Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who's the best Manager next season ?? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diego Costa)
    Guardiola's style has never failed him, but because you think it would he's behind Benitez...? I would also add that Stoke for instance who were a low mid table PL side only became a top half side when they started playing possession based football, which is the style he made big, so to say it would fail in most teams is pretty untrue. If I were to make tiers:

One: Simeone, Guardiola, Mourinho, Ancelotti, Enrique (just)
    Two: Conte, Allegri, Klopp, Wenger, Emery, Ranieri (just because of his league win)
    Three: Poch, Blanc, Koeman
    You think Allegri shouldn't be in tier 1?

I personally think Allegri is better than Conte, I'm a massive fan of both coaches but in europe Allegri is a very accomplished coach and more tactically versatile.

I'd also put Klopp in tier 1 for the same reasons as Simeone, the domestic double in 2012 and reaching CL final in 2013 is more than enough reason to put him there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    I see it less in terms of positions and more in terms of points. Let's see how their points progressed since 2013-14:

ARS 79 75 71
    TOT 69 64 70
    SOU 56 60 63
    WHU 40 47 62

So unless Arsenal are ambitious in the transfer window and improve on all their target positions (not just one), there's a very high chance they'll finish with less points in May 2017. Where that appears on the table depends on other teams. That's why final league placing is deceptive and of no indication of a successful season compared to other seasons. Arsenal finishing second with the number of points that could easily have them finish fifth? Is that a success or not?
    I'd say the statistics you're using are a little skewed and maybe you're reading too much into them.

Because Tottenham finished six points higher than in 14/15 it doesn't mean that they'll definite boost their tally. When all there players were in form and playing great football at the end of the season, it would suggest that it's them that need to splash out on new players.

In contrast Arsenal, who's top players were below par for large parts of the season e.g. Sanchez, Giroud and Ozil were still able to finish above them.

Southampton are a feeder club, the owners won't back them financially to challenge for top four. Koeman finishing his second season with three points more than his first isn't evidence enough that they can finish with 70+ points.

West Ham could maybe finish above Arsenal, but just because Bilic outperformed a basic manager like Allardyce in his first season, I don't think it's reason enough to say that they'll DEFINITELY keep improving and get in the top four ahead of Arsenal.

That said, Arsenal have spent ~ £35m on Xhaka and I think are strongly pursuing Aubameyang. If they do get Aubameyang, or a similarly good striker like Higuain/Benzema who they've also been linked with, there's not a lot of reason why they can't challenge for the league, let alone just get 4th.

(Original post by bammy jastard 27)
    You think Allegri shouldn't be in tier 1?

I personally think Allegri is better than Conte, I'm a massive fan of both coaches but in europe Allegri is a very accomplished coach and more tactically versatile.

I'd also put Klopp in tier 1 for the same reasons as Simeone, the domestic double in 2012 and reaching CL final in 2013 is more than enough reason to put him there.
    I agree that Allegri is better than Conte and the best in tier 2 of the names listed (I didn't rank the names in each tier in order). Allegri's case is however only based on the last two seasons, his run at Milan wasn't that great and though his work at Cagliari was very good, it was on too small of a scale to have him as a top manager. That said, however he could make a very good case for being the best tactician in the world and he would be in Tier 1 if he won the CL last year.

I'm in a similar boat as Klopp. I feel his lack of CL hurts isn't kind to him. To a certain extent, I could overlook that with Simeone as he got to the final twice, beating the two strongest teams in the competition.

They are both youngish and could very easily crack tier 1 in time.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.