Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Well maybe if you, your mum or your female relatives were systematically raped for years, then you might feel you wanted a bit more than an apology.
    Perhaps but I don't think cheapening the issue with blood money is the right way to go about it.

ReputationRep:
    Well maybe if you, your mum or your female relatives were systematically raped for years, then you might feel you wanted a bit more than an apology.
    Men are also raped... a lot.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Jebedee)
    Perhaps but I don't think cheapening the issue with blood money is the right way to go about it.
    Well tell that to the women fighting so they can buy food, pay for medical bills etc. Practical help that makes a difference is far more valuable than mere words.

Think about whose blood it was. Its their lives that were destroyed.

If someone injured you, then youd's be happy with a sorry?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by ivybridge)
    Men are also raped... a lot.
    I dont believe during the war they enslaved lots of men as sex slaves? You know otherwise? The difference in japans situation is it was systematic, organised and sanctioned by the government.

Not sure what your point is? I never said they werent.

ReputationRep:
    Well tell that to the women fighting so they can buy food, pay for medical bills etc. Practical help that makes a difference is far more valuable than mere words.

Think about whose blood it was. Its their lives that were destroyed.

If someone injured you, then youd's be happy with a sorry?
    Is that their financial position? 70 years after the fact?

ReputationRep:
    I dont believe during the war they enslaved lots of men as sex slaves? You know otherwise? The difference in japans situation is it was systematic, organised and sanctioned by the government.

Not sure what your point is? I never said they werent.
    No but you didn't specify that in your post. I didn't read any of your posts before so maybe I missed something. Still, simply just saying men are also raped so it isn't all just about "oh, if your sister" your brother or your father, uncle, whatever, could be raped.

That's all I meant and, fair enough.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by ivybridge)
    No but you didn't specify that in your post. I didn't read any of your posts before so maybe I missed something. Still, simply just saying men are also raped so it isn't all just about "oh, if your sister" your brother or your father, uncle, whatever, could be raped.

That's all I meant and, fair enough.
    It was an ongoing conversation, so it would make more sense if you read the thread.

Anyway the whole point was it seems a bit rich to be alarmist over two rapes as distasteful as they may be, when Japan has been responsible for sanctioning tens of millions of rapes.

ReputationRep:
    It was an ongoing conversation, so it would make more sense if you read the thread.

Anyway the whole point was it seems a bit rich to be alarmist over two rapes as distasteful as they may be, when Japan has been responsible for sanctioning tens of millions of rapes.
    Can you name a single person who was in the government at the time who is still in now? The Christian notion of original sin doesn't apply.

ReputationRep:
    Can you name a single person who was in the government at the time who is still in now? The Christian notion of original sin doesn't apply.
    Some of them are the children and grandchildren of the government during Japanese aggression. Their views have been passed on.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Doesnt matter because its a case of govermental responsibility so the case is against the Japanese state. You do realise in law governments can be held accountable?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Konahagakure)
    Some of them are the children and grandchildren of the government during Japanese aggression. Their views have been passed on.
    Okay. So now we're in the twilight zone of inter-generational reparations. I guess this means I can claim reparations from the English from the beating of "not" Welsh school kids when they were forced to speak English in the 19th century. Which went on to result in the near death of the Welsh language which then meant that I was not bilingual from birth.

Or perhaps I'll make a visit to collect what I'm owed from the Tripolitean states for what the Barbery pirates did in the 16th century.

Where does it end?

Doesnt matter because its a case of govermental responsibility so the case is against the Japanese state. You do realise in law governments can be held accountable?
    Yes but that doesn't mean that the grandchildren of the victims should be able to sell out the woes of their grandparents for a couple of coffers.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Okay. So now we're in the twilight zone of inter-generational reparations. I guess this means I can claim reparations from the English from the beating of "not" Welsh school kids when they were forced to speak English in the 19th century. Which went on to result in the near death of the Welsh language which as a result meant that I was not bilingual from birth.

Or perhaps I'll make a visit to collection what I'm owed from the Tripolitean states for what the Barbery pirates did in the 16th century.

Yes but that doesn't mean that the grandchildren of the victims should be able to sell out the woes of their grandparents for a couple of coffers.
    You again are showing your lack of knowledge. there are ex comfort women who are still allive and seeking justice. It is not grandchildren. As I said if you were in that situation then i dont believe that you would be happy with an apology if your mum and siblings had been systematically raped.

