Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What do you get mistaken for? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Whenever I go on holiday to somewhere like Spain or France, they think I am their nationality so start speaking to me in the local language even though other people they have seen were spoke to in perfect English.

It might have something to do with the fact I have olive skin because I'm 1/4 German (3/4 English)
    I have a slightly more European look? I don't know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aamirac)
    Chinese, Spanish (?), Malaysian, Taiwan and Arab to name a few.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I'm Indian :rofl:
    You are lit a hybrid

ReputationRep:
    Irish. Ppl think I'm Irish.

(Original post by Namita Gurung)
    Chinese

My mum's friends thought I was taking the piss when I greeted them in Nepalese :unimpressed:
    Greet me in Nepalese, palese. I mean please.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spock's Socks)
    When I went to Iceland on holiday, the locals thought I was Irish instead of Scottish. Don't know how they could mistake a heavy Glaswegian accent for an Irish one :laugh:
    I feel your paiiiiiin. My mum is English, dad is Scottish and ppl think I'm Irish lol no problem just saying, there's a fine difference...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0to100)
    Irish. Ppl think I'm Irish.

Greet me in Nepalese, palese. I mean please.
    Do you have an Irish accent?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    नमस्ते

ReputationRep:
    Do you have an Irish accent?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    नमस्ते
    Write that out in English so I can learn to pronounce it

It's a local accent that many people have in my hometown, some of the dialect is influenced by Irish but...I wouldn't say I have an Irish accent. I think it's because people look and think I am or don't recognise the accent or something. But it's mainly nonwhite people who confuse it lol I also have loads of Irish and Scottish descent mates.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    a monkey

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes people have mistaken me for a guy because I used to have super short hair (a couple of centimetres). I was once talking to this girl complaining that my physics class was full of guys and she asked me if I went to an all boys school .... I was like no.... It's not so bad really.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Colombian,Mexican,Spanish,or part oriental and something else but most of the time it's middle eastern anyway so it's on point

ReputationRep:
    Polish people always seem to think I'm Polish too, just standard British in reality

ReputationRep:
    In real life - Unemployed

On TSR - A girl

ReputationRep:
    Nigerian :hand: :puke: i am Ghanaian we make the best Jollof period

I also get mistaken for Eddie Murphy lookalike

ReputationRep:
    A failure.

Oh wait...

ReputationRep:
    Write that out in English so I can learn to pronounce it

It's a local accent that many people have in my hometown, some of the dialect is influenced by Irish but...I wouldn't say I have an Irish accent. I think it's because people look and think I am or don't recognise the accent or something. But it's mainly nonwhite people who confuse it lol I also have loads of Irish and Scottish descent mates.
    Why you gonna talk nepalese to me? It's pronounced Namaste by the way. It means hello.

Ahhh tbf I'm really bad at recognising different races by just looking at someone.

ReputationRep:
    Why you gonna talk nepalese to me? It's pronounced Namaste by the way. It means hello.

Ahhh tbf I'm really bad at recognising different races by just looking at someone.
    I've heard people say namaste to say hell lol
    I actually think I'm pretty good at recognising by faces. Like I would rarely confuse Chinese for someone from Philippines or Thailand. It gets tricky when you see someone mixed but in general they're quite different. I can definitely tell by accent and names. No idea how people screw that stuff up lol

ReputationRep:
    GaY LoL Even my sister asks me if I am.

ReputationRep:
    I've heard people say namaste to say hell lol
    I actually think I'm pretty good at recognising by faces. Like I would rarely confuse Chinese for someone from Philippines or Thailand. It gets tricky when you see someone mixed but in general they're quite different. I can definitely tell by accent and names. No idea how people screw that stuff up lol
    Really? There's a few languages which have Namaste e.g. Indians say it as well.
    I can't tell the difference between accents either or names.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toonervoustotalk)
    Nigerian :hand: :puke: i am Ghanaian we make the best Jollof period

I also get mistaken for Eddie Murphy lookalike
    Why you throwing up about being mistaken for another African ethnicity? Weird, black on black lol

ReputationRep:
    a tree

ReputationRep:
    Why you throwing up about being mistaken for another African ethnicity? Weird, black on black lol
    Haha it is just banter

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.