Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

WJEC BIOLOGY BY1 2016 (NEW AS) Thread

ReputationRep:
    It was a horrendous paper. I almost cried during the exam lmao. For somebody who get's mostly A's in past papers this was an utter joke. I might go drown myself with the peeing carp and the flounder...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xColourReign)
    There was a question on properties of water and biological significance? Did you have the same one?
    Nope, water didn't come up..
    That's kinda confusing now 😶

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by owen.williams)
    Anyone able to try and weigh in on expected grade boundaries?
    50 something for an A?? No idea

ReputationRep:
    i did the resit (old spec) a few questions were
    1) a selection of things that we had to state which ones were elements, tissue, ions ect
    2) use of triglyceride
    3) distinguish between cell organelles
    4) water and its properties
    5) blood and centrifuging
    6) graphs and what type of transport they are
    7) banana puree and the effect of PH, Temp and a vacuum on enzymes and substrates
    8) essays - Mitosis or immobilized enzymes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AndrewKn0x)
    It was a horrendous paper. I almost cried during the exam lmao. For somebody who get's mostly A's in past papers this was an utter joke. I might go drown myself with the peeing carp and the flounder...
    I couldn't have put my situation any better than you just did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squashy_josh)
    1) a selection of things that we had to state which ones were elements, tissue, ions ect
    2) use of triglyceride
    7) banana puree and the effect of PH, Temp and a vacuum on enzymes and substrates
    THATS SO BULL!
    How come your questions were so easy and actually relevant to the subject specification but the NEW AS was so q/jhmadfkhfa

ReputationRep:
    Judging by how it's trending on twitter, lets home someone makes a huge protest about Biochemistry/Cells being Marine Biology..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by valbrechts)
    THATS SO BULL!
    How come your questions were so easy and actually relevant to the subject specification but the NEW AS was so q/jhmadfkhfa
    Tbf some questions were worded really weird but it wasnt that bad, do you think UMS will be decided by both papers or will both by1 papers or?

ReputationRep:
    Tbf some questions were worded really weird but it wasnt that bad, do you think UMS will be decided by both papers or will both by1 papers or?
    I completely agree that the some questions were worded weirdly. I sat it today and it was alright but some questions I know I lost marks on because they weren't like what I'd been revising. Is there a thread for the resit exam??

ReputationRep:
    Guys, were both of the inhibitors competitive on the last question, or was one non-competitive and the other was competitive?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RasputinReborn)
    Guys, were both of the inhibitors competitive on the last question, or was one non-competitive and the other was competitive?
    I put Phosphate as competitive, and the other one as non competitive.

ReputationRep:
    The phosphate was competetive becausw it had a smiliar shape to the substrate and the poly thing wasnon competetive because it binded to the allosteric site
    (Original post by RasputinReborn)
    Guyswere both of the inhibitors competitive on the last question, or was one non-competitive and the other was competitive?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manal99)
    The phosphate was competetive becausw it had a smiliar shape to the substrate and the poly thing wasnon competetive because it binded to the allosteric site
    Competitive*

ReputationRep:
    Looking around at the text book and specification, for the virus question, there is nothing on knowing the process that they showed us!! We just had to know the structure of a virus....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cezza B)
    Looking around at the text book and specification, for the virus question, there is nothing on knowing the process that they showed us!! We just had to know the structure of a virus....
    Tbf, the 2 virus questions were just transcription and translation, which we're suppose to know anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hamzakalinle)
    Didyou guys do a resit or something because my Biology wjec paper didnt have any question of fish. My essay question was on cell division. Did you guys have this too?
    I did the old spec also, i thought that was a really nice paper, what did you think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by valbrechts)
    Tbf, the 2 virus questions were just transcription and translation, which we're suppose to know anyway
    It asked us to name the process as well, does anyone know what it was called?

ReputationRep:
    2) use of triglyceride
    Yep that was the same paper i sat, how did you find it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cezza B)
    It asked us to name the process as well, does anyone know what it was called?
    I missed that part out by accident but id imagine theyd be called the same things, transcription and translation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aledrhys)
    Yep that was the same paper i sat, how did you find it?
    Okey but im not confident on the blood question and i forgot all about water properties so that sucks

Did you put leaf down as the tissue? and what order did you put the graphs in?

Poll
How are you feeling about your exams so far?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.