'Islamphobia' is a nonsense term. watch

• View Poll Results: nonsense term
    YES
    50.00%
    NO
    50.00%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inhuman)
    If telling the truth leads to hatred, what is wrong with that?
    Nothing but sadly it isn't the truth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sainsburys wraps)
    Nothing but sadly it isn't the truth.
    Oh but #RelgionOfPeace #NotTrueMuslims is?

ReputationRep:
    Im loving this, we're at the centre of attention, good job OP keep making threads like these.

ReputationRep:
    Oh but #RelgionOfPeace #NotTrueMuslims is?
    Stop being one-dimensional. The world isn't a simple 'yes' or 'no', but 'nottruemuslims' sure is truer than what you want to purport

ReputationRep:
    Agree, phobia is something that persons feel themselves as victims.

It should be called anti-Islam. "Anti" is a term to describe that persons attack something which they dont like.

ReputationRep:
    Every time you people use the "Islamophobic what a stupid word" argument to distract everyone from the fact that you're discriminating against a religion.

Okay, yes, you're free to criticise religions and in my opinion all religions are stupid in the 21st century, but is running around like a pompous twit spreading hatred towards Muslims the best way to sort out the issues around it?
    How does one discriminate against a religion? It's a collection of ideas; it doesn't actually exist as a thing to discriminate against.

It would be better said that people discriminate against Muslims - they can be discriminated against because they actually exist as people who follow the ideology of Islam.

ReputationRep:
    It's not the term in itself it more that a number of people have used it to protect Islam and Muslims communities from legitimate critism which in turns creates a fear of such declaring such legitimate critism. Now that's not to say there isn't Islamaphobia, there are many who dislike Islam purely for bigoted reasons, it's different, it's foreign so on so forth but such things stem from other forms of bigotry (eg racism, xenophobia and so on).

It's sort of going the way of the term facism which is regularly used to tar a political opponent even when said opponent hold political opinions radically different from what facism actually is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TelAviv)
    How does one discriminate against a religion? It's a collection of ideas; it doesn't actually exist as a thing to discriminate against.

It would be better said that people discriminate against Muslims - they can be discriminated against because they actually exist as people who follow the ideology of Islam.
    If you go around mocking their beliefs and actively inciting hatred against its followers.

Its perfectly reasonable to take the 'Richard Dawkins' approach and discuss like that, but so many people think that freedom of speech gives them the right to harass people.

ReputationRep:
    Stop being one-dimensional. The world isn't a simple 'yes' or 'no', but 'nottruemuslims' sure is truer than what you want to purport
    If it is true, then there are nowhere near 1.4 bn Muslims in the world.

ReputationRep:
    If it is true, then there are nowhere near 1.4 bn Muslims in the world.
    do you really think we live in a world with 1.4 billion extremists/terrorists? the number is a lot closer to zero than 1.4 billion.

ReputationRep:
    do you really think we live in a world with 1.4 billion extremists/terrorists? the number is a lot closer to zero than 1.4 billion.
    What about those that discriminate based on gender or sexual orientation?

I have heard many a Muslim on here state that those aren't true Muslims.

What about those that drink?

Islam - the ideology where you get to choose and pick what you can and can't do and who you personally is part of your ideology and who isn't. Islam, **** yea.

ReputationRep:
    Islamophobia is a nonesense term and needs to be replaced, i say this as a muslim. You should be able to freely criticise or disagree with any idealogy. Anti-muslim bigotry is a problem and it should be called anti-muslim bigotry when the media reports it and not islamophobia.

A religion is an idealogy with a set of tenets that should be open to criticism.

ReputationRep:

Islam - the ideology where you get to choose and pick what you can and can't do and who you personally is part of your ideology and who isn't. Islam, **** yea.
    This is relevant all over the world in every religion. Every religion has followers that decide to follow some rules but disregard others

ReputationRep:

As if all religions aren't exactly that as well. People focus on Islam because of terrorists and the fact that its a foreign religion, and not because they genuinely fear its tenets. Terrorists, by the way, who have killed 70,000 Muslims since 2004 - the largest single group of people combined.

