The Student Room Group

How did you find the aqa geography A exam today?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Caoimhe345
For MEDC desert i did Mojave in the USA and for LEDC i did Thar desert in Pakistan

I put Australian Outback for MEDC and Sahara for LEDC as that's what we did in class, I put how the increase in popularity of people living in hot desert areas, the australia outback could build a major city to take advantage of that, but because the sahara council probably can't afford to do that they would go off of ecotourism with minimal carbon footprint so it helps them to save even more. e.g. ecolodge for the desert experience.

I did put a bit more detail than that but imo thought i did awful on that one
Original post by Gcsestudent617
There wasn't a figure with a large wave in restless earth. I think you've got mixed up

the question was for the coastal zone. there was an image of a wave and it asked to describe the type of wave that it was.

I put destructive because it was high but also doubted that it may be constructive because it had a strong swash.
Original post by munchjin
the question was for the coastal zone. there was an image of a wave and it asked to describe the type of wave that it was.

I put destructive because it was high but also doubted that it may be constructive because it had a strong swash.

Ohhh you had me panicking then I thought I had missed a question with restless earth since you said destructive haha sorry
I'm so stressed!! In the restless earth 8 marker did you HAVE to talk about the Andes because I spoke about the Alps?

I talked about the alphs, it completely fine you could of chosen any case study you wanted.
Hey guys, the Restless Earth 8 marker was specifically about how people have adapted to the environment of a Fold Mountain, hence the photos of the alpacas. The question wasn't about land use, so I'm not sure how many marks you'd get for mentioning Tourism/HEP/Mining etc.
It is rather annoying though, as the CGP Guide only has a tiny section about using alpacas in the fold mountains and one other adaption.
Reply 45
I'm so stressed!! In the restless earth 8 marker did you HAVE to talk about the Andes because I spoke about the Alps?

The question said 'Using a case study' but the case study itself is not specified so I think talking about the Alps is fine :smile:

(I used the alps too)
For the Andes I talked about

Terraces to keep irrigation and nutrients in the soil for farming
Llamas used to carry 20% of their body weight in the harsh environments
Textiles being manufactured using the coats from the llamas to make clothes to adapt to the cold wet environments in the mountains
Paths built into the mountains for the Inca Trail
Original post by mossy950
Hey guys, the Restless Earth 8 marker was specifically about how people have adapted to the environment of a Fold Mountain, hence the photos of the alpacas. The question wasn't about land use, so I'm not sure how many marks you'd get for mentioning Tourism/HEP/Mining etc.
It is rather annoying though, as the CGP Guide only has a tiny section about using alpacas in the fold mountains and one other adaption.

No.... not the alpacas.... I wrote camels.... :afraid:
they call me the pussyslayer9000
ur mum will be 9001
Original post by Cool_pizza
For the Andes I talked about

Terraces to keep irrigation and nutrients in the soil for farming
Llamas used to carry 20% of their body weight in the harsh environments
Textiles being manufactured using the coats from the llamas to make clothes to adapt to the cold wet environments in the mountains
Paths built into the mountains for the Inca Trail

I put how they have wide paths
I put how they have tourist info centres
I put how they use guides for tourists
I put how they can use the massive amount of rain for an advantage - hydro power.
I put how they use donkeys/mules to carry heavy objects through rough terrain.
I put how they grazed their animals.

I think that's it, is it enough for 5+ marks????:s-smilie:
I'm really scared now because a comment on another thread started to say how you were supposed to name all of the uses of fold mountains, but that's not what the question asked! - Did it?
Reply 51
Question asked about how people adapted, not how fold mountains are used.
You can however draw links between the two
Because the Andes question specifically asked about how people adapt to the climate I spoke about

Alpacas/llamas carrying 20% of their body weight to carry resources through the tough terrain
I spoke about how people in the Andes use fur from llamas to make textiles used for clothing and in homes to keep them warm and dry.
I also spoke about terraces being built to keep irrigation and nutrients in the soil to increase crop yields etc
Original post by B3ASTy
Same, what did you put for the social and political consequences?

Maldives gov. had to ask Japan for a $6 million sea wall to protect the capital, they also bought land in India and Australia to move people there.
Original post by alidas147
I put constructive cause it was surging inland but i guess it wall a high wave so probably destructive

I put constructive I'm pretty sure because there was a lot of sediment on the walkway. If the water level was high because of high tide and stuff then a constructive wave could easily break and shoot up high i think
For the rising sea levels 8 marker I accidentally used the holderness coastline case studies taking about rising sea level ahaha, will I still get any marks? Is there spag marks available?
Original post by Asdfqwertygeo
For the rising sea levels 8 marker I accidentally used the holderness coastline case studies taking about rising sea level ahaha, will I still get any marks? Is there spag marks available?

Spag is only on Human paper but you might get marks if some points are relevant
Original post by student46803
I did Water on the land, and for my 8 marker I accidentally put Bam, Iran instead of Bangladesh for the case study! :frown: I think I got all the points right though but does anyone know if this will limit the marks because I'm hoping for an A*.

The examiner will put you mark into UMS. If your coursework is at a high mark (ideally 42+) then you should be on for atleast an A. On average you need about 59% for an A* looking at the past grade boundaries but last year this was a bit higher meaning it could change this year?
Original post by mossy950

Yeah, I realised that I made that mistake too.
They're levelled answers, so we should get 4-ish marks maybe, as some of the things interlink.
Original post by Cool_pizza
Spag is only on Human paper but you might get marks if some points are relevant

Ah right cheers. Talked about property value decreasing and how re making roads could be an issue in the future amongst other stuff. After coming out the exam realized holderness was more about erosion processes such as longshore drift rather than rising sea levels, although not too sure?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending