Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

#GiveElsaAGirlFriend Watch

• View Poll Results: Should Elsa have a prince/princess?
    Elsa should have a princess
    13.79%
    Elsa should have a prince
    6.90%
    Elsa should stay single
    20.69%
    I don't give a crap
    58.62%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmileyVibe)
    I thought homosexuality was an attraction. You are or you aren't. Now placing thoughts in a child head will confuse them or even give them delusion that they identify as gay.

Disney is marketed toward toddlers, and preteens and the fact is majority of them are straight. A small percentage of the population and less than five percentage of movie goers are gay. Disney is all about teaching positive life lessons and family values. If anything, the whole Elsa being gay is done to prove how non "homophobic" Disney is and to promote homosexuality to children to please the LGBT. Does the fact that majority of parents don't want their children watching Elsa kiss another girl and having to explain them the reason not matter?

I have no problem with the LGBT marketing an adult tv show to gay teens, and adults but when children are thrown into it and used an excuse for political reasons, people have a problem with that. Let takes a popular tv show like Queer as Folk. Let's say people wrote letters demanding all three gay leads to become straight, then that would be a problem because majority of the people who watched it was gay and didn't want straight leads. Now that would be a problem. Yet, Disney company is marketed to children and preteens and never had a gay character because that is not the audience they intend to market to or what they want to promote. Now they're the homophobics because they go by their own rules and do not take fan requests because they're not fan fictions authors?

What I'm getting at is, there is a difference between making gay characters and represent and forcing gay characters onto children movie for the sake of them being gay.

Forcing gay characters into children movies and making homosexuality a topic that needs to be important and a common theme in Disney movies makes absolute sense to you but respecting the majority who doesn't want Elsa to be gay doesn't make sense to you? Ok.
    You know a survey last year worked out that around 89% of the US population and 88% of the U.K. population are likely to identify as straight. In both cases that's around 1 in 10 people feeling some degree of same-sex attraction. Most children start to work out their sexualities at a young age, and it's a really confusing thing for them which isn't helped by the fact that there's hardly any explicit representation of LGBTQ relationships in mainstream media.

Also, children aren't hardwired to be homophobic; they're usually much more tolerant of same sex relationships than adults are. You're making it out like LGBTQ representation is somehow indoctrination, when children are already predisposed to accept love in all its forms.

Perhaps petitioning for Elsa to have a girlfriend isn't the best way of getting the representation that gay people deserve, but there's no way that Disney are going to be representative otherwise. Sometimes a push in the right direction is required.

And as for all the crap people are posting about demographics, vampires make up exactly 0% of the world's population but we still have them shoved down our throats in every possible form of media. It's a tad offensive when your sexuality is labelled "too political" for children and so you have to watch non-existent brings get more representation than you

ReputationRep:
    I thought homosexuality was an attraction. You are or you aren't. Now placing thoughts in a child head will confuse them or even give them delusion that they identify as gay.

Disney is marketed toward toddlers, and preteens and the fact is majority of them are straight. A small percentage of the population and less than five percentage of movie goers are gay. Disney is all about teaching positive life lessons and family values. If anything, the whole Elsa being gay is done to prove how non "homophobic" Disney is and to promote homosexuality to children to please the LGBT. Does the fact that majority of parents don't want their children watching Elsa kiss another girl and having to explain them the reason not matter?

I have no problem with the LGBT marketing an adult tv show to gay teens, and adults but when children are thrown into it and used an excuse for political reasons, people have a problem with that. Let takes a popular tv show like Queer as Folk. Let's say people wrote letters demanding all three gay leads to become straight, then that would be a problem because majority of the people who watched it was gay and didn't want straight leads. Now that would be a problem. Yet, Disney company is marketed to children and preteens and never had a gay character because that is not the audience they intend to market to or what they want to promote. Now they're the homophobics because they go by their own rules and do not take fan requests because they're not fan fictions authors?

What I'm getting at is, there is a difference between making gay characters and represent and forcing gay characters onto children movie for the sake of them being gay.

