Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Do you want Turkey to join the EU? watch

• View Poll Results: Do you want Turkey to join the EU?
    I want Turkey to join the EU
    13.27%
    I do not want Turkey to join the EU
    86.73%

ReputationRep:
    A little quick reading for anybody watching this before matey responds with God only knows what: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Access...European_Union

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michael3C)
    Is it meant to prolong the inevitable at great fiscal cost?
    You are dodging the question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inhuman)
    You are dodging the question.
    I haven't dodged anything, I worked you, there is a huge difference and one which I'm not surprised you missed in your relentless attitude for some interaction with me, which has thus far been pretty embarrassing for you.

You championed the power of the veto and I got you cornered with the fact it's a flawed veto in the sense that history has proved on multiple occasions that it is a mere stumbling block (or halt, as the EU commision actually calls it in formal reports) that comes at great expense to the EU budget and resources as the commission pushes for what IT wants.

ReputationRep:
    Veto or no Veto, Turkey will join the EU one day as it is the intention of the EU for them to do so.

The simple question is, as a UK citizen, do you want them to?

If you do, what do you perceive as the benefits?

If you don't, what do you perceive as the negatives?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I do not want Turkey to join the EU. I do not want the UK to be a member of the EU, which is why I will be voting to leave. So it's a bit of a catch 22. But the idea that a country of very low income, who carries out dubious political actions (such as turning a blind eye to ISIS crossing their territory, a country which borders to Syria being given legal right to its citizens to enter the UK to me, is madness and damn irresponsible for our national interests and security.

Cameron has wanted Turkey to join for years and petitioned for such. Now he has done a U-Turn on his beliefs when questioned with the referendum looming. He cannot be trusted.

Cameron claiming it will be decades before Turkey joins is such a mute point because it effects my children and my Grandchildren.
    You know its British foreign policy to try and expand the European Union as much as possible. Wanna know why? To dilute German influence in Europe! I mean as far as a policy goes its just wrong on so many levels. WW2 was over 70 years ago! And Germany is not a threat, these other countries joining are, particularly Turkey.

I want to stay in Europe but if Turkey joined I would have some serious reservations about staying. And I agree, expanding Europe's borders so that we neighbour countries like Syria. At least at the moment Turkey can sort of be used like a buffer state. Also, I DO NOT WANT Turkish people to have free movement in Europe. NO NO NO NO NO! Maybe if it were 10 years ago, before ISIS, and before Turkey became started becoming more extreme, but not now, absolutely not!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aeroline1999)
    Also, I DO NOT WANT Turkish people to have free movement in Europe. NO NO NO NO NO!
    Better vote out then, because they would if they joined the EU, and as highlighted above the EU wants this to happen, so does Mr Cameron.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't dodged anything, I worked you, there is a huge difference and one which I'm not surprised you missed in your relentless attitude for some interaction with me, which has thus far been pretty embarrassing for you.

You championed the power of the veto and I got you cornered with the fact it's a flawed veto in the sense that history has proved on multiple occasions that it is a mere stumbling block (or halt, as the EU commision actually calls it in formal reports) that comes at great expense to the EU budget and resources as the commission pushes for what IT wants.
    The only people who think my interaction with you is embarrassing are those that hold the same beliefs as you.

And regarding the second paragraph, do you honestly hand to heart believe what you just wrote there? You got me cornered? I am trembling.

So answer my question if you got me cornered. It's the least you can do, you know, the wish of a dying man.

Is a veto meant to be permanent or not?

ReputationRep:
    Better vote out then, because they would if they joined the EU, and as highlighted above the EU wants this to happen, so does Mr Cameron.
    Or stop crazy BRITISH policy to increase Europe as much as possible. Europe's expansion to include weak and unstable countries was purely our fault, and we pushed for it.

I really don't want to leave. I like Europe and consider myself European and British.

ReputationRep:
    I think the "In" crew probably find your arguments embarrassing also at this point.

Google:

"A veto – Latin for "I forbid" – is the power (used by an officer of the state, for example) to unilaterally stop an official action, especially the enactment of legislation."

Now transpose the meaning of the word to a system which will merely halt something, and then relentlessly push for it with finance, guidance and representation until it gets its way.

Now does the word Veto, or stumbling-block seem more appropriate in the face of reality?

You can call it a "cucumber" or a "dishwasher"for what its worth - it is what it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aeroline1999)
    Or stop crazy BRITISH policy to increase Europe as much as possible. Europe's expansion to include weak and unstable countries was purely our fault, and we pushed for it.

I really don't want to leave. I like Europe and consider myself European and British.
    1. British policy can't change anything at this point. It would be a case of leaving the EU and its governing rules.

2. You would still be part of Europe if we left, we just wouldn't be part of the European Commision - they are two very different things.

ReputationRep:
    And regarding the second paragraph, do you honestly hand to heart believe what you just wrote there? You got me cornered? I am trembling.
    You're proving you are taking everything so personal now to the extent I actually think I am talking to a child. By cornered, I mean I have literally got you saying the EU veto is both:

1 All powerful (by inference that it can stop Turkey joining).

and

2. Limited (by inference that it won't last)

Make your mind up, which argument do you want to go with, because so far your lack of knowledge and understanding hasn't done you well on either, and the mere fact I easily cornered you into the above shows you are out of your depth here and do not know what you are talking about.

