Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Yes or they pretend to maybe a few year 7s don't im in Year 11
    Oh OK. Do you think they would have a problem if you just said you weren't fasting? I ask because in my school there are muslims who fast and muslims who don't fast. I'm sure there will be other muslims who won't be fasting too or maybe you can say you get dehydrated and cannot concentrate in exams when you're fasting since it's exam period? :dontknow:

It's a shame you need to worry about something like this because of how people may react who should really only be concerned only about themselves. Don't worry about it though I'm sure it won't be as bad as you think. Surely there will be others too, just like you, who won't be fasting.

Best of luck mate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arima)
    Trust me there are so many muslims in the UK, we see people eating/drinking ALL THE TIME. It's not a problem for most of us. But of course if you have muslim friends it would be very considerate to not eat copiously when you're with them, as long as you're not "rubbing it in" their face per se.
    My mates were Muslim there Ramadan lasted until about lunchtime I said right I am off to luch one of my friends was like uh we can't go to lunch we are on ramada I was like yeah but I'm not so we wen't to Subway I concise do them that they couldcatleast get a drink next thing bikinis we are all tucking in to 6 inch subs whoops my bad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A.S.J)
    Really? Go search google and you will see the reasons to fast. Go ahead.
    just did it

Every legitimate medical source I clicked on agreed that it's only real benefit is weight loss

Is this the reason to fast you're referring to? Surely weight loss isn't properly achieved when Ramadan involves a big fatty feast at night?

Sad!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TelAviv)
    just did it

Every legitimate medical source I clicked on agreed that it's only real benefit is weight loss

Is this the reason to fast you're referring to? Surely weight loss isn't properly achieved when Ramadan involves a big fatty feast at night?

Sad!
    Fasting is more spiritual and about being more pious. Not about losing weight

ReputationRep:
    just did it

Sad!
    Lol. Let me find you a good link.

No not everyone does that.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Healthyra...andhealth.aspx

http://islam.ru/en/content/story/10-...nefits-fasting

http://www.qul.org.au/islamic-occasi...sting-benefits

http://www.soundvision.com/article/t...amadan-fasting

http://english.alarabiya.net/en/life...n-Ramadan.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by strikeh)
    Fasting is more spiritual and about being more pious. Not about losing weight
    So you'd agree that to a Kuffir (such as OP) there's no legitimate reason for them to be fasting for Ramadan?

ReputationRep:
    So you'd agree that to a Kuffir (such as OP) there's no legitimate reason for them to be fasting for Ramadan?
    There is many actually.

ReputationRep:
    there are plenty of non - muslims that fast

ReputationRep:
    This oerson has the links.
    Im sorry my browser wouldnt copy paste links dont take it as an excuse as soon as it does i will make sure to give you some links.

ReputationRep:
    I don't mean to be ignorant but why is everyone saying 'fear Allah'?
    Surely if the person in question isn't a Muslim why should they fear an Islamic God?
    And even if they are it is clear they don't want to be so why should they live in fear?
    I don't understand why any God would want someone to fear them...
    Just what I think anyway and my opinion doesn't count for much so..
    well its more like u should love AND fear God. u should love him, coz of obvious reasons, but there should be a moderate amount of fear to set the boundary. he is God after all, we can't be getting too comfortable and acting like we're on his level hence we should fear him a littlee bit, coz, uno, he has the power to doom us to a lifetime of eternal pain and torture in the depths of hell. kinda like ur parents; u love em but theres a little bit of fear there (at least for me always, God knows my heart skips a beat when i see 20 missed calls from mum)

i think ppl are saying fear Allah coz a) he told ppl not to so they think it's funny to not do what he says lol and b) in the hope that this anon thread-starter guy will become muslim, fear god and start fasting.

but idk, I'm not them after all

ReputationRep:
    If you're not a muslim then it shouldn't be a problem for you not to fast. As a Muslim myself, I don't see how it's any of my business why or why not you fast because frankly this is your choice and no one should force you to or even ask you about it. However, I'll admit that there are muslims out there that doesn't know respect of boundaries or even try to look through another person's shoes. If they're good Muslims then they should try not to ask because it's your choice. If you really want to make up an excuse then you either say you're sick and need to take medication that requires you to eat or if you have exams that lasts for a month then you can try to use that as an excuse because studying while fasting isn't a good idea and it isn't recommended in my opinion. If that doesn't work then try to find a quiet place to eat, where they can't find you, but if they get annoyed that you're eating then tell them to suck it up because they can't expect everyone to fast with them. It's one thing for you to respect their need to fast but it's another thing if they decide to bother you with things that isn't their business.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AperfectBalance)
    Come out and say you are not, no point living your life as a lie following some false god. Just be free and happy
    ahh it seems appropriate that a new form of 'coming out' should commence on the internet. there's way too many ppl who commit fakery in the art of muslimhood, i feel like this should be a 'thing'

ReputationRep:
    Don't fast if you don't want to, but don't hide the fact that you aren't fasting. You'd find it much more awkward if you get caught eating whilst people think that you are fasting.
    Ramadhan is about being pious, remembering those who are less fortunate than you. It is also a time to gather rewards and get rid of sins - having a good character during ramadhan will benefit you! There is no point in lying/ being decitful and not fasting as well, for it will only be worse for you.
    Some are saying Fear Allah (swt), but you have to remember that Allah (swt) is all forgiving and all merciful.
    I hope you have a good ramadhan regardless of whether you are fasting or not

ReputationRep:
    Say you're on your period (if you're a girl)

its no ones business anyway if you don't fast
    what are your muslim classmates gonna do about it? who cares what they think??

just eat in private

it isn't as simple as saying I'm not muslim.

Here's the ruling on those who leave islam

https://islamqa.info/en/165492

it only ends in execution or returning to islam although both are equally unlikely

ReputationRep:
    it isn't as simple as saying I'm not muslim.

Here's the ruling on those who leave islam

https://islamqa.info/en/165492

it only ends in execution or returning to islam although both are equally unlikely
    You need to understand that it does not matter if your entire town is 99% Muslim. You live in England (I'm assuming, or at least in the UK) and those Muslim teenagers that you're so worried about understand this and appreciate the fact that they live in the UK. They most likely don't hold the same beliefs as their parents, due to living in a far more culturally (is that a word) diverse country, and understand that there are people who are not Muslim and don't fast. It feels like you're making them out to be orthodox followers of Shariah Law who casually carry around battle axes to kill those who aren't the same as them. Personally, I feel you're overreacting. You said your parents are fine with it, so just pull that sentence out if they begin to bug you and they will probably piss off somewhere else. If you have your parents 'blessings' they won't care.

Didn't you also say that some of them pretend to fast? Or did I read that incorrectly? Either way the best option is to say that you're not fasting because you're just not. You're atheist or whatever, or you don't want to fast this year. If it bothers you that much (which I really don't understand) tell them to mind their own business. It takes a bit of confidence to tell people that but if they have some amount of common sense they will understand.

And that whole execution thing (forgive me as I did not fully read the entire thing, just skimmed through the first couple of lines) is a very old way of thinking. You shouldn't use something like that to justify why you're worried. A lot of Muslims in the UK don't hold that same belief.

Okay, bit of a rant but honestly it's not that deep. Most you will deal with is somebody being judgy, like a typical human being.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 3, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.