Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by honey55497)
    foundation or higher
    I'm not sure about foundation, I'm doing higher and that is was people were saying. If you are doing foundation, maybe look at the past papers and try to predict what'll come up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GCSEstudentt)
    Can you give me a few points/quotes on Slim and Curley please?
    Slim and Curley both come under the theme of masculinity for different reasons. Steinbeck attacks ideas of masculinity in Of Mice and Men. Curley tries to act tough, my teacher described him as having "little-man syndrome" where a man is physically small and so tries to act tough and counteract this. "His glance was at once calculating and pugnacious" shows that Curley is trying to act tough but the adjective "calculating" shows that Curley knows that Lennie is much bigger than him and is thus being careful about what he does. This is reinforced by the use of the adverb "gingerly", which too suggests that Curley knows he could easily be overpowered in a fight and is being very careful. We know that Curley wants to make himself look masculine as he has a wife and the "glove full of vaseline" is used as a constant reminder to the rest of the ranch workers that he is more masculine, although we know that there is no true relationship between him and his wife, showing that this marriage is just for show.
    Also, when they first meet Curley, he had his elbows "still bent out a little" to show off his muscles and this pose shows that he is always ready for a fight. Candy says he "hates big guys" and "he's kinda mad at 'em because he ain't a big guy" to further reinforce this idea of "little-man syndrome". Candy also describes Curley as wearing "high-heeled boots" but Candy says that "Slim don't need to wear no high-heeled boots on a grain team". Slim is seen as masculine because of intelligence, rather than muscles which is how Curley sets out to be. Slim is looked up to by the workers, he has the final say when Candy's dog is shot. There is a nice passage at the start of chapter 3 when George and Slim talk about George and Lennie's past, this passage further depicts Slim as someone who the ranch workers look up to, and it is this which makes him masculine. Steinbeck does this through the use of religious imagery, for example "God-like eyes fastened on him" could show how that Slim has the ability to see through George, almost as if he knows what George was going to say. This is also reinforced (in chapter 2) when Slim's "ear heard more than was said to him" and furthermore when "his slow speech had overtones not of thought, but overtones beyond thought". The religious imagery continues when "George's voice was taking on the tone of a confession". A confession, usually in a Catholic Church, is when you would go into a small box with the Priest, separated by a window and you would confess your sins to them. This shows that George, having only talked to him for only a few minutes, already can trust Slim to the point where he can tell him the darker side to his past with Lennie.

There are more points on Slim and Curley. For more about Slim I would look towards the end of chapter two, and you should recognise a few of the quotes. Good luck for your exam.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone have any predictions for Journey's End? My teacher thinks it could be Trotter or Stanhope if we are really lucky since the last question on him was quite long ago. Any other predictions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

ReputationRep:
    what do you think will be coming up for OMAM and AIC???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 11BThornton)
    Slim and Curley both come under the theme of masculinity for different reasons. Steinbeck attacks ideas of masculinity in Of Mice and Men. Curley tries to act tough, my teacher described him as having "little-man syndrome" where a man is physically small and so tries to act tough and counteract this. "His glance was at once calculating and pugnacious" shows that Curley is trying to act tough but the adjective "calculating" shows that Curley knows that Lennie is much bigger than him and is thus being careful about what he does. This is reinforced by the use of the adverb "gingerly", which too suggests that Curley knows he could easily be overpowered in a fight and is being very careful. We know that Curley wants to make himself look masculine as he has a wife and the "glove full of vaseline" is used as a constant reminder to the rest of the ranch workers that he is more masculine, although we know that there is no true relationship between him and his wife, showing that this marriage is just for show.
    Also, when they first meet Curley, he had his elbows "still bent out a little" to show off his muscles and this pose shows that he is always ready for a fight. Candy says he "hates big guys" and "he's kinda mad at 'em because he ain't a big guy" to further reinforce this idea of "little-man syndrome". Candy also describes Curley as wearing "high-heeled boots" but Candy says that "Slim don't need to wear no high-heeled boots on a grain team". Slim is seen as masculine because of intelligence, rather than muscles which is how Curley sets out to be. Slim is looked up to by the workers, he has the final say when Candy's dog is shot. There is a nice passage at the start of chapter 3 when George and Slim talk about George and Lennie's past, this passage further depicts Slim as someone who the ranch workers look up to, and it is this which makes him masculine. Steinbeck does this through the use of religious imagery, for example "God-like eyes fastened on him" could show how that Slim has the ability to see through George, almost as if he knows what George was going to say. This is also reinforced (in chapter 2) when Slim's "ear heard more than was said to him" and furthermore when "his slow speech had overtones not of thought, but overtones beyond thought". The religious imagery continues when "George's voice was taking on the tone of a confession". A confession, usually in a Catholic Church, is when you would go into a small box with the Priest, separated by a window and you would confess your sins to them. This shows that George, having only talked to him for only a few minutes, already can trust Slim to the point where he can tell him the darker side to his past with Lennie.

There are more points on Slim and Curley. For more about Slim I would look towards the end of chapter two, and you should recognise a few of the quotes. Good luck for your exam.
    Omg wow thank you so much, I sincerely hope yo do amazing in your exams

ReputationRep:
    I think it will be Gerald for An Inspector Calls.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone have any predictions what will come up for the Sunlight On The Grass Anthology?

ReputationRep:
    if it is gerald then i'm picking the theme question cos I don't think i can right insightful exploratory about him

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My teacher said there is a possibility a character may not even be an option for AIC as it has happened before, however I pray it will

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing the Crucible and OMAM, I want to do a practice essay on Danforth before tomorrow. Does anyone have a question I could answer?

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking Calpurnia for the TKAM question, Sheila or Gerald for the first AIC question, and Responsibility or Time for the second one.

ReputationRep:
    Setting may come up for OMAM, but I hope not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cantstudyhungry)
    http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects...-SPAM-2014.PDF

The Higher paper starts on page 55
    For the TKAM extract question higher , how would you write something insightful?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    In TKAM higher has courage ever come up as part b???

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elliemayanne)
    In TKAM higher has courage ever come up as part b???

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't think so but i hope so cos i've kinda revised mrs dubose so i could relate it to her

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rihana.c)
    I don't think so but i hope so cos i've kinda revised mrs dubose so i could relate it to her
    Exactly it is my favourite theme

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elliemayanne)
    Exactly it is my favourite theme

Posted from TSR Mobile
    For courage, have you done Mrs Dubose, Atticus, Boo and the children (when they try to go to Boo Radley's house)

ReputationRep:
    Any advice for Curious Incident? Any predictions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rihana.c)
    For courage, have you done Mrs Dubose, Atticus, Boo and the children (when they try to go to Boo Radley's house)
    yes, I'm thinking if courage is the wider question the extract should be on mrs dubose

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shado.)
    Our english teachers reckon Danforth is going to come up as the character question for The Crucible
    I agree, either Danforth or Elizabeth Proctor

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.