Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loveire&song)
    If you're not taking A level maths, don't give any advice?
    This guy seems so full of BS atm. A polyglot with extensive knowledge of calculus isn't going to do maths a level

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeenPolyglot)
    Alright, alright, calm down. It was just a post to show how beautiful maths becomes when you go more and more advanced with it.
    "go more and more advanced with it"
    *hasn't even taken gcse*

Alright, alright, calm down. It was just a post to show how beautiful maths becomes when you go more and more advanced with it.
    Well really they won't see much beauty in a formula that's meaningless to them, that's all, I remember feeling discouraged when seeing further maths past papers at GCSE and decided not to take it for AS. Then regretted the decision and had to self teach, so I'm just trying to help the guy make the right choice for him. Don't take offence or anything

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arsey2.0)
    This guy seems so full of BS atm. A polyglot with extensive knowledge of calculus isn't going to do maths a level
    I would give you rep, but I already have too recently have a written upvote instead

ReputationRep:
    I like maths, I just don't want to do it as a qualification, nor as something advanced in further life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihatePE)
    yeah anyone can improve but for me in two years? not even two years, minus exam times...along with other a levels, that's not possible for me. i should have made it clearer that it was just a figure of speech. im not planning a maths/science career path so there's no point me taking it anyways and if i do, it'll probably take more than two years for me to ''click''
    I think you're overestimating maths a level because people who take it want to make it sound hard to others but seriously, if you can get an A in maths GCSE then the problems you solve will only be relative, there is no big step up and it's the same with the other subjects apart from biology I've heard

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rxns_00)
    Well really they won't see much beauty in a formula that's meaningless to them, that's all, I remember feeling discouraged when seeing further maths past papers at GCSE and decided not to take it for AS. Then regretted the decision and had to self teach, so I'm just trying to help the guy make the right choice for him. Don't take offence or anything
    OK, thanks
    I was just trying to show that when you take more advanced mathematics, as opposed to basic histograms and trigonometry, everything becomes more complex. And, in essence, if the complexities behind it are something which you think "well, what does that mean" or "why is that squared", and you want to find out more, then by all means, I suggest that the person should consider taking it, even if they don't.

Hope ya get what I'm saying

ReputationRep:
    I like maths, I just don't want to do it as a qualification, nor as something advanced in further life.
    You don't understand that formulae you posted and no one does at A level. It's obviously going to look confusing and scary or off-putting to Rajive.

ReputationRep:
    "go more and more advanced with it"
    *hasn't even taken gcse*
    Fair point.

Just try'na help in any way I can

ReputationRep:
    Basically, do these look intriguing to you, and do you want to find out more about these, at the same time gaining a qualification [serious question]?:

If the answer is yes, then certainly think about it.
    If you're intimidated fully by these and they make you immediately say "nope", then don't think about A Level Maths.
    That's meaningless without explanation. Just a bunch of symbols on the page. The true beauty is in the ideas behind maths.

ReputationRep:
    It did make me jump ngl

ReputationRep:
    If you're not taking A level maths, don't give any advice?
    When I say "not taking it", I mean to say "it's not something I've said I definitely want to do", but I am considering it.

I'm aware I didn't make that clear

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morgan8002)
    That's meaningless without explanation. Just a bunch of symbols on the page. The true beauty is in the ideas behind maths.
    Very true.

But the interest in the explanation is what leads you to the ideas at the end of the day.

ReputationRep:
    OK, thanks
    I was just trying to show that when you take more advanced mathematics, as opposed to basic histograms and trigonometry, everything becomes more complex. And, in essence, if the complexities behind it are something which you think "well, what does that mean" or "why is that squared", and you want to find out more, then by all means, I suggest that the person should consider taking it, even if they don't.

Hope ya get what I'm saying
    There is a huge amount in between SOHCAHTOA and bar charts and degree level formulas though.

ReputationRep:
    You don't understand that formulae you posted and no one does at A level. It's obviously going to look confusing and scary or off-putting to Rajive.
    Well looking through the A Level Formulae booklets, one of them was one-factor model analysis of variance.

I mean, I could have posted standard deviation, but quite a lot of people can easily understand that...

Sorry.

ReputationRep:
    Very true.

But the interest in the explanation is what leads you to the ideas at the end of the day.
    Or the other way around. The ideas lead you to the results.

ReputationRep:
    There is a huge amount in between SOHCAHTOA and bar charts and degree level formulas though.
    Well, yes, that's very true.

ReputationRep:
    Someone hasn't had any joy for a while...
    I just get kind of annoyed with people who blame something external to their control when it is not the case and this ignorance can be cured with knowledge of neuroplasticity. The best mathematicians in your school have just practiced more than others that's all it comes down to in order to make new connections in the brain and strengthen existing ones

ReputationRep:
    When I say "not taking it", I mean to say "it's not something I've said I definitely want to do", but I am considering it.

I'm aware I didn't make that clear
    I meant currently taking it (also sorry I wasn't clear!). Sorry if I've come across as harsh, I just don't think you should give advice on a subject you haven't had any experience of. I know you probably didn't mean to, but the formula you posted was very intimidating. I was very confident in my maths abilities in year 11, but that would have scared me off and made me do a double take.

How would you feel if a year nine was giving you advice about gcse maths?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morgan8002)
    Or the other way around. The ideas lead you to the results.
    True true.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.