Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

fun (or not) facts you know Watch

ReputationRep:
    Dolphins sleep with one eye open

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by longshot100)
    There is a gene called the Sonic Hedgehog gene, named after the blue blur himself.
    The inhibitor of this gene is known as Robotnikin (due to Dr Robotnik)
    There's also a chemical named after Pikachu.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leafcannon)
    There's also a chemical named after Pikachu.
    No way?! I'm definitely gonna look this up sometime!

ReputationRep:
    Quickly found out that a gene that may be the "master switch" to causing cancer was originally named Pokemon, but Pokemon tried to sue, because of the bad press it'd give them to be associated with the cancer causing gene, so it got renamed.

ReputationRep:
    if you cut a worm in half it forms two new worms.... one female and one male

:parrot:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    Siamese cats' fur changes color based on temperature.
    thats so cool!

(Original post by yoda123)
    Hedgehogs can run a top speed of 4mph
    i love hedgehogs!

(Original post by yoda123)
    One of the most common places to find koalas in Australia these days is in the hospital.There are "koala wards" - and they are pretty much full all-year round. It is spread through sexual contact. Also don't let a koala pee on you
    1. why are they in hospitals specifically, why not another building
    2. why are people touching koalas sexually?!
    3. because of the chlamidya or a different reason?

(Original post by offhegoes)
    Consider a glass of water. The odds are that almost all of that water has previously been drunk by a dinosaur.
    i knew this one

(Original post by Sabertooth)
    All cheetahs alive today are descended from as few as 7 individuals. They are all so genetically similar that it's possible to give a cheetah a skin graft from another cheetah without the body seeing it as foreign.
    thats cool! does that mean extreme incest?

(Original post by Gaya Ramanathan)
    For anyone who's ever read the saying "The meaning of life is 42" (A Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy). The reason behind this is that shi = 4 and ni = 2 in Japanese. Shini = death in Japanese (also why in death note you have Shinigamis, gods of death). So literally the meaning of life is death.
    sounds about right considering

Facebook creates a computerized mask of your face every time you tag someone's face. It then becomes easier to automatically find you using facial recognition software.

TL;DR- Facebook is literally making a facebook
    bit creepy!

ReputationRep:
    Quickly found out that a gene that may be the "master switch" to causing cancer was originally named Pokemon, but Pokemon tried to sue, because of the bad press it'd give them to be associated with the cancer causing gene, so it got renamed.
    I remember hearing about that in a YouTube video I watched (maybe in the same video where I heard about the Pikachu chemical).

Also, I found the wikipedia page for the Pikachu chemical: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pikachurin

ReputationRep:
    I remember hearing about that in a YouTube video I watched (maybe in the same video where I heard about the Pikachu chemical).

Also, I found the wikipedia page for the Pikachu chemical: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pikachurin
    Thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    There is a gene called the Sonic Hedgehog gene, named after the blue blur himself.
    The inhibitor of this gene is known as Robotnikin (due to Dr Robotnik)
    what does the gene cause?

(Original post by PobNotBob)
    Before the potato the Irish diet was very milky. They would drink milk and butter milk, there was fresh curds and 'real curds' and whey mixed with water to make a sour drink. Then there was butter lots of butter, flavored with onions or garlic or people even buried it in bogs to give it a boggy flavor.
    that is disgusting
    that actually sounds so good! might give it a try tbh

i once knew a girl who flavoured it with paprika, actually quite nice
    (Original post by CleverSquirrel)
    Dolphins sleep with one eye open
    knew this too

thats so cool!
    what is it now renamed?

(Original post by the bear)

is it actually true though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawtyb)

is it actually true though?
    :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    :dontknow:
    very very curious...hmmm

ReputationRep:
    Anyway, as for the main thread:

You can count past infinity. Many, many times.

ReputationRep:

how?

ReputationRep:
    what does the gene cause?
    The protein that it causes to be synthesized is responsible for organ development and specialization in the embryo, depending on the concentration of it.

In the adult it controls cell divisions and stem cell usage, so it can also go overboard and cause cancer.

If that didn't make too much sense the TL;DR is:
    Helps organs grow in the embryo
    Cell division control

ReputationRep:

Infinity to the power of infinity, infinity times? :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    ADHD medications are actually illegal stimulants. Elvanse/Vivanse for example, is lisdexamphetamine. It gets hydrolised to dexamphetamine (speed) in the body.

The Finns consider the mushroom Gyromitra esculenta a delicacy despite it's potentially deadly toxic effects.

ReputationRep:

Some worms can be cut into 20 pieces and make all new worms. Some can't it all depends on the type and where they are cut.

ReputationRep:
    how?

SUMMARY AS YOU PROBABLY DON'T WANT TO WATCH A 23 MINUTE VIDEO: You can't say infinity+1 in reference to how many things there are, but you can say infinity+1 in reference to the position of a thing (like 1st, 2nd, 3rd). You can keep on doing this until you run out of notation (infinity x infinity x infinity... th). That is the next number in regards to the amount of things after infinity. Repeat to reach bigger numbers.

Of course, applications may be a problem as the universe will never be infinite.

ReputationRep:
    if you come across a worm which has been cut in half you can just sellotape it back together... within 48 hours it will be as good as new.

ReputationRep:

SUMMARY AS YOU PROBABLY DON'T WANT TO WATCH A 23 MINUTE VIDEO: You can't say infinity+1 in reference to how many things there are, but you can say infinity+1 in reference to the position of a thing (like 1st, 2nd, 3rd). You can keep on doing this until you run out of notation (infinity x infinity x infinity... th). That is the next number in regards to the amount of things after infinity. Repeat to reach bigger numbers.

Of course, applications may be a problem as the universe will never be infinite.
    Reminds me of that hotel rooms puzzle.

A hotel has infinite rooms. A couch full of infinite guests arrive and they are each allocated a room.

A second coach full of infinite guests arrives. How can you give them each a room?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.