Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jak123)
    The way i explained it is that the dream is a cyclical cycle, as Steinbeck introduces us to the dream in chapter one, and ends it metaphorically through the mercy killing of Lennie towards the end of the novella. Steinbeck therefore uses Lennie as a symbol of the rise of hope given by the dream, and the imminent vulgar end to the dream and basically shows the harsh reality of the society that no-one truly ever achieves their dream.
    Yeah the things i wrote about were the treatment of the mentally ill, how you're inly valued for your physical ability and something his character showing the use of vigilante justice- I included stuff about the ranch being a microcosm and george being the "everyman"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minaok)
    poetry was not good
    agreed, man
    (Original post by Naomi265)
    In Cardigan Market was about prostitution and the car showroom was apparently about homosexuality (which i don't see at all)
    How in God's name was the poem anything to do with prostitution

the homosexuality thing sounds like rubbish

ReputationRep:
    The way she drips female sweat and friendship shows the fact she is one - a hard worker- and two - she literally sweats compassion and love for others whilst taking part in her job.
    The fact men comes for miles to buy her princely trout does not mean they come to purchase sex, do you really think the exam board would've thought we would be able to interpret trouts as sexual parts?
    And 'she squats here' does not mean she will be squatting for sex, she is at a market for god sake.
    The exam board will not give us a poem talking about sexual positions and the way people have sex, as well as her trout being a metaphor for her vagina hahaha
    exactly! :yy: makes me laugh what some people write hahaha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZiggyStarDust_)
    agreed, man

How in God's name was the poem anything to do with prostitution

the homosexuality thing sounds like rubbish
    It was not about prostitution or homosexuality haha do not know what some people were writing about to be honest!

ReputationRep:
    The way she drips female sweat and friendship shows the fact she is one - a hard worker- and two - she literally sweats compassion and love for others whilst taking part in her job.
    The fact men comes for miles to buy her princely trout does not mean they come to purchase sex, do you really think the exam board would've thought we would be able to interpret trouts as sexual parts?
    And 'she squats here' does not mean she will be squatting for sex, she is at a market for god sake.
    The exam board will not give us a poem talking about sexual positions and the way people have sex, as well as her trout being a metaphor for her vagina hahaha
    I'm not saying it was, I'm just saying that I wrote about it in the exam as an interpretation (as well as other interpretations beforehand). Ngl I didn't go into much detail and just mentioned it.

ReputationRep:
    LMFAO

I kek'd @ this XD

ReputationRep:
    I'm not saying it was, I'm just saying that I wrote about it in the exam as an interpretation (as well as other interpretations beforehand). Ngl I didn't go into much detail and just mentioned it.
    And frankly whether it is about prostitution or not, it's something people can argue. The great thing about english is that no interpretation is wrong. If that's how some people read the poem, then that's how they read the poem. I'm not going to come at you saying what you wrote is wrong if that's your interpretation haha

ReputationRep:
    And frankly whether it is about prostitution or not, it's something people can argue. The great thing about english is that no interpretation is wrong. If that's how some people read the poem, then that's how they read the poem. I'm not going to come at you saying what you wrote is wrong if that's your interpretation haha
    Yeah but saying her trout is representing her fanny isn't really a correct interpretation but each to their own

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but saying her trout is representing her fanny isn't really a correct interpretation but each to their own
    I'm glad to say I didn't quite go that far in the exam haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellieffion)
    I did not write anything like that, I wrote that the woman was horrible on the outside and she stood out as her skin had a "gleam" but overall she was well liked as she was described as "Auntie" and she had a nice inside. The man, on the other hand, was "well groomed" but he just spouted words that were put in his mouth so he acted like a robot. He did not stand out, he tries to hide his feelings and therefore he is like a robot. Apparently, I spoke to my teacher, I wrote the right things which I am happy about.
    Ah, right. That wasn't the only thing I wrote about at least, I also talked about how fishy seems to be a good worker and Greg is polite but a crappy worker pretty much.😂

ReputationRep:
    In Cardigan Market was about prostitution and the car showroom was apparently about homosexuality (which i don't see at all)
    :toofunny:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Really?

Spoiler:
    Show
    :getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruadb0y)
    Ah, right. That wasn't the only thing I wrote about at least, I also talked about how fishy seems to be a good worker and Greg is polite but a crappy worker pretty much.😂
    haha I am sure you will be okay

ReputationRep:
    That sounds like a very creative point but it does seem like quite a sexist remark, just because the poets are both male does not mean they will show more empathy towards Greg. Furthermore, it's not about how the poet feels towards the poem it's about the way the poem makes you feel. However, i'm only a student just as you so may opinion may well just be wrong.

Also, to anyone wondering, those poems were definitely nothing to do with prostitution or homosexuality, just some people making jokes about last years papers
    Haha. I guess it could be viewed as being sexist. Perhaps they'll accept that cause prostition could represent sexism and that seems to be all they want us to write about Also Curley's wife could be seen as similar to Fishy Jane as Curley's wife represents sexism at this time during the Great Depre...wait wtf am I talking about? I've gone mad with all of this meaningless English Shiterature. Thanks WJEC...

ReputationRep:
    See everyone is saying they were hard before coming out with the good points. Then there's me who decided to makes sime total bs about they represent the unsympathetic workers who display greed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellieffion)
    Don't worry, the poems were not about prostitution or homosexuality, I asked the english department in my school!
    I guess this is why you shouldn't go on twitter after an exam

ReputationRep:
    Yeah well I wrote about the first one being a sonnet which I'm pretty sure it isn't! Just a poem that happened to have 14 lines

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 6Soph)
    Yeah well I wrote about the first one being a sonnet which I'm pretty sure it isn't! Just a poem that happened to have 14 lines
    Sammmeeeee at least I'm not the only one. I haven't told anyone I said it was a sonnet yet because I think it's completely wrong (or possibly a mixture of the shakspearean and the other sonnet styles but I didn't write about this - bit annoyed about because it would have helped my answer) oh well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LivMalseed)
    I did A and B, I had no clue what to write about the fear and you know so I did character question. I did 2 half a page paragraph about Lennie and how they called him a 'crazy *******' which show how they treated disabled people back then. And 3 paragraphs for question A about George. So in total I did about 3 pages..
    i could not think of ANYTHING to write for part A, i wrote like 3 PEE paragraphs and then went back to it after id done part B and the poetry section, even though i was not that confident on the poetry i still managed somehow to write 4 sides of utter bs, and 4 sides for the extract

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody know how many marks roughly i'd need to get in english literature wjec for foundation?

ReputationRep:
    In the extract of Oman I wrote 12 pea's so I covered myself and hopefully I'll get 10 marks on that.

I did part C and wrote about Lennie and George. Crooks, curleys wife and candy with his relationship with his dog. That was around 4 pages.

And poetry I did write about the youthinism of men wanted her fish and with the showroom, a man was fired from his job for a better looking, younger man and he was jelous. I can see why it was about homosexuality and prostitution though. Hopefully I've done okay but ah well.

Let's hope for grade boundaries lower than the chance that Lennie will actually care for his rabbits!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.