Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully it's a leave.

Finally some excitement closer to home.

Also it would be funny to see all the Leavers come to terms with how nothing will be as they hoped it would, the fresh start being a failure.

And maybe it's the kickstart the EU needs to reform itself.

ReputationRep:
    it's too big a change for the UK to actually leave. probably won't happen. enjoy being convinced that you live in democracy, though. :^)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inhuman)
    Hopefully it's a leave.

Finally some excitement closer to home.

Also it would be funny to see all the Leavers come to terms with how nothing will be as they hoped it would, the fresh start being a failure.

And maybe it's the kickstart the EU needs to reform itself.
    Omg you think if we remain the EU will be more open to reform? Have you seen how the EU dictators are behaving NOW pre referendum!?

There is more chance of the EU assassinating every LEAVE voter post Remain win than reform lmfao - JUST WOWW

ReputationRep:
    I'm voting out but I'm pretty sure we'll end up staying in. Also can't British expats vote? They're most likely going to want to remain in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladymusiclover)
    I'm voting out but I'm pretty sure we'll end up staying in. Also can't British expats vote? They're most likely going to want to remain in.
    They can if they were a citizen in the last 15 years

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daniel9998)
    Will the UK leave the EU? What do you guys think? Seems like everyone I know is voting leave
    really? I actually don't know a single person who's leave. it seems everyday we hear about a new important guy saying we should stay cause otherwise there'll be a recession etcetera. I don't know this is just my experience. unfortunately I'm too young to vote

ReputationRep:
    Easily more people wanting to leave than remain from my interactions. But you know how it goes. They get cold feet in the polling booth and go with the status quo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KimKallstrom)
    Easily more people wanting to leave than remain from my interactions. But you know how it goes. They get cold feet in the polling booth and go with the status quo.
    Or you interact more with people like you? Or you start talking about Leave and they don't necessarily want to start an argument?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Flammae)
    I seem to know a lot more people who want to remain
    That's called being part of the demographic that have been brought up post Maastricht and know nothing other than being told how great the EU is.

As for my predictions, it's very heavily dependent on the turnout and thus the weather. A nice day will I reckon see 55:45 remain, poor weather 52:48 leave.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KimKallstrom)
    I think for most people its a sense of confirmation basis- we hang around like minded people so expect them to see things the same way as us. Most people I talk to about it are either voting in or don't know/care.

My old next door neighbor once complained for some length to me that at his sons's university they had a mural commemorating the Tienanmen square massacre, and for real said that 'they never do anything like that to celebrate our losses and our world wars'. Later he mentioned he would be voting to Leave the EU but he said they'll probably be labelled as a bunch of racists and lose the referendum.

Next month we moved out and sold the house to a Doctor and his family (Who happened to be black) and he decided to erect a massive fence in between the gardens...

(No, not all brexiters are crazy racists...although all crazy racists are brexiters )

ReputationRep:
    Its pretty common / standard to erect a fence between your garden and somebody elses

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    That's called being part of the demographic that have been brought up post Maastricht and know nothing other than being told how great the EU is.
    e.

It must be a real ego boost to brexiters, that as well as being heroic resistance fighters to a totalitarian EU state hell bent on straightening bannanas, that they are all masters of cognition and haveing eluded the EU propaganda managed to find somehow, the anti establishment bastions of truth in The Sun, Telegraph, Mail, Express etc.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)
    I think for most people its a sense of confirmation basis- we hang around like minded people so expect them to see things the same way as us. Most people I talk to about it are either voting in or don't know/care.

My old next door neighbor once complained for some length to me that at his sons's university they had a mural commemorating the Tienanmen square massacre, and for real said that 'they never do anything like that to celebrate our losses and our world wars'. Later he mentioned he would be voting to Leave the EU but he said they'll probably be labelled as a bunch of racists and lose the referendum.

Next month we moved out and sold the house to a Doctor and his family (Who happened to be black) and he decided to erect a massive fence in between the gardens...

(No, not all brexiters are crazy racists...although all crazy racists are brexiters )
    Has he ever been outside?

He should go to any countryside village/town. They all have a flipping memorial to WWI.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)

It's not confirmation bias because I'm voting to remain! I assure you the vast majority of people I have spoken to about are wanting to leave. It's only really middle-class people and a scattering of others (sons people of immigrant stock who associate Brexit with racism for some reason) who haven't had this sentiment. Everyone else has.

Tons of people like tradesmen for example would love to leave. Trust me, go to any pub in the country not associated with students or middle-class yuppies etc and most people there will be more inclined to leave, but like I said, when it comes down to it, loads won't. An element perhaps the Remain campaign relying quite a lot on shaming anyone who disagrees with anything they say as bigotry but as I said, mainly because status quo wins unless a massive tide comes. Not enough people outside of the hardcore fully hate the EU to see this happening

ReputationRep:

As for my predictions, it's very heavily dependent on the turnout and thus the weather. A nice day will I reckon see 55:45 remain, poor weather 52:48 leave.
    Noticed that there is no Eurocup game on June 23rd? Very convenient.

Nevermind that there are planned games for June 21 and 22. Also, during the last Eurocup, there was a game on June 23rd.

If I was a conspiracy theorist, I would say the EU and UEFA certainly coordinated that one.

If you don't have a strong opinion or are not sure on election date, just DON'T vote. It is unfair to people who have gone through the trouble to know what is at stake.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by plstudent)
    Noticed that there is no Eurocup game on June 23rd? Very convenient.

Nevermind that there are planned games for June 21 and 22. Also, during the last Eurocup, there was a game on June 23rd.

If I was a conspiracy theorist, I would say the EU and UEFA certainly coordinated that one.
    One one the 23rd would be better than 21st and 22nd when it comes to a vote to remain, a match on the 23rd is too late to influence the result, 22nd and 21st will.

ReputationRep:
    One one the 23rd would be better than 21st and 22nd, a match on the 23rd is too late to influence the result, 22nd and 21st will.
    How so? June 23rd would reduce turnout from people who don't really care. Games on the previous dates will stop people from making up their minds and watching the debates.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    How so? June 23rd would reduce turnout from people who don't really care. Games on the previous dates will stop people from making up their minds and watching the debates.
    23rd would reduce the turnout of those likely to vote to leave, also a loss in the days before could also shift people on the fence towards leaving given how fickle people are.

ReputationRep:
    23rd would reduce the turnout of those likely to vote to leave,
    No, the opposite, it would reduce turnout from average Joes who prefer watching the games instead of voting. People who are passionate will go and vote game or not.

also a loss in the days before could also shift people on the fence towards leaving given how fickle people are.
    That is not very likely to happen, though.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    No, the opposite, it would reduce turnout from average Joes who prefer watching the games instead of voting. People who are passionate will go and vote game or not.
    Exactly, and that variety of average Joe is generally a leaver, not a remainer

That is not very likely to happen, though.
    Implying we will win?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.