CfE Advanced Higher Mathematics 2016/2017

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellton)
    I am doing AH maths this year and I'm wondering if you guys know any good websites to help and that have practice questions on specific topics in the course?
    I don't know about any specific websites but I know a youtuber called DLBMATHS and he goes through all the AH maths papers in a structured and coherent way. Check his channel out it's really helpful.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing AH maths this year and so far I've done binomial theorem, partial fractions and some of differentiation. How is everyone finding it so far now that we are all properly back at school?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Labrador99)
    I'm doing AH maths this year and so far I've done binomial theorem, partial fractions and some of differentiation. How is everyone finding it so far now that we are all properly back at school?
    Quite hard tbh, thanks for asking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RossB1702)
    Quite hard tbh, thanks for asking.
    That's normal. Once you reach October you'll be used to the difficulty. Get started on the past papers and don't dwell too much on the textbook!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JP298)
    That's normal. Once you reach October you'll be used to the difficulty. Get started on the past papers and don't dwell too much on the textbook!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks, we're doing curve sketching with vertical and horizontal asymptotes atm, find them quite hard.

ReputationRep:
    Your chances are fairly high - I would say try acing the bmat but I don't really know much about that as I'm just sitting the ukcat. And I was considering Oxford for a while but I don't want to pay for uni so I'm just going to stick with Scotland and see what happens. All the best - also what subjects are you taking in S6?

Posted from TSR Mobile

So far it's going okay I'm still mostly rusty on pretty much everything I just need to knuckle down with practise questions. I'm kind of busy getting ready for my UKCAT and personal statement but once that's out the way I'm going to go through all the practise questions. How are you finding it?

ReputationRep:
    How is everyone getting on?

ReputationRep:
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1475000800.091238.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  100.8 KB

Hey can someone help me ? I don't understand the last line in this example.
    Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
Size:  100.8 KB

Hey can someone help me ? I don't understand the last line in this example.
    Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm pretty sure the last line is supposed to be 3^(n+2)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gwagon)
    I'm pretty sure the last line is supposed to be 3^(n+2)
    My teacher did this example and wrote these notes I imagine at least a decade ago. It's most likely right as he uses these notes every year he teaches advanced higher, he would have noticed it was wrong by now. I don't understand where the 3^n+2 comes from though, I understand everything else. Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My teacher did this example. And wrote these notes I imagine at least a decade ago. It's most likely right. I don't understand where the 3^n+2 comes from though, I understand everything else. Posted from TSR Mobile
Size:  100.8 KB Hey can someone help me ? I don't understand the last line in this example.Thanks. Posted from TSR Mobile
    If you look at the right hand column that your teacher has wrote, in the 3^x bit, the index is always 2 greater than n (where n is taken from whatever number derivative it is (i.e. 2nd, 3rd, 4th derivative) d^(n)y/dx^n), so n+2 is used as the generalisation. E.g in the third derivative, n=3, so the coefficient of e^(-3x) is equal to 3^(n+2) = 3^5. Hopefully this makes sense (let me know if it doesn't!) and is helpful
    If anyone can explain or answer this any better, please do!

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone. There are some useful resources on this website http://www.national5maths.co.uk/free-ah-maths/
    (despite the name, it does have AH materials!). It has notes, past papers (all the way back to 2001(2002 onwards have answers)), past paper questions by topic and practice prelims/unit assessments. Just thought some people might find it useful

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only one who is lost as f in AH Maths?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .......Jeff458)
    Am I the only one who is lost as f in AH Maths?
    Wait till the start of november and reconsider your options there again. I found that by mid october I was used to the difficulty of the course. If you are really wanting to succeed then do the work the now, cause I waited till around the last 2 weeks before the exam and was doing about 1 or 2 past papers a day. That was along with studying for 2 other subjects which I wasn't really prepared for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DonAchille)
    How is everyone getting on?
    Terrible. wby?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JP298)
    Wait till the start of november and reconsider your options there again. I found that by mid october I was used to the difficulty of the course. If you are really wanting to succeed then do the work the now, cause I waited till around the last 2 weeks before the exam and was doing about 1 or 2 past papers a day. That was along with studying for 2 other subjects which I wasn't really prepared for.
    If you don't mind me asking, how did you end up getting on in AH's? Because I am really hoping for 3A's but it seems PROPERLY hard!

ReputationRep:
    If you don't mind me asking, how did you end up getting on in AH's? Because I am really hoping for 3A's but it seems PROPERLY hard!
    I remember him saying he expected As in maths and physics but I'm not sure if thats what he actually got. He probably did get As in them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I remember him saying he expected As in maths and physics but I'm not sure if thats what he actually got. He probably did get As in them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah I got 3 A's. I can assure you that it is difficult but still very possible, I'm just fortunate that I thrive under pressure. I got both C's for Maths and Physics at prelim time but I then came out with top 3 results in both classes for the final exams. Funny thing was that both my teachers put me down for A as my expected grades on UCAS because they knew what I was capable of. There were 4 people in my year who were going into medicine and dentistry, they had achieved 8 A's at N5 then 6 A's at higher. None of them except one got 3 A's. In-fact one of them got 3 B's. Take from that what you will.

If you gain an unconditional then your Adv Highers results will not matter. If you are like me you will want to do well purely for pride. I took Adv Maths since my degree is basically half of a maths degree, so far at university it hasn't really helped me because the way of thinking and problem solving is completely different which is contradictory to what my teachers told me at school but I've only covered two subjects as of yet to be fair. Adv Higher maths is very limited on what can be tested so the problem solving difficulty is at a lower level than that in higher IMHO. Give us a shout if you have any more questions and keep at it, it will soon get better!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JP298)
    Yeah I got 3 A's. I can assure you that it is difficult but still very possible, I'm just fortunate that I thrive under pressure. I got both C's for Maths and Physics at prelim time but I then came out with top 3 results in both classes for the final exams. Funny thing was that both my teachers put me down for A as my expected grades on UCAS because they knew what I was capable of. There were 4 people in my year who were going into medicine and dentistry, they had achieved 8 A's at N5 then 6 A's at higher. None of them except one got 3 A's. In-fact one of them got 3 B's. Take from that what you will.

If you gain an unconditional then your Adv Highers results will not matter. If you are like me you will want to do well purely for pride. I took Adv Maths since my degree is basically half of a maths degree, so far at university it hasn't really helped me because the way of thinking and problem solving is completely different which is contradictory to what my teachers told me at school but I've only covered two subjects as of yet to be fair. Adv Higher maths is very limited on what can be tested so the problem solving difficulty is at a lower level than that in higher IMHO. Give us a shout if you have any more questions and keep at it, it will soon get better!
    How's uni going ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuba123)
    Terrible. wby?
    It's going well so far. I've flown through parts of the book. Spending a good bit of time practicing calculus at the moment, my tutor and I are working on all of the calculus as a whole as we feel it's a big part of the subject. I really liked the number theory stuff that's in there.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 26, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Applying to university
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.