Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSnazzyMan)
    Does London IB use the EDGAR database for gathering information? Or is there some equivalent in this area?
    factset

ReputationRep:
    bump for the incomings

ReputationRep:
    any specific excel commands/shortcuts/formulas you use a lot or i should pick up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by makrxx)
    any specific excel commands/shortcuts/formulas you use a lot or i should pick up?
    formatting ones would be useful and powepoint alignments - set quick short cuts for cumbersome ones such as grouping

ReputationRep:
    you mentioned you knew vba. how did you learn it? i go cass btw, did you attend classes at cass or just youtube it? any recommended resources?

also just a quick random query; whats your thoughts on industrial placements? i know you can't get into ibd with them (ibd is something that doesn't interest me) but are they a worthy back-up to summers assuming fast tracks from springs doesn't happen? (if it helps I want to get into equity research)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ozilll)
    you mentioned you knew vba. how did you learn it? i go cass btw, did you attend classes at cass or just youtube it? any recommended resources?

also just a quick random query; whats your thoughts on industrial placements? i know you can't get into ibd with them (ibd is something that doesn't interest me) but are they a worthy back-up to summers assuming fast tracks from springs doesn't happen? (if it helps I want to get into equity research)
    I will chip in...

I did a Summer Internship (June - August) then a Placement (September - August) then got a grad job somewhere else haha in IBD.

My advice would be to try and get as much experience as possible and therefore, maybe try and do both if the dates work. Most people do it the other way round, they do a Placement (June - May) and then a Summer (June - August).

GS does ER Placements, you should absolutely go for it. I would apply mainly for Summers and then throw in a few Placement applications and see what happens. I never intended to do a Placement, it just worked out that way. In fact, I applied all for Summers and just one Placement - and got both.

I also know a guy who did a Placement at CS in some Consulting type division (CFO Services or something) and he got transferred to ER for full-time there. So anything is possible, the key is to be flexible and take any opportunities given to you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Commercial Paper)
    I will chip in...

I did a Summer Internship (June - August) then a Placement (September - August) then got a grad job somewhere else haha in IBD.

My advice would be to try and get as much experience as possible and therefore, maybe try and do both if the dates work. Most people do it the other way round, they do a Placement (June - May) and then a Summer (June - August).

GS does ER Placements, you should absolutely go for it. I would apply mainly for Summers and then throw in a few Placement applications and see what happens. I never intended to do a Placement, it just worked out that way. In fact, I applied all for Summers and just one Placement - and got both.

I also know a guy who did a Placement at CS in some Consulting type division (CFO Services or something) and he got transferred to ER for full-time there. So anything is possible, the key is to be flexible and take any opportunities given to you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Cheers Bro. Seems like you've been all over the block

Btw if you were to do a placement then a corresponding summer, how would you be able to do your interviews/ACs for summer - you'd be working?

And do you know if GS does fast track to a FT job or just to summer?

ReputationRep:
    Cheers Bro. Seems like you've been all over the block

Btw if you were to do a placement then a corresponding summer, how would you be able to do your interviews/ACs for summer - you'd be working?

And do you know if GS does fast track to a FT job or just to summer?
    Well I never found myself in that problem so I'm not sure! I think the general consensus is to sneak into meeting rooms or outside for telephone interviews or get time off for assessment centres etc. There is no easy way round that problem.

If you do a Placement at GS, you'll potentially be extended an FT offer. If you do a Summer, you'll potentially be extended an FT offer. If you do a Spring Week, you'll potentially be fast-tracked to Summer (although I assume you could do Placement too) but not FT.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

in answering your first question, i had a first year module on it, and given i was interested i youtubed most of the functionality. it's like learning a language, learn the words, sentences and you can play about with it and start building useful codes to automate small tasks. can't remember specific names but youtubing around for beginner level guides should be useful.

Commercial Paper has extensive experience in answeing your second question, so will leave that with him

ReputationRep:
    A bit of topic, but since you have good finance knowledge, I wanted to ask you something. Im currently building DCF and adjusting for non-cash expenses. Is an actuarial loss (gain) a non-cash expense?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by glebp)
    A bit of topic, but since you have good finance knowledge, I wanted to ask you something. Im currently building DCF and adjusting for non-cash expenses. Is an actuarial loss (gain) a non-cash expense?
    Non-cash

Be careful about cash though as it can include other securities that are IAS 7 compliant (stable value and less than 3 month maturity) as 'cash equivalents' and there can be some non-cash items in the cash flow as a result (namely revaluation).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glebp)
    yeah, you can strip it out.

if its a material component of your valuation however, you can account for payouts by adding a seperate line item to adjust, or valuing PV of pension liabilities as a whole and deducting it from your EV.. makes no computational difference how you do it, if you use the same assumptions.

again, this depends on your judgment on how material the effect is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by natninja)
    Non-cash

Be careful about cash though as it can include other securities that are IAS 7 compliant (stable value and less than 3 month maturity) as 'cash equivalents' and there can be some non-cash items in the cash flow as a result (namely revaluation).
    (Original post by gr8wizard10)
    yeah, you can strip it out.

if its a material component of your valuation however, you can account for payouts by adding a seperate line item to adjust, or valuing PV of pension liabilities as a whole and deducting it from your EV.. makes no computational difference how you do it, if you use the same assumptions.

again, this depends on your judgment on how material the effect is.

Thank you for the informative replies!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by glebp)
    Thank you for the informative replies!
    Also, if it's an insurance company, a DCF model is probably not appropriate

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 23, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.