ReputationRep:
    As if all religions aren't exactly that as well. People focus on Islam because of terrorists and the fact that its a foreign religion, and not because they genuinely fear its tenets. Terrorists, by the way, who have killed 70,000 Muslims since 2004 - the largest single group of people combined.
    (Original post by rihana.c)
    This is relevant all over the world in every religion. Every religion has followers that decide to follow some rules but disregard others
    Ah the old, it's also other religions. Well first of all, not all, second of all name me one other religion that is still used as an excuse to incite hatred, violence, even murder, and to discriminate? Name me one.

Look at Christian countries and look at Muslim countries, and you tell me if you see no difference.

ReputationRep:
    Ah the old, it's also other religions. Well first of all, not all, second of all name me one other religion that is still used as an excuse to incite hatred, violence, even murder, and to discriminate? Name me one.

Look at Christian countries and look at Muslim countries, and you tell me if you see no difference.
    Christianity, actively discriminates against homosexuals, says you should be killed if you work on the sabbath, says you should be put to death if you speak ill of your parents.

And let me drill this into your head, Indonesia is the largest population Muslim country on this planet. How come there isn't some massive war in Indonesia right now if Islam is the problem? Open your mind to other reasons, the Middle East is a desert, it has had a series of corrupt leaders, its the victim of failed western foreign policy, it has been isolated from the rest of the world and has therefore become corrupt.

You people who look blindly at Islam and see that as the sole, singular cause of all the violence in the Middle East are a part of the problem. Islam isn't the problem, corruption is the problem and it does not derive solely from Islam, otherwise countries like Indonesia, Morocco, etc would surely also be corrupt?

You people actually make me sick.

ReputationRep:
    Christianity, actively discriminates against homosexuals, says you should be killed if you work on the sabbath, says you should be put to death if you speak ill of your parents.

And let me drill this into your head, Indonesia is the largest population Muslim country on this planet. How come there isn't some massive war in Indonesia right now if Islam is the problem? Open your mind to other reasons, the Middle East is a desert, it has had a series of corrupt leaders, its the victim of failed western foreign policy, it has been isolated from the rest of the world and has therefore become corrupt.

You people who look blindly at Islam and see that as the sole, singular cause of all the violence in the Middle East are a part of the problem. Islam isn't the problem, corruption is the problem and it does not derive solely from Islam, otherwise countries like Indonesia, Morocco, etc would surely also be corrupt?

You people actually make me sick.
    Right back atcha.

Btw who was talking about peace and not peace?

I was simply talking about their culture...so yea, who is the one drawing prejudiced conclusions now?

And so what? The old testament is a ****, but a) the new one is far less violent and b) Christianity has progressed much, much further. It is absolutely not comparable anymore to the archaic barbarism that is Islam.

ReputationRep:
    Right back atcha.

Btw who was talking about peace and not peace?

I was simply talking about their culture...so yea, who is the one drawing prejudiced conclusions now?

And so what? The old testament is a ****, but a) the new one is far less violent and b) Christianity has progressed much, much further. It is absolutely not comparable anymore to the archaic barbarism that is Islam.
    Get a grip, you cry and cry about how Islam is the single violent and discriminatory religion but I just proved to you that it isn't.

I also would love to see your response to how 'ALL MUSLIM COUNTRIES ARE A VIOLENT MESS BLA BLA BLA' despite the fact that the highest Muslim population country is a truly great place.

ReputationRep:
    Get a grip, you cry and cry about how Islam is the single violent and discriminatory religion but I just proved to you that it isn't.

I also would love to see your response to how 'ALL MUSLIM COUNTRIES ARE A VIOLENT MESS BLA BLA BLA' despite the fact that the highest Muslim population country is a truly great place.
    You "proved" nothing...lol.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...es-aceh-church

I see. And Bali?

http://america.aljazeera.com/opinion...eofficers.html

Yea, I really wanna live in Indonesia :facepalm:

ReputationRep:

The thing is, the majoirty of the millions of muslims (the ones who believe they are true muslims) tend to look at WHY the Quran says stuff as well as WHAT it actually says. They also look at it in the context of the time it was written.

If you do that, you would actually find that the overall teaching is peace and acceptance - despite some of the contraversial parts - like you mentioned above.

btw picking out phrases from Islamic teaching out of context to justify actions and viewpoints (like you just did there) is what those extremists + terrorists do...

Islam - the ideology where non-muslims get to choose and pick which parts would and wouldn't be better at insulting decent muslims rather than coming up with an educated debate.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.