ReputationRep:
    You're proving you are taking everything so personal now to the extent I actually think I am talking to a child. By cornered, I mean I have literally got you saying the EU veto is both:

1 All powerful (by inference that it can stop Turkey joining).

and

2. Limited (by inference that it won't last)

Make your mind up, which argument do you want to go with, because so far your lack of knowledge and understanding hasn't done you well on either, and the mere fact I easily cornered you into the above shows you are out of your depth here and do not know what you are talking about.
    Are you actually a troll? How does stopping the vote on Turkey joining imply it is all powerful?

Anyway, you are finally getting closer to your own demise.

1. Did it stop Turkey from joining? Yes. You admitted as such above. That means it is working as intended, a vote was made about a country to join the EU. One country did not want that country to join, they vetoed, the country did not join.

2. Is the veto meant to be permanent? Or even better question, are countries allowed only a single attempt (a single vote) on whether they are allowed to join?

Two simple yes or no questions. I am sure you can answer them.

ReputationRep:
    "your own demise"

Jesus Christ.

Young man, you are going in circles. Everything you have asked is answered above. Whichever way you want to spin it, it will come back to the same points.

ReputationRep:
    "your own demise"

Jesus Christ.

Young man, you are going in circles. Everything you have asked is answered above. Whichever way you want to spin it, it will come back to the same points.
    Quote me where you answered the question "is a veto meant to be permanent" with either a yes or a no.

Or is that really too hard for you to answer?

SemiteLog Sameerio Trumpo Trumpu Davij038 ByEeek Alfissti Michael3C The gains kinggg M14B Settle aeroline1999

I'me German.

Political correctness was what got many, many good, wonderful members on this forum banned for merely questioning the policy decisions linked to immigration/migration such as the one made by my Chancellor to allow all these migrants into my country
    • without checking if they are holding genuine passports
    • without checking if they have links to terrorist groups
    • without checking if they have criminal records in their home countries
    • without checking if they have HIV/AIDS
    Someone recently asked me why should people wanting to enter into another country, be checked for HIV/AIDS? This is because the government owes a duty to its citizens to protect them from people who may want to infect others with their communicable diseases. This is an extension of a 'social contract theory'. Read up on it if you have time. Educate yourself.

You may have read or heard, many of these migrants have turned my country upside down.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-35231046
    http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/...ks-list-crimes
    http://www.news.com.au/finance/econo...d65045e65e141d
    http://www.breitbart.com/london/2016...-sex-assaults/

You only have to see what the German police commissioner said on national TV to understand the true extent of the migrant crisis. Mind you, the higher command in Germany gave him a piece of their mind following the telecast of this interview. Watch it to believe it.

I hope all of you reading my post, bears this in mind. A country's sovereignty, security and safety of its citizens is so so important. With Merkel's blunder, we have become a carbon copy of UK & the rest of EU and their set of problems.

Merkel has been in hiding for many months now. She's pushing 62 years of age. She won't throw in the towel just yet. If UK decides to remain in the EU, I am certain they will make EU into a united states of Europe and she would be the major contender for the post of PM of the USE. Tony Blair has quietened down way too much to be able to stake a claim for that coveted position.

Merkel studied physics and then chemistry. She has no knowledge and understanding about politics, law, finance and sociology. She tells the German public one thing and tells the EU another thing and then tells the world another thing. Sometime back she said that refugees must now return back to their countries of origin after the wars back home have ended.
    http://www.reuters.com/article/us-eu...-idUSKCN0V80IH

With Turkey's inclusion into the EU imminent, there will be 77 million Turks who will get to make their debut appearance in any of the EU member states. They will not go to France because France has zero tolerance towards Muslims. They will continue to come to Germany or go to the UK where the borders agency officers have zero powers to turn people away.

Fun times ahead.

ReputationRep:
    Quote me where you answered the question "is a veto meant to be permanent" with either a yes or a no.

Or is that really too hard for you to answer?
    Again, look above for more in depth answers than a simplistic, yes or no that you crave.

ReputationRep:
    Would you like to exercise any other prejudices whilst you are at it?

Just out of curiosity though - if a million people turned up on your doorstep suddenly, without any prior notice, exactly what would you do? Bearing in mind of course that the countries they came from might not be overly excited to see them return.

ReputationRep:
    Again, look above for more in depth answers than a simplistic, yes or no that you crave.
    I do not crave anything.

We both just know that the truthful answer to that is no, and a no means your argument is wrong.

Instead you hide behind diversion and subterfuge, misinformation and fear mongering.

You pretend you have facts but when it comes down to it you got nothing.

A real man would have admitted by now he was in the wrong. So I am done arguing with a child.

ReputationRep:
    Good Lord this is something else.

ReputationRep:
    Good Lord this is something else.
    Does it make you mad to lose an argument to someone who is smarter than you?

ReputationRep:
    If anything, it makes me sad that you can't see what has happened over the last few pages.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.