The Student Room Group

How did you find the Edexcel FP1?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
I am intrigued to see this paper now..

It wasn't anything strange - I think finding the midpoint of a line threw people off and some weird awkward wording that's all.
Interested in seeing the paper too - I'd be happy to try and provide a correction
Reply 42
Original post by oShahpo
I got -2.03 for the angle.

Not negative as P was in top left quadrant.
Original post by JamieOH
Not negative as P was in top left quadrant.

Oh yea you're right, I took the angle I got away from pi. There was another negative angle though, right?
Reply 44
Original post by oShahpo
14/5 root2 or something similar.

15root2/4
Havent seen the paper yet, though the initial reaction doesn't help my nerves for FP2 and FP3 :laugh:
Original post by JamieOH
Perpendicular I put? If R was 5? Maybe it wasnt

Original post by oShahpo
I didn't say the gradient was the same, I proved it they were parallel however using the ideas of vectors, that is that OA = 2 * PR, would I lose a mark for that?

The two lines were parallel from what I got, both had a gradient of -2.
@JamieOH I don't think they were perpendicular as they weren't at right angles

@oShahpo I don't know, I might have lost a mark for not mentioning the length/vectors or you might have lost a mark for not mentioning the gradient.... who knows :frown:
Original post by themechguy
The two lines were parallel from what I got, both had a gradient of -2.
@JamieOH I don't think they were perpendicular as they weren't at right angles

@oShahpo I don't know, I might have lost a mark for not mentioning the length/vectors or you might have lost a mark for not mentioning the gradient.... who knows :frown:

I did mention they have the same length, arghh I would be angry if I lost a mark for not mentioning the gradient.
That paper was horrible! I'd been working so hard to get an A (I much prefer the applied stuff) and was managing to do it ok. I couldn't get the answer to the parabola part 1, I got the y(p+q) =2x (or something like that) but not the last bit.
Also I only got the 1st proof by subtracting k+1 not adding it.

WHAT HAPPENED??????
Reply 49
Original post by oShahpo
I did mention they have the same length, arghh I would be angry if I lost a mark for not mentioning the gradient.

I think it was like 1 mark, so I literally just stated parallel, it was fairly obvious from the diagram. Not sure they asked for a formal proof.
Original post by edothero
Havent seen the paper yet, though the initial reaction doesn't help my nerves for FP2 and FP3 :laugh:

Wasn't really hard at all, nothing mentally challenging. Some questions might have been poorly worded and some questions were lengthy, but that's all.
Original post by Armpits
I think it was like 1 mark, so I literally just stated parallel, it was fairly obvious from the diagram. Not sure they asked for a formal proof.

It was definitely 2 marks.
For the relationship between the two chords I said they were parallel as the gradient was the same.

I wrote that the length of one was double the other
For the relationship between the two chords I said they were parallel as the gradient was the same.

haha yeah, I only realised that the imaginary part = 0 in a real number with about 5 minutes to go, i think i had 20 seconds left when i got onto part e, how many marks was that question? 1 or 2?
Original post by oShahpo
I got -2.03 for the angle.

I don't remember entirely but I think x was negative and y was positive, giving +2.03.
Original post by Unravelling
I don't remember entirely but I think x was negative and y was positive, giving +2.03.

Yea it definitely is +2.03, I took the angle I got away from pi. There must have been another negative angle though, right?
Original post by oShahpo
I didn't say the gradient was the same, I proved it they were parallel however using the ideas of vectors, that is that OA = 2 * PR, would I lose a mark for that?

I anticipate:

B1 parallel
B1 gradient -2/same length shown or stated

I said parallel, gradient -2, both making an angle of 26 or so degrees with the horizontal

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Armpits
15root2/4

Yea, I have the memory of a gerbil.
Reply 58
Wonder how I got they were perpendiuclar... Was it QR and OP right? I had R as 5?
Reply 59
It was 2.03 because the complex number was -1+2i , therefore you do pi - tan-1(2/1) = 2.03....

You might have put -1 into the tan part which could screw things up, but because the argument was clearly less than or equal to pi and greater than 0, you know it must be a positive answer for the argument. Either way, if you put -2.03 I'm sure that's only 1 mark deducted as you performed the calculations correctly

Quick Reply

Latest