Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    I was crap enough to miss out on FDM's programme :lol: besides, I ended up learning a lot of things in my spare time just to get a job even if it didn't suit me at the end
    What kinds of things did you end up learning and what kind of job did it help you get?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sammie07)
    What kinds of things did you end up learning and what kind of job did it help you get?
    I improved my options by learning web technologies and scripting commands. Although I did keep in touch with my programming skills too. I managed to get a job for three months. It turned out not to be suitable because the program they were marketing was written in an outdated language. Not good for career progression

ReputationRep:
    I've been a graduate for three years I have a job (finally) and honestly really enjoy it, but I'm beginning to look elsewhere now because of a lack of money. Can you even handle the epicness?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    I improved my options by learning web technologies and scripting commands. Although I did keep in touch with my programming skills too. I managed to get a job for three months. It turned out not to be suitable because the program they were marketing was written in an outdated language. Not good for career progression
    was you degree a compsci one or did you leanr yourself? If you don't mind me asking but how did you find that job and was there an aspect of a technical test in the interview stage?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sammie07)
    was you degree a compsci one or did you leanr yourself? If you don't mind me asking but how did you find that job and was there an aspect of a technical test in the interview stage?
    Yep, my degree was in computer science. The job? Well, it being the complete software developer role with responsibility for every stage of the development life cycle was too much too soon for someone like me with only technical skills to show and questionable client-facing conduct. I'm finding myself a more "behind-the-scenes" role now.
    Most entry-level IT job interviews also feature a written coding test to show your technical skills. That I find easy.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.