Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Let's try making a community MS again.
    Please PM me to be given editor permissions.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...nt=file%2cdocx

ReputationRep:
    Thankfully I don't think that paper was too bad. (Nothing like the horrendous M2 from Wednesday). I'll have dropped a mark for sure on the intersection points of the bisector and the circle on the argand diagram question because I couldn't remember how to do it, but everything else was fine.

(Original post by Gander01)
    The roots of the z after the substitution were 9+40i and 9-40i I believe, so you needed to use both other parts of the question to get a solution. Mine did involve some nasty fractions though, something over 41 I think, so I doubt I got it fully correct.
    I can't remember my exact answer, but got a similar fraction, so that sounds right to me.

ReputationRep:
    Posting the questions I remember - Starting to forget them already, might leave it at this for now, hopefully it helps at least.

Question 1: Find The sum from r=1 to n of (3r+1)(r-1) in terms of n

Question 2 i: Find z given arg(z) = - (1/3) pi and mod z = 2 sqrt(3) (unsure about this one, not sure I remembered the modulus correctly)
    ii: 1/(z*-5i)^2

Question 3: This was some simple matrix arithmetic, I can't remember the values in the matrices so if anyone can that would be appreciated. There were 3 matrices, A and B being 1 by 3 and C being 3 by 1. The first part was something like 2A+3B

Question 4: Find the square roots of 9+40i, and show that it is a root of x^2+18x+1681=0, hence find the roots of 1+18u+1681u^2
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    It was awful

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think I made so many stupid mistakes

ReputationRep:
    Question 6 was the most confusing for me.
    I think I got |z - 3 - 3i| = 5 for the equation, and 1+4i and 5+2i for the point of intersections.
    Did anyone else get those answers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SonicTails19)
    I think I got |z - 3 - 3i| = 5 for the equation, and 1+4i and 5+2i for the point of intersections.
    I got root 5 as radius

ReputationRep:
    Did everyone get q is reflection in the line y=-x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobby21231)
    I got root 5 as radius
    Correct it was root5 radius because the diameter was 2root5

ReputationRep:
    Yes that's what I got.

ReputationRep:
    Pretty sure that's what I put

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathematicus65)
    Yes that's what I got.
    (Original post by Stylesw)
    Pretty sure that's what I put
    Yay I might get some marks

ReputationRep:
    One of the easiest papers i think for 90 UMS it will be about 110%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SonicTails19)
    First part I got |z-(3+3i)|=sqrt(5) for. That's the question which I struggled on though, so don't take my word for it.

IIRC the question was that A= 1+2i and B= 5+4i so that AB is the diameter of a circle.

I got the center as (5+1)/2, (4+2)/2 = 3,3 and the radius as sqrt((3-1)^2+(3-2)^2))
    Hence |z-(3+3i)|=sqrt(5)

I couldn't do the intersection of the bisector though.

ReputationRep:
    I think for 6 it was actually 1+18u^2+1681u^4, I also can't remember if the 18 was a plus or minus

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sdhand)
    First part I got |z-(3+3i)|=sqrt(5) for. That's the question which I struggled on though, so don't take my word for it.

IIRC the question was that A= 1+2i and B= 5+4i so that AB is the diameter of a circle.

I got the center as (5+1)/2, (4+2)/2 = 3,3 and the radius as sqrt((3-1)^2+(3-2)^2))
    Hence |z-(3+3i)|=sqrt(5)

I couldn't do the intersection of the bisector though.
    Got the same for that, remember my two points of intersection were 2root 5 apart from one another and so I think they were correct, 4+i was one of them I think

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Is it just me or will those boundaries be disgustingly high?

ReputationRep:
    It was plus, just checked on wolfram alpha and this is what I put so I'm fairly certain the answers were +/-((4/41)+(5/41)i) and +/-((4/41)-(5/41)i)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Tbh the paper was relatively harder so I reckon grade boundaries will be about 57/72. Also, How many marks do I lose for not rationalizing my answers to the very last question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by airborne454)
    Tbh the paper was relatively harder so I reckon grade boundaries will be about 57/72. Also, How many marks do I lose for not rationalizing my answers to the very last question?
    Hopefully they will be like this because I probably made so many stupid mistakes

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.