Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What's the best life lesson you've learnt thus far? Watch

• Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    (Original post by z33)
    - Trust no one
    - No one gives a **** about you... except your Mum maybe
    - Your feelings don't matter to anyone and people who claim to be there for you aren't and hate it when you tell them about your problems
    - You need to know when to let certain people and certain things go
    - Life is short and fragile as **** so handle with care
    - Don't bother chasing your dreams... cos reality has already ****ed you over before you even start
    - You can't change the rules of the game
    - It ALWAYS gets worse... unless you pull that stick out of your ass and do something about it
    - You're just a number in a rough estimate of some statistic and nothing more
    - Nothing matters really. For millions of years people have come and gone, and no one's talking about Alice's great great great great great grandmother's A level results so who ****ing cares what happens just make the most of your time so when your time comes you don't regret anything.

Quite a lot of people care about you though...

ReputationRep:
    not all that glitters are gold

things are not always what they seem,

sometimes we just have to sit back and let life happen

ReputationRep:
    Nothing really matters. Life is transient so you may do as you wish with it. I find the idea to be both reassuring and terrifying in equal measure but hey ho.

ReputationRep:
    if it looks too good to be true it will be 99.999% of the time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoolCavy)
    Quite a lot of people care about you though...
    lol not really
    thanks tho <3 x3
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    Everything is ****

/end thread
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    (Original post by z33)
    lol not really
    thanks tho <3 x3
    Well i do and ik other people do so that is like at least 4 people straight away x
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    Humans are evil.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoolCavy)
    Well i do and ik other people do so that is like at least 4 people straight away x
    you care about z33 not me :lol: but thanks still <333 I 'ppreciate it

ReputationRep:
    Adding some positive life lessons in for balance.

You learn from the mistakes you make.
    So mistakes should not be chastised or laboured over - they are opportunities to learn, to grow, to improve.

You regret the things you didn't do more than the things you did.
    In general I think this is definitely true, it's always worse to look back and think "what if" or "I wish I'd done that" than it is to be regretful over a choice (especially considering the point above)

It is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.
    People, myself included, often get so afraid of letting themselves love and care because of the fear of rejection or pain. But I don't regret loving any of the people I have and to deny yourself of this experience for the sake of your pride is in my opinion a silly decision.

A friend in need is a friend indeed.
    Bit cheesy I suppose, but when you really need people, like if you're in a hole or you need someone to take you somewhere or simply just be there this is when your true friends will reveal themselves, at the drop of a hat.

Time is a healer
    Again this is a bit of a cliche but for the most part it is true that as time goes by the pain gets less and you adapt. Humans are built to adapt and survive....and this leads to my next life lesson which is....

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Omg cringing at how standard these lines are but again I believe this. When things are really tough, when you're at the lowest of the low and you think you can't go on any longer or you can't get through- those times, that struggle, it does make you stronger and more resilient. It's kind of like the immune system but a sort of invisible force that gains strength through every battle you endure.

Happiness isn't relative, but absolute
    This is something I think is extremely important. You should never be happy because someone has worse circumstances, or unhappy because someone has better. You need to find happiness within and even if you objectively have a good life and people think you should be happy, if you are not, that is what matters. Never let people belittle your right to feel anything. What you feel is what you are.

Words are powerful
    People underestimate the power of words. With one text, one gesture, one hello you can make someone's day. On the flipside, with one insult, one catty comment, or even throwing 'shade' can upset someone, can hurt them, can intensify their insecurities or throw them off a balance they are desperately trying to keep. Be careful with what you say to people. Because words can and do hurt, and even kill.

If you don't ask, you don't get
    I mean seriously if you don't ask for something, nobody is going to bring it to you on a plate and be like there you go. I've lost count of the times I've had a nice word with a receptionist or train inspector and got upgrades. Recently I got offered a job, and I knew they liked me and although the money was good I knew I could push them. So I asked for an extra 8k a year and said I had an offer from somewhere else that matched that and they went away and came back and agreed. But if I hadn't asked for this they wouldn't have rang me and been like btw want some extra cash? Lol they would have just smiled at snapping me up for a bargain like dat.

I could go on forever...

Gonna stop now. XD

ReputationRep:
    Don't do drugs

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Keep trying until you make it, even if it means failing many times

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markreed)
    The best life lesson I've learnt is that no one cares.

That sounds harsh at first, but I came to the realisation that no one (a part from maybe celebrities) is under as much intense scrutiny from other people as they lead themselves to believe.

It means that you're free to make mistakes, free to say the wrong things, free to make the wrong choices as long as you learn from them because no one exists solely to put you down and nitpick at all the missteps you've made in life.

When I came to that realisation, I felt like a huge weight was lifted off of my shoulders.
    This is the most important thing you can learn. That awkward conversation on the train? I don't think they thought about it as much as you did, even if they did, why would it matter?

ReputationRep:
    I don't get why a lot of people say no-one cares and you can't trust anyone.

Sure, in life, you cannot trust many people that is for sure, and probably not many people care that much but there are certainly some people who care for you and people you can trust.

It might be less than you can count on one hand but it is still > 0 and when you find these people you hold onto them for dear life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KoreanSpammer)

Sure, in life, you cannot trust many people that is for sure, and probably not many people care that much but there are certainly some people who care for you and people you can trust.

It might be less than you can count on one hand but it is still > 0 and when you find these people you hold onto them for dear life.
    This. You will know when you care about a person more than life itself and they care about you. It's a wonderful yet scary feeling.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by George VI)
    This is the most important thing you can learn. That awkward conversation on the train? I don't think they thought about it as much as you did, even if they did, why would it matter?
    Exactly! I'm glad I learned it relatively early in life. I just feel like I've saved my brain from a whole lot of unnecessary over-complication haha.

ReputationRep:

I dunno if this was in response to me or not but eh.

I should've clarified myself a bit more. When I said "no one cares" I meant that no one really remembers all the little mistakes or times that you've messed up whether that be socially or in some other capacity. And no one's out to get you and remind you of all the times you've screwed up or nitpick at you for how crappy you look today (this applies to most mature adults/humans. Bullies and general dicks are a different kettle of fish). That kind of thing.

Of course there are people who care about you, I'm not a complete pessimist haha.

ReputationRep:
    You think you are prepared, but you are never 100% prepared..For anything!

ReputationRep:

Because you can't.

Ultimately humans are inherently selfish and don't give a **** about anyone but themselves whether consciously or subconsciously.
    Those people may be there for you every day when you need them but once you **** up or do something they don't like they're gone in an instant. And when they know too much you're ****ed. Either directly or indirectly.

ReputationRep:
    Honesty is the best policy

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.