Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My boyfriend drinks too much Watch

(Original post by Maker)
    Your bf is an alcoholic, there is no way around it. But he can stop drinking if he wants to. I know someone who has been sober for 6 years after years of drinking and the doctor telling him his liver was failing.

There are loads of people under 25 who have serious liver disease and die through excessive drinking. Your bf needs to seek treatment from the Alcoholics Anonymous ASAP.
    He's not dependent on alcohol, but I can see how you would think he's an alcoholic. He just drinks when with friends so it's more of a social thing than anything. He has, however, made plans to go out on Thursday which isn't a good sign as he said he'll try change

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    He's not dependent on alcohol, but I can see how you would think he's an alcoholic. He just drinks when with friends so it's more of a social thing than anything. He has, however, made plans to go out on Thursday which isn't a good sign as he said he'll try change
    If he drinks to the extent he does not care about his future and puts his relationship with you at risk, then he can't stop and I don't care if you recognise it or not, he is dependent on alcohol.

My friend in AA visited a woman in hospital with end stage liver failure, she was bright yellow from jaundice because her liver was too damaged to remove toxins from her body. She sworn blind she was not an alcoholic despite years of heavy drinking wrecking her health.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say I let him affect my education. I've always took school very seriously and I promised myself I would never let a boy (or anyone) interfere, so that's nothing to worry about.
    That story that you provided, however, worries me because that's actually the age my boyfriend started drinking
    Really? You need to tell his parents ASAP. Its better to let his parents know now than for him to suffer long term consequences. He's addicted and needs to stop drinking all together, not limit his alcohol intake. If he's been doing it since 13 and used to drinking heavily then I like to know what drinking light is.

Update on the situation: I spoke to him again and said I'm having doubts about our relationship. We've been on a break since Monday because I want to figure out my own feelings and focus on exams. So far, it's only been 2 days and I miss him terribly. I'm going to wait it out a bit though, preferably after my history and chemistry exams next week, because I want to see if my feelings change but I honestly can't stand not being with him. He seems upset about the break and I know this as a good friend of mine is friends with my boyfriend's brother who said to her that he's been really quiet ever since. How long should a break usually last? I said to him it might be best until after exams (which will be over in 12 days) but I don't think I can wait that long

Update on the situation: I spoke to him again and said I'm having doubts about our relationship. We've been on a break since Monday because I want to figure out my own feelings and focus on exams. So far, it's only been 2 days and I miss him terribly. I'm going to wait it out a bit though, preferably after my history and chemistry exams next week, because I want to see if my feelings change but I honestly can't stand not being with him. He seems upset about the break and I know this as a good friend of mine is friends with my boyfriend's brother who said to her that he's been really quiet ever since. How long should a break usually last? I said to him it might be best until after exams (which will be over in 12 days) but I don't think I can wait that long
    wait 12 days, if he loves u he will message u, plus ur exams

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 9, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.