputationRep:
    I felt like the paper had a lot of random questions not relating to biology and it was completely different to recent past papers even the font ! which put me off :bricks:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gemma-Thomason)
    I am the opposite I thought it was quite easy. The 6 mark question was extremely nice and most questions were basic and involved you reading of a graph. I am annoyed of how little biology there was on the exam as I feel the hours I have spent revising these topics were wasted as people who hadn't revised could give that paper a shot and find it ok. Also, some of the questions were random like the independent company but again you could give it a guess. I'm sure you all did extremely well and all your hard work will pay off
    What do you think you'll get

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellenpeters)
    did anyone get 0.6 reccuring on the malaria question?
    Yes although I think you have to write it as 0.7 or 0.67 not a recurring decimal. They do not accept recurring decimals in the sciences apparently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redcoats)
    What do you think you'll get
    I'm hoping for a B what about you?

ReputationRep:
    Judging by unofficial mark scheme and my own knowledge, I'm looking at around 52-53/60. Any ideas what grade this would be?

ReputationRep:
    Hey It was really hard. They put more questions on how science works than the actual biology syllabus!
    (Original post by nettogrof)
    So I sat biology unit one exam today and it was the one exam I did a lot of revision for and did all the recent past papers for and I felt as though the paper was nothing like the recent past papers and a lot harder :'( How did everyone else find it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nettogrof)
    So I sat biology unit one exam today and it was the one exam I did a lot of revision for and did all the recent past papers for and I felt as though the paper was nothing like the recent past papers and a lot harder :'( How did everyone else find it?
    I didn't have enough time to finish the paper but I thought a few questions were quite easy, what did everyone else put for receptor and effector question?(4marks)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paba21)
    I agree it was so hard, one of the hardest I have done it was truly awful. Some of the questions were not even really biology!
    I absolutely agree with you

ReputationRep:
    The entire thing was a trainwreck.
    Half the questions were not in any way related to Biology.
    And half the specification wasn't even on the test.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adzkii786)
    The paper was awful. What did you guys right for the malaria 4 marker?
    I wrote that it will reduce the amount of people getting infected by malaria because it stops adult mosquioes from growing. However a disadvantage is that it will reduce biodiversity and may effect other wild animals

ReputationRep:
    What did everyone put for the sense organ that is found on the brain ( or something like that)

ReputationRep:
    A very risky paper by AQA, there are a few petitions to lower the grade boundaries because most questions were not even in the specification!

ReputationRep:
    Is it the one that you had to work out the speed? (1.6) if it is, then it asked about why the speed is greater, so it has nothing to do with the distance I talked about synapses so idek

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ify7)
    I wrote that it will reduce the amount of people getting infected by malaria because it stops adult mosquioes from growing. However a disadvantage is that it will reduce biodiversity and may effect other wild animals
    I said how the gene could get out (e.g through crossbreeding etc.) and become present in the genetic material of other animals, particularly female mosquitoes. This would be devastating as female mosquitoes feed on human blood and the gene could thus end up in human DNA (dun dun daaaaaaa)! I then wrote about food chain being disrupted. Then potential harmful effects on organisms if they consume the genetically modified mosquitoes.

However, the releasing of the mosquitos ensures that offspring would die and so the threat of mosquitoes and the amount of people infected etc. would likely decrease.

ReputationRep:
    It sort of felt like the examiners were running out of ideas, like they didn't want re-runs of old questions because it was too soon, yet they were running out of material on which to base new questions - that one about the horses was pretty obscure, I bet a few years ago that they'd use camels or something simple and just be done with it. Do you reckon I'd get the mark for "observing the effects of acid rain" for another way of checking for sulphur dioxide pollution (even if lichens are wrong)?

ReputationRep:
    The whole thing was a piece of piss.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adzkii786)
    The paper was awful. What did you guys right for the malaria 4 marker?
    I put:
    "No, they shouldn't genetically modify the mosquitos. Male mosquitos don't feed on blood so they don't spread malaria, and modifying them could spread the genes onto other organisms and disrupt the eco system. However, doing so would reduce the numbers of deaths to malaria and be a way to sort out malaria.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.