Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why are old people allowed to vote on the EU referendum? Watch

ReputationRep:
    To be fair, if prisoners are allowed to vote then so should elderly people. Also if we were to ban elderly people voting, what would be the cut off age and why? If we start excluding people from voting, then where will it stop?

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bullseye1)
    To be fair, if prisoners are allowed to vote then so should elderly people. Also if we were to ban elderly people voting, what would be the cut off age and why? If we start excluding people from voting, then where will it stop?
    We already do exclude people from voting… you have to be eligible to get a vote

ReputationRep:
    I do think you have a point, at least they should allow 16-17 year olds to vote on these matters as well because in long term, we will be most affected by the decision. Also, older people have a higher voter turnout than the younger generations so they likely will decide a lot of the result despite it not effecting them as much in long term. But, I do think it's important that the elderly vote, they've contributed to the economy all their life and deserve to be treated well as a result. I just think 16-17 year olds should be able to vote too, here in Scotland 16-17 year olds are entitled to vote and many from my school were talking about politics, taking an interest in the elections this year and people were actually taking voting seriously. We must stop undermining our intelligence as an age group, there are idiots in every age group.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrianMcEgg)
    We already do exclude people from voting… you have to be eligible to get a vote
    Yes I know that, we have those rules in place for a reason, but my point is if prisoners can vote then elderly people should be able to as well.

ReputationRep:
    Is this a valid question (in your eyes) you are asking, or did you ask it just to wind people up.

ReputationRep:
    over the course of this countries history millions of people have fought and died so that people have had the right to vote. It has been a long stto vote as soon as they turn 18. To suggest that this would be restricted is absurd, anti democratic and frankly if that was ever implemented (which it wont be) the only thing left for this fine democracy of ours would be civil war.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.