Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Speaker Election (May 2016) - Round 2 Watch

• View Poll Results: Who should be elected Speaker?
    Saracen's Fez
    53.66%
    Airmed
    46.34%

• Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by cBay)
    I think it would actually be a good viability test before a new party is allowed to form. They have to be an independent grouping before hand, and if they get a certain number of seats in the general election (2, maybe 3?) then they can form as an official party and get their own subforum.
    And maintain activity of course, but yes, I completely agree

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Given the result from the first round i'm a little suprised that Airmed has not conceded but i admire the fighting spirit.

That being said, my vote is for Fez.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Given the result from the first round i'm a little suprised that Airmed has not conceded but i admire the fighting spirit.
    Why should she?

And IIRC from the debacle of an election where Faland was elected that would only mean the third-placed candidate standing against me instead.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    Why should she?

And IIRC from the debacle of an election where Faland was elected that would only mean the third-placed candidate standing against me instead.
    Correct, if Airmed were to withdraw, you would face a fresh run-off against the third place candidate. Similarly, if you were to withdraw, Airmed would face a fresh run-off against the third place candidate.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by adam9317)
    What would the candidate's views be on independent groupings, ie not a party, but some members with a small base working together.

Sorry if I haven't explained myself well.
    Elected on their own and form their own agreement, like they have in the Dail. I wouldn't ask the CT for their own sub forum though, as that would create hassle.

(Original post by Rakas21)

That being said, my vote is for Fez.
    I see no point in withdrawing. If I lose, I lose. If I win, I win.

(Original post by Jammy Duel)
    To both candidates, given the academic debate in the labour thread, what would your course of action be for two parties merging where both have seats?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'd say that the parties can merge, but if their seats were more than the original largest party, I wouldn't be comfortable allowing them to start negotiating to set up a new government. Mainly because that would make me question their motives if the new party immediately wanted to dive into government.

Wow, I'm a bit cynical. Apologies for the long wait on answering this. I wasn't online much yesterday.

(Original post by Airmed)
    Wow, I'm a bit cynical. Apologies for the long wait on answering this. I wasn't online much yesterday.
    Don't worry, I forgive you. But don't do it again.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Hydeman)
    Don't worry, I forgive you. But don't do it again.
    Omg, Hyde, get off my back!

(Should be getting laptop back on Monday! :woo:)
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I commend Airmed for not dropping out, however, the rational thing would be to withdraw if losing heavily, Airmed not withdrawing implies the poll is closer than members of the MHoC think; Airmed would be able to view the poll in her role as a Support Team member.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I'd say that the parties can merge, but if their seats were more than the original largest party, I wouldn't be comfortable allowing them to start negotiating to set up a new government. Mainly because that would make me question their motives if the new party immediately wanted to dive into government.

What's wrong if the new party's motive is to get into government?

Omg, Hyde, get off my back!
    Okay. :getmecoat:

Spoiler:
    Show
    It's in good humour, I'm sure you already know.

:danceboy:

(Should be getting laptop back on Monday! :woo:)
    (:woo: :woohoo:)
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Elected on their own and form their own agreement, like they have in the Dail. I wouldn't ask the CT for their own sub forum though, as that would create hassle.

I see no point in withdrawing. If I lose, I lose. If I win, I win.

No worries, it's academic anyway

(Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    I commend Airmed for not dropping out, however, the rational thing would be to withdraw if losing heavily, Airmed not withdrawing implies the poll is closer than members of the MHoC think; Airmed would be able to view the poll in her role as a Support Team member.
    The thing is withdrawing just draws out the process

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    Lovely to know that you think I have no honesty or integrity about me. I have nothing to gain by viewing the poll and I haven't anyway; I'm on mobile currently and being an ST member is hard enough on mobile.

(Original post by RayApparently)
    What's wrong if the new party's motive is to get into government?
    If they have merged just to be in government then I believe that to be a rather pathetic move.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    If they have merged just to be in government then I believe that to be a rather pathetic move.
    Surely if they had the seats to overthrow the government they could do so without merging, so why would it matter?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Surely if they had the seats to overthrow the government they could do so without merging, so why would it matter?
    It doesn't matter when they're separate parties. They should have worked better at negotiating to get into government originally. But merging mid term and playing the biggest party card would raise alarm bells with me.

Idk if this makes any sense.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    It doesn't matter when they're separate parties. They should have worked better at negotiating to get into government originally. But merging mid term and playing the biggest party card would raise alarm bells with me.

Idk if this makes any sense.
    Uhmmm...
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Uhmmm...
    It made no sense. Sorry. Bottom line: no merging of parties mid term. End term ok.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    A merger shouldn't have any effect upon who is in government anyway.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    A merger shouldn't have any effect upon who is in government anyway.
    It shouldn't but we can't predict what that new merger would want to do. I think my thinking is quite extreme tbh.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    It made no sense. Sorry. Bottom line: no merging of parties mid term. End term ok.
    Lol, k.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    It shouldn't but we can't predict what that new merger would want to do. I think my thinking is quite extreme tbh.
    I'd probably be more comfortable with them taking power through a successful VoNC as they could have done that as a coalition anyway (unless they had already been VoNCed earlier in the term).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Debate and current affairs forum guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.