Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Mr M's OCR Core 1 (not OCR MEI) May 2016 Answers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blinin7)
    Hi, would appreciate some help.

For question 6 i) I got
    2(x+3)-22
    instead of,

as for some reason I re-arranged the equation given so that it began with 2x^2...

Question 7 iii)
    I put stretch of scale factor 2 in x direction instead of Stretch parallel to the y axis scale factor 0.5

Question 9
    I got k>5 and K<-4
    instead of
    or
    however i got the factors (2k-10) (2k+4), I was just so rushed i put K as -4 instead of K as -2

Any ideas how many Marks I would have dropped from those 3.

Many thanks
    6) drop 1

7iii) drop 1

9) drop 2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nomes24)
    Thanks for your reply! I thought the second tangent met the circle (according to the diagram) at the y intercept, I know that isn't the most mathematical way to do it but I was desperate, which is why I think I might have lost marks. I got the gradient as 2 and (0,10) then did y-10=2(x-0) to get y=2x+10?

I found the y intercept by setting x to zero and then factorising.
    The tangent doesn't meet the circle at (0,10) unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    The tangent doesn't meet the circle at (0,10) unfortunately.
    Thanks, I'm really confused as to what I did then but thanks anyways!! (Think I just got lucky lol but one mark for gradient is fine)

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know what the first question was?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrrexxxx)
    Anyone know what the first question was?
    Simplify (2x-3)^2-2(3-x)^2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    Simplify (2x-3)^2-2(3-x)^2.
    Was the OCR C1 any harder than usual?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    This was definitely the most difficult Core 1 ever.
    Wow, it really must have been hard! I didn't do the exam (I'm an A2 student) but there was lots of complaining at college this morning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    Was the OCR C1 any harder than usual?
    Yes a bit. Welcome back by the way.

Was Edexcel C1 noticeably harder than usual? I've just declined a request from a journalist to comment about it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    Yes a bit. Welcome back by the way.

Was Edexcel C1 noticeably harder than usual? I've just declined a request from a journalist to comment about it!
    Concept-wise no.
    Just ugly numbers which upset/slowed down some students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marioman)
    Wow, it really must have been hard! I didn't do the exam (I'm an A2 student) but there was lots of complaining at college this morning.
    Some of my stronger students were grumbling but I usually don't take a lot of notice as, in my experience, students often say this was the hardest paper ever. In this case, I think they had something to grumble about. I don't usually engage my brain at all to complete Core 1 but two or three times I had to stop to think on this paper.

ReputationRep:
    http://imgur.com/pNskLz6This was my working for q11. I know that everything past where I introduce alpha is completely wrong, just was wondering roughly how much I will get credited for the first chunk of my answer. Thanks a million

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by finn.thehuman)
    http://imgur.com/pNskLz6This was my working for q11. I know that everything past where I introduce alpha is completely wrong, just was wondering roughly how much I will get credited for the first chunk of my answer. Thanks a million
    I don't know where the marks will be awarded but that is worth at least 4.

ReputationRep:
    For 7(ii) I believe the equation of the curve was y = x(3x-x^2) or y = 3x^2 -x^3

And the question was a translation by 2 units parallel to the x axis

So can you just put 3(x-2)^2 - (x-2)^3 ?

There was hardly any space for multiplying that out so I don't see how you could put (5-x)(x-2)^2 ???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ana246)
    For 7(ii) I believe the equation of the curve was y = x(3x-x^2) or y = 3x^2 -x^3

And the question was a translation by 2 units parallel to the x axis

So can you just put 3(x-2)^2 - (x-2)^3 ?

There was hardly any space for multiplying that out so I don't see how you could put (5-x)(x-2)^2 ???
    That's the same thing - full marks.

And you wouldn't multiply out anyway. Factorisation is your friend.

ReputationRep:
    For 7i when drawing the graph was it okay to just draw a line from the origin along the x axis to the point (0,3) or was there a need to show the maximum point.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone remember what the q 8iii was. I'm not sure if I got it right or not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Devkj)
    For 7i when drawing the graph was it okay to just draw a line from the origin along the x axis to the point (0,3) or was there a need to show the maximum point.
    You needed to show the shape of a maximum between (0, 0) and (0, 3).

ReputationRep:
    Would i only drop one mark for not showing that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laura122334)
    Does anyone remember what the q 8iii was. I'm not sure if I got it right or not
    The normal at A meets the y axis at C. Find the y coordinate of C.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Devkj)
    Would i only drop one mark for not showing that.
    Yes.

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.