Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Poll: EU referendum with THREE questions Watch

• View Poll Results: What type of EU future do you want for the UK?
    FULLY OUT
    45.95%
    Cameron IN (opt out of "ever increasing union")
    25.68%
    FULLY IN
    28.38%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    a) No free movement=/= a closed border, hardly a complex concept but it does seem to be for so many young people.

b)not federal=/= centralised. Last I checked the Scottish parliament existed, the Welsh Assembly existed, Stormont existed and power is being devolved to local governments; at the same time the EU is drawing powers away from national governments towards Brussels, centralisation by definition.

c) you yourself declared it a construct of the 19th century.
    construct of 1700 to 1900 (eg people like Garibali and Bolivar but also bismarck - all 19th century, but can go back as far as 1700).

UK Federalised? You're having a laugh!!! Ha Ha Ha....
    The USA is federalised - a LAW MAKING GOVERNMENT for on AVERAGE EVERY FOR SIX MILLION CITIZENS within the 320 million in the USA (average size of a US state is 6 million).

Even in france its beginning to happen this year:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regions_of_France

You are in denial.

Vote YES to the EU if you want a less centralised UK.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by FredOrJohn)
    construct of 1700 to 1900 (eg people like Garibali and Bolivar but also bismarck - all 19th century, but can go back as far as 1700).

UK Federalised? You're having a laugh!!! Ha Ha Ha....
    The USA is federalised - a LAW MAKING GOVERNMENT for on AVERAGE EVERY FOR SIX MILLION CITIZENS within the 320 million in the USA (average size of a US state is 6 million).

Even in france its beginning to happen this year:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regions_of_France

You are in denial.

Vote YES to the EU if you want a less centralised UK.
    I think you're confused if you think at any point I said the UK is federalised.

Care to tell me what the devolved assemblies are if not a manifestation of power being decentralised? Or how about increasing power for councils? A state does not have to be a federal union to devolve powers, and a [pseudo] federal union can centralise power.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    I think you're confused if you think at any point I said the UK is federalised.

Care to tell me what the devolved assemblies are if not a manifestation of power being decentralised? Or how about increasing power for councils? A state does not have to be a federal union to devolve powers, and a [pseudo] federal union can centralise power.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Playing at the edges.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.