Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How much is/do you reckon your total student debt will be? Watch

• View Poll Results: what is/do you think your student debt will be?
    0-10k
    5.62%
    10-20k
    3.37%
    20-30k
    13.48%
    30-40k
    21.35%
    40k and above
    56.18%

ReputationRep:
    around 60k (9k tuition loan + 5k maintenance over 4 year degree) probably more as tuition fees are going to be rising every year from now.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by lyrical_lie)
    Yea, I lived at home and worked 1 day 2 nights in a call centre so I was earning £600ish from that job plus I had worked full time during summer so I had saved up quite a bit. I only paid £160 in digs to my mum and that included my phone bill. Plus I got my bursary, being from a "broken home" it was pretty good, couple hundred a month.
    Sounds like you did pretty well for yourself at uni

ReputationRep:
    If I go abroad- Either no debt at all if I have enough savings or £11k

If I go to uni here- Well over £45k

ReputationRep:
    If I had to go to university facing the current fees, I would definitely opt for another country like Sweden where I would only have to worry about funding my living costs.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by MrsSheldonCooper)
    If I go abroad- Either no debt at all if I have enough savings or £11k

If I go to uni here- Well over £45k
    Are you wanting to go to a country which has no tuition fees then?

(Original post by Elivercury)
    If I had to go to university facing the current fees, I would definitely opt for another country like Sweden where I would only have to worry about funding my living costs.
    But would you be happy relocating that far to save the money?

ReputationRep:
    9k tuition x 4 (fifth year nhs bursary) + 7k x 5 = 71k

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)

Definitely. I spent 5 months there as part of my course and it was a fantastic place to live.

Incidentally, most students end up living several hours from their homes for university anyway, so the only real difference is that you're taking a flight rather than the train.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Definitely. I spent 5 months there as part of my course and it was a fantastic place to live.

Incidentally, most students end up living several hours from their homes for university anyway, so the only real difference is that you're taking a flight rather than the train.
    I suppose when you look at it that way, the only thing for me is in utter emergencies i could always find a way back to where my family live, if flights stopped getting back from sweden could be near impossible.

ReputationRep:

The uni I'm probably going to charges £1300 a year so not too bad.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by MrsSheldonCooper)
    The uni I'm probably going to charges £1300 a year so not too bad.
    Now that is pretty cheap

ReputationRep:
    I just finished my course that I started in September 2013 and for 3 years I had a tuition fee loan of £9,000 and a maintenance loan of roughly £4,000 so that's £39.000 for the 3 years
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Last time I checked (and by checked I mean "got a letter saying how much I owe") it was just over £22,000 and rising fast with interest. I'm not going to start paying it off any time soon, either, as I'm still a student for another three years or so.

ReputationRep:
    I suppose when you look at it that way, the only thing for me is in utter emergencies i could always find a way back to where my family live, if flights stopped getting back from sweden could be near impossible.
    I mean how often have flights been completely grounded in the past decade? The Iceland volcano eruption is the only one I can think of. The odds of that happening at the same time you have a family emergency are tiny.

Frankly, you're much more likely for the trains to shut down in this country! Of course you would still have planes/buses as backups (not to mention driving).

There are also ferries available from Sweden to UK, it's just not as convenient.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    I mean how often have flights been completely grounded in the past decade? The Iceland volcano eruption is the only one I can think of. The odds of that happening at the same time you have a family emergency are tiny.

Frankly, you're much more likely for the trains to shut down in this country! Of course you would still have planes/buses as backups (not to mention driving).

There are also ferries available from Sweden to UK, it's just not as convenient.
    Bad things have a habit of happening to my family, worst case scenario i could cycle back to them if all else fails but even when flights are just delayed if someones ended up in hospital, it'd be time you don't really have to play with. But otherwise i can see the advantages of studying abroad.

ReputationRep:
    Easily £40K +.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    £41k if I don't do a year abroad, £46.75k if I do.

Not fussed, just a grad tax really..

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Bad things have a habit of happening to my family, worst case scenario i could cycle back to them if all else fails but even when flights are just delayed if someones ended up in hospital, it'd be time you don't really have to play with. But otherwise i can see the advantages of studying abroad.
    Obviously not an option for everyone and some people need to go to local universities for family and other reasons. However if you are already weighing up a university which is 2-4 hours away from your parent's home, living in another country isn't significantly different.

£51,600 if I do the BSc, three years

£68,800 if I do the MSci, four years

ReputationRep:
    9k tuition (1 year) + 3 years of max maintenance loan 3k for ease of calculation x3= 9k so around 18k in total.

I'm quite fortunate in that my grandparents paid for my tuition fees in 2nd and 3rd year.

That said this is prior to taking out the PG loan

ReputationRep:
    i'd hope to pay mine off as i do it
    but in total that figure could be $130,000 (without haggling)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.