Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unown Uzer)
    That's right.
    Are you going to detain half of the Scots too, since they're sympathetic for independence?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Kay_Winters)
    This is beyond any measure of reason... to hear anyone in this house, let alone a prominent member suggest something like this is deeply troubling
    And nuking them isn't?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    And nuking them isn't?
    That as well is, but I was only replying to that latest comment, not one from last night

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    Are you going to detain half of the Scots too, since they're sympathetic for independence?
    Well, there is not a terrorist threat in Scotland at the moment, is there? So there is no need to declare a state of emergency in Scotland.

ReputationRep:
    StatementHer Majesty's Government notes the ongoing unrest in Northern Ireland and sanctions these measures in order to maintain order and prevent an escalation:

– The Northern Ireland Assembly is hereby suspended to restore stable executive.

– Police Support Units have been deployed to enforce order. They are authorised to install barricades, use conventional crowd control equipment including water cannons to prevent riots, and make arrests. The use of non-lethal projectiles is to be avoided for now.

– The police are also launching investigations aimed at key persons responsible for the unrest (potentially including the reported harassment—the Government requests further details; police investigations will not be used for politicised cases). All suspected terrorists will be prosecuted.

– The Department for Culture, Media and Sport is looking into the regulations concerning the designated days for Union Flag flying to see if a compromise could be achieved by altering nation-wide legislation.

ReputationRep:
    Does the Prime Minister not fear that depriving Northern Ireland of the limited control over its own affairs it currently has might risk inciting Anglophobia and violence?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    Does the Prime Minister not fear that depriving Northern Ireland of the limited control over its own affairs it currently has might risk inciting Anglophobia and violence?
    History would suggest that short term suspension of Stormont is not s bad move, especially given that it is a short term solution to the collapse of the aforementioned body. I trust that it is nothing more than an interim state of affairs while negotiations take place yo return the body to a state that is stable and for to retake control.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    x
    Mr Minister Prime, can you confirm whether the deployments mentioned include that if mounted officers, as an individual that indirectly understands the effect that this can have on the willingness of dissidents to persist in their actions?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the Defence Secretary; it is a temporary measure and for their own sake too…

(Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Mr Minister Prime, can you confirm whether the deployments mentioned include that if mounted officers, as an individual that indirectly understands the effect that this can have on the willingness of dissidents to persist in their actions?
    Yes, I can indeed confirm that several mounted units with shiny new batons have been deployed as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    StatementHer Majesty's Government notes the ongoing unrest in Northern Ireland and sanctions these measures in order to maintain order and prevent an escalation:

– The Northern Ireland Assembly is hereby suspended to restore stable executive.

– Police Support Units have been deployed to enforce order. They are authorised to install barricades, use conventional crowd control equipment including water cannons to prevent riots, and make arrests. The use of non-lethal projectiles is to be avoided for now.

– The police are also launching investigations aimed at key persons responsible for the unrest (potentially including the reported harassment—the Government requests further details; police investigations will not be used for politicised cases). All suspected terrorists will be prosecuted.

– The Department for Culture, Media and Sport is looking into the regulations concerning the designated days for Union Flag flying to see if a compromise could be achieved by altering nation-wide legislation.
    What a weak response. There would be tanks in there by now if I were Prime Minister.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    What a weak response. There would be tanks in there by now if I were Prime Minister.
    And that is why you are not Prime Minister
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    so you don't want to be PM then? Or in government:/
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Northern Ireland under Chairman Uzer:

ReputationRep:
    So… has there been any development or is this the end of the crisis?

ReputationRep:
    This government will never cow to terrorists. I commend the statement from the Prime Minister and encourage him to go further if needs be.

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to ask what the cost is for our civil liberties, if you wish to take an authoritarian stance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I'd like to ask what the cost is for our civil liberties, if you wish to take an authoritarian stance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Obviously I cannot soak for the government, but my position is that ,at the very least in a pretty democratic society such as ours, civil liberties end when violence begins. The first and foremost duty of government is the protection of their citizens, and if that means the temporary suspension of some liberties while order is reestablished it is a price with paying to fend off chaos.

I am also confident that it is position of this government that any such suspensions are only until such a time that sufficient order is established such that the resumption of any liberties does not pose an unreasonable threat to the innocent.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    And that is why you are not Prime Minister
    Do you support the PM in suspending civil liberties?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Obviously I cannot soak for the government, but my position is that ,at the very least in a pretty democratic society such as ours, civil liberties end when violence begins. The first and foremost duty of government is the protection of their citizens, and if that means the temporary suspension of some liberties while order is reestablished it is a price with paying to fend off chaos.

I am also confident that it is position of this government that any such suspensions are only until such a time that sufficient order is established such that the resumption of any liberties does not pose an unreasonable threat to the innocent.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ok

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    Do you support the PM in suspending civil liberties?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I believe the action we have taken, in this specific case, is the necessary one. Its regretful that it is needed and will only be a temporary measure, but peace is absolutely vital here.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.