Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My sister is a conceited and self-righteous brat. What can I do about it? Watch

From a parental position here, are you absolutely sure it's all her, and none of it is you? That you don't demand a certain amount of respect from her but don't reciprocate? That you don't feel a little bit more superior being the oldest and that she should do what you feel is right for her?
    I say this as a mum that has a son and a daughter who have fought constantly from being little. Violent physical fights, verbal abuse, both constantly accusing me of favouring the other (which is a pretty standard accusation in my circle of friends with kids).
    Mine have been so bad sometimes that I have literally left the house and driven off and not come back for hours because I was fed up of being the intermediary and listening to it. Both were equally irrational, sometimes one worse than the other, sometimes both as bad. However, overall, they were and still can be horrible in each other's company. Both are lovely good company without the other.
    Even now at 22 and 19 they are not friends, they tolerate each other, but even nice meals are smattered with snidey comments, or him being condescending to her or her being aggressive and defensive with little or no provocation. It never ends.
    I find it hard to believe that she is this vile person you describe and you are faultless. She is also 16, a very difficult age for a teenage girl full of hormones.

Just saying...

(Original post by Anonymous)
    From a parental position here, are you absolutely sure it's all her, and none of it is you? That you don't demand a certain amount of respect from her but don't reciprocate? That you don't feel a little bit more superior being the oldest and that she should do what you feel is right for her?
    I say this as a mum that has a son and a daughter who have fought constantly from being little. Violent physical fights, verbal abuse, both constantly accusing me of favouring the other (which is a pretty standard accusation in my circle of friends with kids).
    Mine have been so bad sometimes that I have literally left the house and driven off and not come back for hours because I was fed up of being the intermediary and listening to it. Both were equally irrational, sometimes one worse than the other, sometimes both as bad. However, overall, they were and still can be horrible in each other's company. Both are lovely good company without the other.
    Even now at 22 and 19 they are not friends, they tolerate each other, but even nice meals are smattered with snidey comments, or him being condescending to her or her being aggressive and defensive with little or no provocation. It never ends.
    I find it hard to believe that she is this vile person you describe and you are faultless. She is also 16, a very difficult age for a teenage girl full of hormones.

Just saying...
    I keep myself to myself most of the time. I want my own space but it's constantly invaded. I believe it's 20% my doing and 80% hers. I usually pull her leg when she says something naive, but she makes my life a living hell by being devious and coercive.

We had a chat earlier on, supervised by my mum, but even then she wouldn't listen to either my mum or I. She gets super defensive and shifts the blame or dismisses it altogether.

I've witnessed other girls at 16 and they certainly weren't as volatile and disagreeable as she is - this isn't only about "hormones".

Anyway, I'm not going to bother with her anymore. She can sort her own problems out. She can forget about me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm almost at the edge, I can't take much more of it before losing the plot.

My sister is horrible, she's bossy, she's manipulative, she gets away with everything and she makes life just hell for me. She knocks on my door and, without waiting for a reply, just walks into my room and starts shouting at me.

She yells that I was supposed to take my little sister (other sister) to school and that my mum is sick and I'm such a **** for not doing it... but I asked my mum last night and she said she's fine taking her. I've been picking her up all week.

I honestly can't deal with her insolence, and the worst is my parents claim they're fed up with the rows but they do jack ****. My sister starts all of them, some times in front of my parents, but they just sit there and then blame me.

She's a spoilt brat... and it's been getting worse since she has been going to this private boarding school.

What can I do?
    Your sister sounds like me tbh, I'm not so much like that now though but I recommend ignoring her and pretending she doesn't exist. It'll really piss her off.

ReputationRep:
    My sister could not be any different!! I hate her!!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 1, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.