Forcing gay characters into children movies and making homosexuality a topic that needs to be important and a common theme in Disney movies makes absolute sense to you but respecting the majority who doesn't want Elsa to be gay doesn't make sense to you? Ok.
    Homosexuality is an attraction I never said it wasn't however once again what you said could apply to children who are gay, they may think they are straight because throughout their entire childhood they are only presented with straight relationships? So your first point doesn't make sense at all?
    I know that Disney tries to teach family values and life lessons, etc. However they still include romantic relationships as they are apart of life, and its always a prince ends up with the princess, why can't it be a prince ends up with a prince, or a princess ends up with a princess? Why would it matter? Also no one knows Elsa's sexuality, no one is trying to make a straight character gay? No one knows if she's straight or gay thats why people would think that it is a good idea to represent gay people for once. 1 out of 2 young people have said that they are not 100% straight so it would be nice if they could see more representation.
    Also I don't think disney are homophobic? I just don't see why it would be a bad idea, why would you conceal your children away from seeing not straight couples? That just tells them its a bad thing that they shouldn't see, when its not, its completely normal to be gay.
    Also you said ''forcing gay characters onto children'' but you wouldn't say they are forcing straight characters onto children would you, even though in every disney movie ever there are straight couples? That doesn't make any sense unless you see being gay as something bad that children shouldn't see? Same goes with anyone else, I say whats the big deal if Elsa is gay, being shouldn't be seen as a negative in my opinion. You also said they don't want to promote being gay, but they are not promoting being gay if they normalise it, they don't have to make a big deal out of it? You wouldn't say "disney movies promote being straight'' would you? No they could make a movie about Elsa saving Anna or something but in it Elsa happened to have a girlfriend would that be promoting being gay? If you think yes then I guess the first frozen movie was about promoting being straight because of Anna and Kristof?
    If a child is shown straight and gay couples throughout their childhood it won't confuse them? Most likely they may have family members who are gay, maybe even their parents, doesn't mean they will get confused, it will just normalise being gay and make people aware that its fine. Also, one question, Disney Channel did an episode of good luck charlie a while back with a lesbian couple? I'm assuming you think thats awful and confused children, but no it was fine and many people were happy about it. Everything you're saying doesn't make sense and its biased whether you admit it or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by idontknowmedoyou)
    Homosexuality is an attraction I never said it wasn't however once again what you said could apply to children who are gay, they may think they are straight because throughout their entire childhood they are only presented with straight relationships? So your first point doesn't make sense at all?
    I know that Disney tries to teach family values and life lessons, etc. However they still include romantic relationships as they are apart of life, and its always a prince ends up with the princess, why can't it be a prince ends up with a prince, or a princess ends up with a princess? Why would it matter? Also no one knows Elsa's sexuality, no one is trying to make a straight character gay? No one knows if she's straight or gay thats why people would think that it is a good idea to represent gay people for once. 1 out of 2 young people have said that they are not 100% straight so it would be nice if they could see more representation.
    Also I don't think disney are homophobic? I just don't see why it would be a bad idea, why would you conceal your children away from seeing not straight couples? That just tells them its a bad thing that they shouldn't see, when its not, its completely normal to be gay.
    Also you said ''forcing gay characters onto children'' but you wouldn't say they are forcing straight characters onto children would you, even though in every disney movie ever there are straight couples? That doesn't make any sense unless you see being gay as something bad that children shouldn't see? Same goes with anyone else, I say whats the big deal if Elsa is gay, being shouldn't be seen as a negative in my opinion. You also said they don't want to promote being gay, but they are not promoting being gay if they normalise it, they don't have to make a big deal out of it? You wouldn't say "disney movies promote being straight'' would you? No they could make a movie about Elsa saving Anna or something but in it Elsa happened to have a girlfriend would that be promoting being gay? If you think yes then I guess the first frozen movie was about promoting being straight because of Anna and Kristof?
    If a child is shown straight and gay couples throughout their childhood it won't confuse them? Most likely they may have family members who are gay, maybe even their parents, doesn't mean they will get confused, it will just normalise being gay and make people aware that its fine. Also, one question, Disney Channel did an episode of good luck charlie a while back with a lesbian couple? I'm assuming you think thats awful and confused children, but no it was fine and many people were happy about it. Everything you're saying doesn't make sense and its biased whether you admit it or not.
    I don't understand why Disney movies or disney tv shows have to create gay characters to promote how normal homosexuality is. The point is using Elsa as a LGBT model is to promote an agenda. I know I sound very much like the people who think any depictions of homosexuality is to promote an agenda. The thing is Disney would not be doing it because they genuinely want the LGBT to feel representative. They would be doing it because someone ask would be pulling their strings and to please the LGBT community.

Why would it matter? Well, let's see. Its promoting something to children who are like clay. Children do not have to see or know everything because they're children. Let children be children. I never knew what a lesbian was nor did I know what sex was when I was elementary school. Kids need time to figure out their own sexuality first instead of being exposed to taboo things as two men kissing each at 5 years old and then asked what their sexuality is. Kids are pretty asexual. They don't experience strong attractions to any sex. Children don't come out the womb questioning their non existent sexuality.

