Official imperial college london 2017 applicants

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkEnergy)
    Incorrect. "[To get an A*], candidates must get a grade A on the A Level overall and achieve at least 90% of the UMS on the core A2 units combined(units C3 and C4)." (source)

Therefore, even if you scraped a B at AS with 210 UMS, you could still get an A* if you got 90 UMS in each of your A2 modules.
    I stand corrected.

So for Further Maths this year I got FP1 = 81, S2 = 81, M2 = 90. To get an A* do I need to get the FP2 and FP3 average to be 90+, or is it the average of S2, FP2, FP3 and M3 (M3 I will do this coming year)?

EDIT:
    "For Further Mathematics, the A*grade will be awarded to candidates achieving a grade A overall at A level and 90% of the maximum uniform marks on the aggregate of the three best A2 units which contributed to Further Mathematics. " http://www.rewardinglearning.org.uk/...tics/gce/faqs/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TiernanW)
    So for Further Maths this year I got FP1 = 81, S2 = 81, M2 = 90. To get an A* do I need to get the FP2 and FP3 average to be 90+, or is it the average of S2, FP2, FP3 and M3 (M3 I will do this coming year)?
    For Further Maths, you need 80% on the A Level overall and at least 90% of the UMS on your three best A2 units. So modules will be swapped between normal Maths and Further Maths to get the right combination.

ReputationRep:
    what are the chances of me getting accepted to study Biochemistry with these AS results
    Psychology: A
    Chemistry: B
    Biology: B

predicted grades: AAA
    Imperial entry requirements: AAA

also i'm taking a gap year with the hope of improving a few of A2 exams as i did not do so well.

ReputationRep:
    Intended Subject: Mathematics

GCSES: 3A* 6A 2B

AS level : AAAA (Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Economics)

A level prediction: Probably A*A*A*A*, or A*A*A*A at worst.

Extracurricular:
    Not much to be honest but it isn't really needed for maths. Hoping a good MAT score makes up for this and poor GCSES. Some of the gcses on this thread depress me.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheRandomGenius)
    Intended Subject: Mathematics

GCSES: 3A* 6A 2B

AS level : AAAA (Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Economics)

A level prediction: Probably A*A*A*A*, or A*A*A*A at worst.

Extracurricular:
    Not much to be honest but it isn't really needed for maths. Hoping a good MAT score makes up for this and poor GCSES. Some of the gcses on this thread depress me.

Are you keeping all four subjects?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkPlatinum)
    Are you keeping all four subjects?
    Yep, you?

ReputationRep:
    Just adding myself to this thread.

Intended Subject: Chemical Engineering
    GCSE Grades: 8A*s, 4A's and 2B's
    AS-level (Actual): AAAABC (Maths, FM, Chemistry, Physics, General Studies and EPQ)
    A-level (Actual): A*A*A*A (Maths, FM, Chemistry and Physics)
    Extracurriculars: Blegh

ReputationRep:
    Oh I remember when I was posting in these threads as a university applicant xd
    good luck to you all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NeverLucky)

AS-level (Actual): AAAABC (Maths, FM, Chemistry, Physics, General Studies and EPQ)
    'Blegh' 😂 Pretty much my response too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheRandomGenius)
    'Blegh' 😂 Pretty much my response too
    Haha I just don't think it's that important for unis such as Imperial. As long as your grades are strong, chances are you'll get an interview and then you can truly impress them.

ReputationRep:
    Haha I just don't think it's that important for unis such as Imperial. As long as your grades are strong, chances are you'll get an interview and then you can truly impress them.
    Imperial don't interview routinely for my course fortunately. Have to rely on my probable A*A*A*A* prediction plus a strong mat score to impress them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OGFakiie)
    Chemical Engineering
    GCSE: 2A* 6A 2B (not great)
    AS(predicted): AAA (maths Chem biology)
    A2(hoping for): A*A*A
    extracurricular: Maths mentor for post-16 students for a year, volunteer in a café in a hospital, homework helper in local library, captained secondary school cricket team, attended Chem Eng. lectures at Uni of notts&sheffield...

What else should I include in my personal statement? I've done a load of extra reading if that helps And are my gcse's good enough, and will I be disadvantaged with only studying 3 Alevels?
    Hi there, I also want to study Chemical Engineering but I've been finding actually reading relevant books quite challenging, could you recommend me any cheap books that actually give an insight into Chemical Engineering??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timster32)
    Hi there, I also want to study Chemical Engineering but I've been finding actually reading relevant books quite challenging, could you recommend me any cheap books that actually give an insight into Chemical Engineering??
    Introduction to Chemical Engineering: tools for today and tomorrow , this is a good book, but isn't too cheap. Around £25/30 from amazon

ReputationRep:
    Introduction to Chemical Engineering: tools for today and tomorrow , this is a good book, but isn't too cheap. Around £25/30 from amazon
    Ahhh little bit on the expensive side but I'll see what I can do, thanks for the recommendation!

ReputationRep:

Dam your grades are amazing! How were you able to do 14GCSEs and 5AS levels though?

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh little bit on the expensive side but I'll see what I can do, thanks for the recommendation!
    You could always try asking your college/sixth form librarian to order a copy for you? I did this and they were more than happy too

ReputationRep:
    Chemical Engineering
    GCSE: 6A* 5A 1B
    AS- I took Maths and German where I got an A and a B respectively (I am dropping German).
    I will be doing Maths, Further, Physics and Chemistry for A2.
    extracurricular: Helped to run some Maths Masterclasses for Year 9's, helped with reading at a local primary school, gone on Headstart and Smallpiece taster courses. I also like to play football, rugby, cricket and I got to grade 5 violin before I quit.

ReputationRep:
    You could always try asking your college/sixth form librarian to order a copy for you? I did this and they were more than happy too
    Yeah I would but I'm not sure how much I would have to pay, considering my school likes to charge absolutely everything to the bill...

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I would but I'm not sure how much I would have to pay, considering my school likes to charge absolutely everything to the bill...
    Ahh okay, you could still give it a try. If you don't mind me asking, but how do you take part, or find out about these head start courses/tasters etc..

ReputationRep:
    Ahh okay, you could still give it a try. If you don't mind me asking, but how do you take part, or find out about these head start courses/tasters etc..
    Haha I will. Well it would be too late unfortunately for you as it's only for Year 12's but my school told me about Headstart and the Smallpiece trust, I just had to do some digging on my own. They were really helpful in terms of getting a flavour of the different engineering disciplines and what studying engineering at univeristy is like but it's not incredibly important. It's all about just looking everywhere, the internet should be your best friend!

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 4, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.