Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

OCR Physics A Exam - G482 Electrons, Waves, Photons [09/06/16] Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reda2)
    I did V = E - Ir
    so V = I (-r) + E

Plotted the graph V against I, gradient equal to -r.
    i just stated all of that rather than actually drawing a graph to illustrate that, thats calm right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Artmanlikesart)
    That's what I did too, what did you put for the reason for the second resistor?
    I didn't know the answer to that one so just wrote something random. I said so there is always a resistance with the internal resistance when the variable resistor is 0.. wrong most probably but might get me 1 mark. What did you say?

And for the difference between something about waves, if you remember what question, what did you write?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hasib98)
    i just stated all of that rather than actually drawing a graph to illustrate that, thats calm right?
    calm?

They did give you empty space so I think they were expecting you to draw the graph. Maybe you will lose 1 mark for that.

ReputationRep:
    I'll post one tomorrow - I wont be able to get hold of a copy of the paper until then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reda2)
    I didn't know the answer to that one so just wrote something random. I said so there is always a resistance with the internal resistance when the variable resistor is 0.. wrong most probably but might get me 1 mark. What did you say?

And for the difference between something about waves, if you remember what question, what did you write?
    I said that if the variable resistor was at 0 ohms then huge current could damage the components or blow the circuit entirely.
    Difference of waves? What do you mean?

ReputationRep:
    sorry to be that guy, but i thought it was a really simple paper even though it was a bit non standard

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reda2)
    calm?

They did give you empty space so I think they were expecting you to draw the graph. Maybe you will lose 1 mark for that.
    Buuut it didnt say draw a graph stupid questions

ReputationRep:
    I said that if the variable resistor was at 0 ohms then huge current could damage the components or blow the circuit entirely.
    Difference of waves? What do you mean?
    I can see your answer in the marks scheme. I don't remember but in one of the waves question there was a comparison question or advantage vs disadvantage question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reda2)
    I can see your answer in the marks scheme. I don't remember but in one of the waves question there was a comparison question or advantage vs disadvantage question.
    Where's the markscheme?
    Do you mean the difference in powers of ten between waves?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tyler'sD)
    sorry to be that guy, but i thought it was a really simple paper even though it was a bit non standard
    I agree, but that stationary waves question was no where near simple. That is the question that got me. The rest was all do-able. Calculations were really easy, some of the explanations as well. But overall not bad. Definitively above 120 UMS for me.

ReputationRep:
    Where's the markscheme?
    Do you mean the difference in powers of ten between waves?
    hehe, no I meant your answer is something that I can imagine in the mark scheme, because it makes sense.

Just forget about it mate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reda2)
    I agree, but that stationary waves question was no where near simple. That is the question that got me. The rest was all do-able. Calculations were really easy, some of the explanations as well. But overall not bad. Definitively above 120 UMS for me.
    What about it was unusual for you?

ReputationRep:
    That's what I did too, what did you put for the reason for the second resistor?
    I said it was for safety reasons because if the variable resistor had a resistance of 0 and there was no fixed resistor, the current would be way too high (infinite?) and it would overheat.

Was a bit of a guess to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was fairly easy as well, especially compared to last years paper

ReputationRep:
    What about it was unusual for you?
    The stationary wave question, the tube stuff and all the drawing we had to do, and the 2-3 marker written part in the question. Really only that question, not seen like it in past papers. I lost 4 marks in the show velocity question where you had to use eV = 1/2 mv^2. What about you?

ReputationRep:
    You are a dirty swamp goblin

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reda2)
    The stationary wave question, the tube stuff and all the drawing we had to do, and the 2-3 marker written part in the question. Really only that question, not seen like it in past papers. I lost 4 marks in the show velocity question where you had to use eV = 1/2 mv^2. What about you?
    Good paper for me, the ones im not sure if i got was the why the 3ohm resistor and i dont know if i proved it was 30mA correctly in the LED, i worked out the LED resistance then worked out the voltage in the resistor then worked out the current, it that what everyone else did??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NickLCFC)
    I said it was for safety reasons because if the variable resistor had a resistance of 0 and there was no fixed resistor, the current would be way too high (infinite?) and it would overheat.

Was a bit of a guess to be honest.
    With zero resistance in the circuit (except the internal reistance) it's the same as a short circuit, which needs to be prevented of course

ReputationRep:
    and yeah last years paper was so dumb

ReputationRep:
    At least overall it was an improvement from last years paper.
    Two things I struggled with the most were the last two questions of the battery charging and internal resistance question, then the second half of the standing wave questions

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.