To be blunt, it is plain weird how anyone is determined to showcase gay characters and homosexuality to kids. I got no problem with gay characters but what is the big deal with homosexuality in children's movies? Is there a real need for it? So if kids aren't being told this or that is normal, they'll grow up being disrespectful toward gay people? There is no indication of Elsa being gay in the movie. Disney is straying off from women need a man in their lives, and that does not make her gay in any way.

Of course I am bias! Just are you are bias. We're both and everyone is bias . Why do you think you and I have different opinions? Obviously we're unbiased people. Also, you may have trouble following my beliefs because you have your own beliefs but does not mean I make no sense. So basically you are going to go in a circle where you claim I make no sense despite all I said about Disney being a business with a specific audience , Disney being a child movie, and Disney not incorporating a LGBT character since they don't have writers who believe in that because you cannot wrap your brain around why people don't want Elsa to have g/f like you?

What an unbias human you are. You sure shown me up, lol.

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand why Disney movies or disney tv shows have to create gay characters to promote how normal homosexuality is. The point is using Elsa as a LGBT model is to promote an agenda. I know I sound very much like the people who think any depictions of homosexuality is to promote an agenda. The thing is Disney would not be doing it because they genuinely want the LGBT to feel representative. They would be doing it because someone ask would be pulling their strings and to please the LGBT community.

Why would it matter? Well, let's see. Its promoting something to children who are like clay. Children do not have to see or know everything because they're children. Let children be children. I never knew what a lesbian was nor did I know what sex was when I was elementary school. Kids need time to figure out their own sexuality first instead of being exposed to taboo things as two men kissing each at 5 years old and then asked what their sexuality is. Kids are pretty asexual. They don't experience strong attractions to any sex. Children don't come out the womb questioning their non existent sexuality.

To be blunt, it is plain weird how anyone is determined to showcase gay characters and homosexuality to kids. I got no problem with gay characters but what is the big deal with homosexuality in children's movies? Is there a real need for it? So if kids aren't being told this or that is normal, they'll grow up being disrespectful toward gay people? There is no indication of Elsa being gay in the movie. Disney is straying off from women need a man in their lives, and that does not make her gay in any way.

Of course I am bias! Just are you are bias. We're both and everyone is bias . Why do you think you and I have different opinions? Obviously we're unbiased people. Also, you may have trouble following my beliefs because you have your own beliefs but does not mean I make no sense. So basically you are going to go in a circle where you claim I make no sense despite all I said about Disney being a business with a specific audience , Disney being a child movie, and Disney not incorporating a LGBT character since they don't have writers who believe in that because you cannot wrap your brain around why people don't want Elsa to have g/f like you?

What an unbias human you are. You sure shown me up, lol.
    Shouldn't it be equal though. If we had both sexualities represented then it would be fair representation. Its like if we only had men in Tv shows, no women? Unfair don't you think? Also I wouldn't call two men kissing taboo? And if kids are pretty asexual then why don't we just represent everyone?
    Also many gay people have said that they felt weird being gay when they were very young because they never saw anyone similar, I have seen people have this view and if a child felt this way then having a gay character who's like them would help them a lot. For example, the new barbie dolls which are different races and different shapes helps children relate to them more and feel normal, its the same thing, its someone for them to look up to and make them feel normal, as being gay is normal.
    Also I never said they made Elsa gay in the movie? Why are you making things up that I have said? They never said her sexuality, which is why before when you said she was a straight character it made no sense, you keep changing your mind. Also you're idea makes no sense because you keep saying things like they don't want to promote being gay, but its fine for them to promote being straight? And you keep saying forcing gay characters into movies, imagine it the opposite way round? If I was saying ''omg we shouldn't force straight characters into movies, it promotes being straight and that confuses children'' doesn't sound nice does it? And it also doesn't make sense, thats my point. Why can't it be equal?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by socialdisaster)
    You know a survey last year worked out that around 89% of the US population and 88% of the U.K. population are likely to identify as straight. In both cases that's around 1 in 10 people feeling some degree of same-sex attraction. Most children start to work out their sexualities at a young age, and it's a really confusing thing for them which isn't helped by the fact that there's hardly any explicit representation of LGBTQ relationships in mainstream media.

Also, children aren't hardwired to be homophobic; they're usually much more tolerant of same sex relationships than adults are. You're making it out like LGBTQ representation is somehow indoctrination, when children are already predisposed to accept love in all its forms.

Perhaps petitioning for Elsa to have a girlfriend isn't the best way of getting the representation that gay people deserve, but there's no way that Disney are going to be representative otherwise. Sometimes a push in the right direction is required.

