Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I go to a grammar school with most predicted A* and we still all found it B.S. The question about the bike was very strange, as was the runners reaction time. I put reacting to stimulus of another runner starting sprint finsh and reacting quickly to change pace accordingly. And knowing Edexcel, the mark scheme will screw us all over in the end. Holding out hope for an A....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BGSstuden)
    I go to a grammar school with most predicted A* and we still all found it B.S. The question about the bike was very strange, as was the runners reaction time. I put reacting to stimulus of another runner starting sprint finsh and reacting quickly to change pace accordingly. And knowing Edexcel, the mark scheme will screw us all over in the end. Holding out hope for an A....
    Everyone else thinks the paper was great.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellieffion)
    what ones did you get wrong?
    The one where you had to name the risks and how you could prevent it..I mentioned wearing a helmet on one, and wearing a life jacket on the other..but now I've been told that it had to be different (like couldn't both be clothing.)
    Also read the 800m runner one incorrect, along with the 5/6th question can't remember the exact wording of it

ReputationRep:
    I also got 48/50 haha. For the last six mark question I wrote about antagonistic muscle pairs, flexion and extension, isotonic movement, how the skeletal system supports movement etc. I hope I got that right!
    Yep i wrote about that too! One of my friends wrote about ligaments and tendons and that, I am pretty sure you did not need to include that though.

ReputationRep:
    For the other aim I wrote that they create opportunities for talented performers to reach elite level
    Same

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helpmepickone)
    What did you guys write for the 'why are performance enhancing drugs banned?'
    I wrote that they give people a fair advantage so sports is no longer a test of human ability but rather how drugs enhance performance, and that thsy have dangerous side effects, including death, which means they are unsafe to use.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kennethdcharles)
    Yep i wrote about that too! One of my friends wrote about ligaments and tendons and that, I am pretty sure you did not need to include that though.
    I did not write about that either but who knows if that was right? haha

ReputationRep:
    For the risks ones I put muscle strain for ice hockey and warm up effectively and then drowining and wearing a life jacket, What did you guys put about the interval training for the 10,000m runner and the 100m sprinter? And what did you put for the 1st 6 mark question about why elite performers should have balanced diet? So worried because the exam screwed me up and I'm expected an A*😂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dannywoodhams678)
    For the risks ones I put muscle strain for ice hockey and warm up effectively and then drowining and wearing a life jacket, What did you guys put about the interval training for the 10,000m runner and the 100m sprinter? And what did you put for the 1st 6 mark question about why elite performers should have balanced diet? So worried because the exam screwed me up and I'm expected an A*😂
    For the risks one I put getting hit in the head by a hockey stick and wearing a helmet, then drowning, and wearing life jackets, having life boats, and ropes. I hope I get the marks for that.

For the interval question, I wrote that a 10000m runner would run for about 10 minutes, have a 2-5 minute break and go again, but the pace would be a fast jog, and they would repeat this about 3 times. 100m runners would sprint for 10 seconds, have a 30 second rest and go again, about 5 times. The key is full speed. Wasn't sure about this one.

Balanced diet; each macronutrient and each micronutrient and how they help the performer (e.g carbs for energy, protein growth and repair, minerals e.g iron for blood and haemoglobin, calcium for bones).

I'm also expected an A* and I'm unsure about if I got that.

What did you get for those questions?

ReputationRep:
    Ah sweet okay thanks, I think I completely screwed up the interval one and went back to it at the end and just guessed and said something stupid like the 10,000m runner would set the distance much further and at a low intensity 60-80% MHR and the opposite for the 100m sprinter. Yeah I did more or less the same thing as you for the balanced diet, I talked about iron preventing anemia and calcium for bone density preventing osteoporosis later on in late etc. I'm sure we both did fine. What did you get on your practical? I got 48/50 and needed like 66 for an A* which I did in my mock but not so sure about the exam but I'm still hoping. Hope you hit that A*!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dannywoodhams678)
    Ah sweet okay thanks, I think I completely screwed up the interval one and went back to it at the end and just guessed and said something stupid like the 10,000m runner would set the distance much further and at a low intensity 60-80% MHR and the opposite for the 100m sprinter. Yeah I did more or less the same thing as you for the balanced diet, I talked about iron preventing anemia and calcium for bone density preventing osteoporosis later on in late etc. I'm sure we both did fine. What did you get on your practical? I got 48/50 and needed like 66 for an A* which I did in my mock but not so sure about the exam but I'm still hoping. Hope you hit that A*!
    I believe I got 48 or 49, can't quite remember.
    Yeah in my mock I got an A*, not sure here; really hope so!

Hope you got the A* too.

ReputationRep:
    This is fine, providing on the ice hockey one you didn't say protective equipment e.g helme

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, i am a PE teacher and it was a kind paper, despite some poorly worded questions. Here is some brief guidance to answers on particular questions;

1. Drugs in sport- ethical reasons (e.g cheating/unfair and example), health implications (and example i.e diuretics leads to dehydration), role model to others

2- Bike question- talk about specificity and how it is relevant to his sport

3- Ice hockey/sailing question- protective clothing, playing surface or equipment (make sure you didnt say helmet for ice hockey and life jacket for sailing as they are both protective gear).

4- Elite athlete balanced diet- Remember this question was a discussion so introduce macro and micronutrients. Then give example of why each one is important referring it to elite athletes i.e high protein is important for a weightlifter where as a high carb diet is essential for Mo Farah as they are broken down easier . Fats for a Sumo wrestler due to resistance. However carbohydrates are important for weightlifting before a session as it requires a lot of energy. Remember you then should have concluded.

5- Skeletal and muscular system- make 3 explainations for each system.

Skeletal- hinge joint at the patella. Flexion extension in each position. The role of ligaments
    Muscular- Isotonic movement. Antagonistic pairs. Hamstring contracts, quadriceps relax and vice versa.

ReputationRep:
    Hi thanks for that! If you've seen the whole paper, or would you care to make an unofficial mark scheme? This would be really helpful to us to reduce panic come results day! Thanks
    (Original post by Connors8888)
    Hi guys, i am a PE teacher and it was a kind paper, despite some poorly worded questions. Here is some brief guidance to answers on particular questions;

1. Drugs in sport- ethical reasons (e.g cheating/unfair and example), health implications (and example i.e diuretics leads to dehydration), role model to others

2- Bike question- talk about specificity and how it is relevant to his sport

3- Ice hockey/sailing question- protective clothing, playing surface or equipment (make sure you didnt say helmet for ice hockey and life jacket for sailing as they are both protective gear).

4- Elite athlete balanced diet- Remember this question was a discussion so introduce macro and micronutrients. Then give example of why each one is important referring it to elite athletes i.e high protein is important for a weightlifter where as a high carb diet is essential for Mo Farah as they are broken down easier . Fats for a Sumo wrestler due to resistance. However carbohydrates are important for weightlifting before a session as it requires a lot of energy. Remember you then should have concluded.

5- Skeletal and muscular system- make 3 explainations for each system.

Skeletal- hinge joint at the patella. Flexion extension in each position. The role of ligaments
    Muscular- Isotonic movement. Antagonistic pairs. Hamstring contracts, quadriceps relax and vice versa.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.