ReputationRep:
    You again are showing your lack of knowledge. there are ex comfort women who are still allive and seeking justice. It is not grandchildren. As I said if you were in that situation then i dont believe that you would be happy with an apology if your mum and siblings had been systematically raped.
    I wasn't the one who originally mentioned grandchildren.

ReputationRep:
    No one is saying they haven't done awful things, or that any people on the planet haven't.

Surely you hold similar or stronger contempt for those who are still to this present day committing disgusting crimes?
    I think the point is a fair one given the tone of this thread, which is what cultures are like in certain parts of the world. Japan was sick, he's not condoning it just saying that no culture or people are really exempt from terrible aspects of history that co-exist with good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tcannon)
    Japanese soldiers did their fair share of rape in the WW2. Korean, Filipino and Chinese women suffered. Yet Japan still denied responsibility and refused apology to 'comfort women'. Japanese school books glance over WW2 atrocities.
    You should update your software:

(1) The issue of comfort women, with an involvement of the Japanese military authorities at that time, was a grave affront to the honor and dignity of large numbers of women, and the Government of Japan is painfully aware of responsibilities from this perspective.

As Prime Minister of Japan, Prime Minister Abe expresses anew his most sincere apologies and remorse to all the women who underwent immeasurable and painful experiences and suffered incurable physical and psychological wounds as comfort women.

(2) The Government of Japan has been sincerely dealing with this issue. Building on such experience, the Government of Japan will now take measures to heal psychological wounds of all former comfort women through its budget. To be more specific, it has been decided that the Government of the ROK establish a foundation for the purpose of providing support for the former comfort women, that its funds be contributed by the Government of Japan as a one-time contribution through its budget, and that projects for recovering the honor and dignity and healing the psychological wounds of all former comfort women be carried out under the cooperation between the Government of Japan and the Government of the ROK.

(3) While stating the above, the Government of Japan confirms that this issue is resolved finally and irreversibly with this announcement, on the premise that the Government will steadily implement the measures specified in (2) above.

http://blogs.wsj.com/japanrealtime/2...comfort-women/

Yes obviously. Also I think Japan needs to accept more migrants but not those who are uneducated and have no skills. Their aging and declining population will soon become a serious issue. They also have a debt that is approximately twice(?) the size of their economy. Without a large enough workforce how do they ever imagine to pay that off and grow their economy.
    Their debt is owned by Japanese nationals. It's not the same as other countries, whose debt is detained by foreign investors.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JollyCynic)
    So you've taken a sample group of 27 people, and from that are hoping to extrapolate a meaningful conclusion to apply to over a million dis-similar people, according to your own premise.

Well, at least you've recoginised your inability to do maths and asked the rest of us to pick up the slack.
    You're missing the point entirely. 2 in only 27 migrants have committed rape. That's about 1 in 15. Now apply that fraction to the millions that Germany and Sweden took in. In 5 million migrants there are around 333000 rapists. Sounds unrealistic doesn't it?

In Sweden alone 1 in every 4 women has been raped by a migrant. That number I just calculated is clearly much more accurate than the lefties want to believe.

ReputationRep:
    Lol don't the Japanese remember what they did to Korea and China?
    Oh right so let's just go round raping people to make things even!? Who even upvoted you bro?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peroxidation)
    You're missing the point entirely. 2 in only 27 migrants have committed rape. That's about 1 in 15. Now apply that fraction to the millions that Germany and Sweden took in. In 5 million migrants there are around 333000 rapists. Sounds unrealistic doesn't it?

In Sweden alone 1 in every 4 women has been raped by a migrant. That number I just calculated is clearly much more accurate than the lefties want to believe.
    That's a strange statistic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0to100)
    Oh right so let's just go round raping people to make things even!? Who even upvoted you bro?
    I wasn't referring to the rape I was referring to the issue of immigration and the Japanese invasion of those countries.

ReputationRep:
    Poor Japan. Not gonna make them any less xenophobic than they already are, I hear it's real bad for foreigners anyway, even East Asian ones. But then again it's...their country so...their rules and culture being preserved I guess. Which is totally fine, it's not like people are banned this is just...not helping matters.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.