And as for all the crap people are posting about demographics, vampires make up exactly 0% of the world's population but we still have them shoved down our throats in every possible form of media. It's a tad offensive when your sexuality is labelled "too political" for children and so you have to watch non-existent brings get more representation than you
    Thanks for the stats. Can you please find stats for the percentage of gay movie goers? Thanks. I have no problem with gay characters but isn't using Elsa a bit radical? Disney does not represent every type of people because there is so many types of people. I don't think Disney would go through with it. Its a business and their goal is to make money and hope parents take their children to see the upcoming movie of the year, not represent the LGBT.

Vampires are an imaginary and been used in myths for a long time. I read an article that vampires originate from bats and kind of just drifted into mythology.
    It is too political. Disney has never created a LGBT character and no offense, but they're going to start now because of a petition?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by idontknowmedoyou)
    Shouldn't it be equal though. If we had both sexualities represented then it would be fair representation. Its like if we only had men in Tv shows, no women? Unfair don't you think? Also I wouldn't call two men kissing taboo? And if kids are pretty asexual then why don't we just represent everyone?
    Also many gay people have said that they felt weird being gay when they were very young because they never saw anyone similar, I have seen people have this view and if a child felt this way then having a gay character who's like them would help them a lot. For example, the new barbie dolls which are different races and different shapes helps children relate to them more and feel normal, its the same thing, its someone for them to look up to and make them feel normal, as being gay is normal.
    Also I never said they made Elsa gay in the movie? Why are you making things up that I have said? They never said her sexuality, which is why before when you said she was a straight character it made no sense, you keep changing your mind. Also you're idea makes no sense because you keep saying things like they don't want to promote being gay, but its fine for them to promote being straight? And you keep saying forcing gay characters into movies, imagine it the opposite way round? If I was saying ''omg we shouldn't force straight characters into movies, it promotes being straight and that confuses children'' doesn't sound nice does it? And it also doesn't make sense, thats my point. Why can't it be equal?
    You do realize its impossible to represent all people in one movie, right? There are plenty of people who feel unrepresented, and barely are their voices heard yet when the LGBT feels represented Disney is supposed to be creating LGBT out of nowhere. Taboo as in it isn't the norm. At least its not for me. The only homosexuality I see is a couple tv shows and fiction books. How often do you see homosexuality in real life? Taboo isn't a bad thing as you might put it. You do realize genetics is different from sexual attraction right?

You're going in a circle. You hear X, don't agree with it, and claims its makes no sense. It doesn't make sense because you refuse to accept I disagree with you. To discredit anyone who disargrees with you is saying it doesn't make sense. The first time, I could handle it. The second and third times is getting me upset. Do you have anything else to add to the conversation other than "it DoEsN't mAkE senSE!!!"?

Just accept Disney will not be making LGBT characters that soon. BTW, you have a strange idea of equality if you think equality is just getting LGBT characters in a children movie business. Not everyone is equal. People have differences, and that's okay. It was nice have a conversation with you but its still to get dull and pointless with you going in a circle. Let's agree that we disagree. Have a nice, and safe weekend.

ReputationRep:
    You do realize its impossible to represent all people in one movie, right? There are plenty of people who feel unrepresented, and barely are their voices heard yet when the LGBT feels represented Disney is supposed to be creating LGBT out of nowhere. Taboo as in it isn't the norm. At least its not for me. The only homosexuality I see is a couple tv shows and fiction books. How often do you see homosexuality in real life? Taboo isn't a bad thing as you might put it. You do realize genetics is different from sexual attraction right?

You're going in a circle. You hear X, don't agree with it, and claims its makes no sense. It doesn't make sense because you refuse to accept I disagree with you. To discredit anyone who disargrees with you is saying it doesn't make sense. The first time, I could handle it. The second and third times is getting me upset. Do you have anything else to add to the conversation other than "it DoEsN't mAkE senSE!!!"?

Just accept Disney will not be making LGBT characters that soon. BTW, you have a strange idea of equality if you think equality is just getting LGBT characters in a children movie business. Not everyone is equal. People have differences, and that's okay. It was nice have a conversation with you but its still to get dull and pointless with you going in a circle. Let's agree that we disagree. Have a nice, and safe weekend.
    We are going in a circle because you don't answer my points of why I think your view makes no sense. I would re say them but I have said them over and over and you don't reply because you know I'm right. And I know representing lgbt isn't everyone but it's a start. You have a nice weekend too.

ReputationRep:
    It's up to the directors, after all it is their movie.

ReputationRep:
    Just give us another music hit!

I love Let It Go!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 21, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.