Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

To all current Y11s. Be confident in yourself and your decisions. watch

ReputationRep:
    Maths(Pre-U), Biology, Chemistry, Physics

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by niv1234)
    I hope thats true my school is aware of my situation so they said I could change my options early next year if I don't like them.
    Yeah I think that you can switch classes in your first few weeks of Y12 if you realise the subjects are not for you
    Is your school doing anything about the situation (like talking to your parents, or just allowing you to choose your favourite subjects)?

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes, guidance is good...

I originally planned to take Music, Physics, Chemistry and Maths. My Music department is terrible and I wasn't really a big fan of Chemistry but felt I should take another science just because, out of misplaced STEMphilia I guess. My history teacher wondered why I wasn't doing English or History and reminded me of my exceptional GCSE performances in them. I reflected a bit and decided he was probably right, and, indeed, I very much enjoyed both subjects, not so true of Chemistry. So I swapped it and Music for English and History. History was a nice and valuable AS; I was able to learn more about the history of the system of government in the country I live in which I think is pretty good stuff to know. English was a very nice AS and A2; though Maths has been my "thing" for a while, I have always loved English, and formulating arguments and ideas and interpretations, and discussing contrasting views, and so on. I very much enjoyed that A level.

Most people dropped out of Music or did terribly, and I've heard from many that it's very hard. Chemistry, well, just looking at some of the A level material on that could put me to sleep. So it's always good to reflect, and think about what others tell you. Even if you ultimately decide that they're full of **** lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nisha.sri)
    I've picked that too Why did your parents pick them though ? What did you want to pick?
    My parents only think of maths and science subjects as 'real' subjects its so frustrating. I wanted to do Latin, German, History .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by surina16)
    Yeah I think that you can switch classes in your first few weeks of Y12 if you realise the subjects are not for you
    Is your school doing anything about the situation (like talking to your parents, or just allowing you to choose your favourite subjects)?
    They tried to persuade my parents but it didn't work. Also because no one else wanted to do the subjects I wanted to do they didn't get put into the options block

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pulscate)
    Thank you so much Edminzodo!
    I picked A level maths, chemistry and physics. I'm working at a C in GCSE and I want an A* at A level. See I'm brave!
    You can't be taking those subjects if your only working at a c grade lmao, im pretty sure there is miniuinm grades you need to get at gcse to do those a level?

ReputationRep:
    They tried to persuade my parents but it didn't work. Also because no one else wanted to do the subjects I wanted to do they didn't get put into the options block
    Oh that's annoying. Couldn't your school compromise and make it possible for you to do at least 2 of your options? I think German and History are fairly popular, and then maybe you could do maths or even a science to please your parents?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by surina16)
    Oh that's annoying. Couldn't your school compromise and make it possible for you to do at least 2 of your options? I think German and History are fairly popular, and then maybe you could do maths or even a science to please your parents?
    I can't do German or Latin as not enough people are doing them but my parents have said I can do German as a 4th option if I move to a school that lets you do 4 Alevels. They really want me to do all 3 of those subjects I have tried asking to do biology and chemistry and not maths as I really don't enjoy it and they just looked at me like I am crazy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theBranicAc)
    You can't be taking those subjects if your only working at a c grade lmao, im pretty sure there is miniuinm grades you need to get at gcse to do those a level?
    No my sixth form said C is fine and try to get a B anyway
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Biology, Chemistry,Maths I wanted to do Latin, German, History
    your parents seem like those people who want their child to become doctors -_- maybe you can convince them to let you do a mix of your subjects and one of theirs like maths instead of latin

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihatePE)
    your parents seem like those people who want their child to become doctors -_- maybe you can convince them to let you do a mix of your subjects and one of theirs like maths instead of latin
    I would never be able to be a doctor. I hope so , they are making me do all their subjects but they said if I move to a school that lets you do 4 Alevels I can choose my own 4th option.

ReputationRep:
    I am intending on doing maths, further maths, physics and chemistry at a-level in September. Despite working at an A* in all of these subjects at GCSE, I am nervous & unsure wether to take them. I just feel I may be unable to do all of these, despite them being my favourite subjects.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by J__)
    I am intending on doing maths, further maths, physics and chemistry at a-level in September. Despite working at an A* in all of these subjects at GCSE, I am nervous & unsure wether to take them. I just feel I may be unable to do all of these, despite them being my favourite subjects.
    Have faith in your abilities. With hard work, you'll be able to do really well in all of them! Best of luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Edminzodo)
    Have faith in your abilities. With hard work, you'll be able to do really well in all of them! Best of luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you, that is really reassuring. & good luck for your exams.

ReputationRep:
    My parents only think of maths and science subjects as 'real' subjects its so frustrating. I wanted to do Latin, German, History .
    That must be so annoying. You should have done what you wanted to do
    What do you want to become when your older ?
    Also, are your parents strict ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nisha.sri)
    That must be so annoying. You should have done what you wanted to do
    What do you want to become when your older ?
    Also, are your parents strict ?
    Yeah it is. Thats what everyone is saying but I really can't help it I really like languages- I do a lot of them in school so I wanted to do something with that or something like egyptology, anthropology or archaeology- I really enjoy that stuff. What do you want to be when you are older?

Yeah they are really strict and religious

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J__)
    They aren't that bad a combo, they complement each other pretty nicely

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samb1234)
    They aren't that bad a combo, they complement each other pretty nicely
    Yeah thats what i thought, they are all related in some ways.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Yeah it is. Thats what everyone is saying but I really can't help it I really like languages- I do a lot of them in school so I wanted to do something with that or something like egyptology, anthropology or archaeology- I really enjoy that stuff. What do you want to be when you are older?

Yeah they are really strict and religious
    Coincidentally, I'm going to be doing Egyptology in September, and even if you take Biology, Chemistry and Maths, I think you'd be able to apply for the subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Edminzodo)
    Coincidentally, I'm going to be doing Egyptology in September, and even if you take Biology, Chemistry and Maths, I think you'd be able to apply for the subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thats good I really didn't know that. What Alevels did you do?

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.