Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonathanemptage)
    I didn't go to Eton whatever gave you that idea :confused:
    I was referring to Gove and his ilk.

Although the point still stands about you feeling you know better than educational professionals who should really be the ones deciding on how to improve education.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    2/ Modern Languages why why why should I have to do one of these (for GCSE it was law when i did GCSE's many years ago) if I'm going to another country I'll learn the language but the stuff we learn in school is pretty useless maybe we should actually be taught how to converse inn the language rather than all the grammar rubbish.
    I know I may seem biased as a languages student, but I disagree with your point. The UK has a pretty bad reputation with language learning in comparison to other countries, and something needs to be done to change it because learning languages is so important. Outside of the UK, it is not true that everyone speaks English. Yes, in many tourist areas/big cities you travel to, many workers will have some knowledge of English, but what if you want to visit more remote/exotic locations? In these kinds of places you'll find that English isn't so widely spoken.

Also, this "grammar rubbish" you talk about... It's not "rubbish", it's a vital part of learning the language. I know learning grammar rules may seem monotonous, but it's fundamental for accurate communication. If you don't know grammatical rules, how will you conjugate verbs, and how will you know what tense to speak in? Grammar is far more important to communication than you seem to be making out. You can't just learn loads of random words and expect to converse with them; you need the grammar to string coherent sentences together.

By no means do I think languages GCSEs are perfect, but we cannot just abolish them because of that; we need to reform the system slightly. Languages need to be taught from a younger age, and then by the time people get to GCSE there'd be more of an emphasis on culture and real-life spontaneous communication (which is what I loved about A-Level). At the moment people haven't been learning languages for very long when they start GCSE, so there has to be a focus on grammar before anything else, since it forms the basics of communication. And with only two or three hours a week in GCSE languages classes, there isn't very much time to learn about culture in-depth alongside this (e.g. via literature and film). So I think the content of GCSE languages classes stems from the fact that in the UK we don't learn languages from a young age, and as a result the GCSE courses are tailored towards those who are just starting out with the basics in the language.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elivercury)
    I was referring to Gove and his ilk.

Although the point still stands about you feeling you know better than educational professionals who should really be the ones deciding on how to improve education.
    I never said I knew better I was putting forward ideas for a complete overhaul it's not completely invalid what I say. you can't deny that changes do need to be made surely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dougieowner)
    I know I may seem biased as a languages student, but I disagree with your point. The UK has a pretty bad reputation with language learning in comparison to other countries, and something needs to be done to change it because learning languages is so important. Outside of the UK, it is not true that everyone speaks English. Yes, in many tourist areas/big cities you travel to, many workers will have some knowledge of English, but what if you want to visit more remote/exotic locations? In these kinds of places you'll find that English isn't so widely spoken.

Also, this "grammar rubbish" you talk about... It's not "rubbish", it's a vital part of learning the language. I know learning grammar rules may seem monotonous, but it's fundamental for accurate communication. If you don't know grammatical rules, how will you conjugate verbs, and how will you know what tense to speak in? Grammar is far more important to communication than you seem to be making out. You can't just learn loads of random words and expect to converse with them; you need the grammar to string coherent sentences together.

By no means do I think languages GCSEs are perfect, but we cannot just abolish them because of that; we need to reform the system slightly. Languages need to be taught from a younger age, and then by the time people get to GCSE there'd be more of an emphasis on culture and real-life spontaneous communication (which is what I loved about A-Level). At the moment people haven't been learning languages for very long when they start GCSE, so there has to be a focus on grammar before anything else, since it forms the basics of communication. And with only two or three hours a week in GCSE languages classes, there isn't very much time to learn about culture in-depth alongside this (e.g. via literature and film). So I think the content of GCSE languages classes stems from the fact that in the UK we don't learn languages from a young age, and as a result the GCSE courses are tailored towards those who are just starting out with the basics in the language.
    It should be made optional for GCSE or give more options instead of just French or German give us Spanish or Japanese or Italian not just one to two which I can't see myself ever needing (German not French).

and realistic examples when am I ever going to need to say where is my uncles pencil in French I may also be biased as an engineer most engineering courses in the EU are taught in english because english is used in C for micro processors and is the standard language used in engineering over the world.

ReputationRep:
    I never said I knew better I was putting forward ideas for a complete overhaul it's not completely invalid what I say. you can't deny that changes do need to be made surely.
    Sure, not everything you say is invalid, and I personally agree with a lot of it. I am not an educational professional with years of experience though, so what seems sensible to you and I may actually not be a good idea in reality (although I'd argue what the government was putting in place didn't seem like a good idea to anybody).

Change almost certainly needs to happen, but slowly, not via an overhaul. Ultimately teachers knowing what they are doing/teaching is more important than exactly what format it takes - it is likely better they teach an inferior curriculum well than a superior curriculum poorly. Likewise there should really be a decent period of consultation, rather than knee-jerk responses.

Granted this is all moot as it isn't like the government listens or cares.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elivercury)
    Sure, not everything you say is invalid, and I personally agree with a lot of it. I am not an educational professional with years of experience though, so what seems sensible to you and I may actually not be a good idea in reality (although I'd argue what the government was putting in place didn't seem like a good idea to anybody).

Change almost certainly needs to happen, but slowly, not via an overhaul. Ultimately teachers knowing what they are doing/teaching is more important than exactly what format it takes - it is likely better they teach an inferior curriculum well than a superior curriculum poorly. Likewise there should really be a decent period of consultation, rather than knee-jerk responses.

Granted this is all moot as it isn't like the government listens or cares.
    I know they should though they might learn something.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.