The Student Room Group

There is one thing I hate about vegans...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by greatguy 696
You are stupid and I don't like you.

God, I hope your vegan!
Original post by JavaScriptMaster
God, I hope your vegan!

Why?
I know one vegan friend who uses cancer against people you have had relatives die from cancer (dark I know) and uses that to try and convert people... There must be a line drawn at some point...
Original post by Rhythmical
they have this annoying manner of preaching their beliefs upon others and basically making me feel guilty for eating meat, it's my choice and you can't expect everyone to go vegan. One day I will go vegan to see what it is like but whenever I eat something or the topic of food comes up, my friend, who is vegan likes to point out what is wrong with not being vegan, despite actually saying that they 'aren't the preaching type,'

I know not all vegans are like that but please DON'T make me or anyone guilty for eating meat, it pisses me off. The guilt rides inside me and I feel bad for eating meat and dairy products but I can't commit to veganism 100%, I need the iron. :cry2:

Rant over, anyone else felt this way? And please no comments about 'I feel the same way about Islam/Muslims'.

And I am not generalising in any way, these are simply people I know.

I'm not trying to be mean, but I do not see how vegans 'advocating' their views about the meat, and diary industry, is any different than any meat, and diary eaters imposing their views onto animals - who have no say in the matter.
I appreciate the fact that you are willing to commit to veganism, and I hope one day you do make the change, because you feel different; there are multiple advantages for turning vegan. But, the fact is, there are people who are unaware of the industries they buy into, and people need to speak up for the animals, who have no voice, and the planet.
Funnily enough, I was having a conversation with a friend yesterday, who tried to degrade for being a vegan, and making the choice I made, because "Plants have feelings too." In my experience, meat eaters torment vegans just as much...
*NOT trying to be rude, or mean, I just wanted to voice my opinions* :smile:
Original post by Holly.Hodgson99
I'm not trying to be mean, but I do not see how vegans 'advocating' their views about the meat, and diary industry, is any different than any meat, and diary eaters imposing their views onto animals - who have no say in the matter.
I appreciate the fact that you are willing to commit to veganism, and I hope one day you do make the change, because you feel different; there are multiple advantages for turning vegan. But, the fact is, there are people who are unaware of the industries they buy into, and people need to speak up for the animals, who have no voice, and the planet.
Funnily enough, I was having a conversation with a friend yesterday, who tried to degrade for being a vegan, and making the choice I made, because "Plants have feelings too." In my experience, meat eaters torment vegans just as much...
*NOT trying to be rude, or mean, I just wanted to voice my opinions* :smile:

I totally get where you are coming from and respect your views, I suppose what I wanted to convey was that the vegans I know seemed to uphold this theory that they are 'better than meat eaters' because they abstain from eating meat and are saving the planet, it's in no way a generalisation but rather those who I know personally that act like this. It's more of a 'guilt thing' where vegans will often make myself and other meat eaters feel guilty for their belief more so than anything.
I hate it when the Youtube famous vegans *cough cough Banana Girl* dedicate 15 minute long videos which insult other people on Youtube for eating eggs (aka "chicken period":wink: and cheese (aka "puss":wink:. Fair enough, it may not be completely ethical to be consuming these products but at the end of the day, its not the consumers who harm the animals, it is the people who slaughter them in the first place! Surely it would be more productive to try and get this message across to the people who are actually killing the animals in an inhumane way rather than the people who eat it once it is on the shelf. Whether somebody eats the animal products or not, they will still be there on the shelves dead. If they're not bought and eaten, they'll be thrown in the bin.
However, I completely understand why people choose to go vegan for health reasons and believe the industry is unethical, but I can't stand those who do it to 'save the animals' and accuse non-vegans of being murderers when in actual fact, its the slaughter-houses where the murdering is happening.

Oh and btw, this is coming from a vegan.
(edited 7 years ago)
... I feel bad for eating meat and dairy products but I can't commit to veganism 100%, I need the iron. :cry2:

I missed this bit in your post. Hopefully I can ask this without coming across as a troll but: is this a joke?

I would need to establish that first before addressing the absurdity of your statement.
Original post by cheesus Toaster
I missed this bit in your post. Hopefully I can ask this without coming across as a troll but: is this a joke?

I would need to establish that first before addressing the absurdity of your statement.

No.. why would it be a joke for? A lot of people I know were vegans but then had to stop because of the low iron count, it's a perfectly reasonable decision to make if your body can't handle it.

Troll alert.

Omg that dog is so cute and yet so lonely, oh what is life anymore. :cry2:

Bet if somebody killed and ate that dog you would be crying how evil they are.
Original post by greatguy 696
Bet if somebody killed and ate that dog you would be crying how evil they are.

I think the mods are having a slow day, you aren't banned yet.
Reply 50
Has anyone seen that one tumblr post of a vegan giving their dog non-meat food?? They claimed that the dog is "happy" with it, but in the picture it's clearly malnourished. Like how can they justify giving their dog a vegan diet? They claim that being anything other than vegan is to indirectly support animal cruelty??? But in the process they're directly inflicting cruelty to an animal???? :s-smilie: (x)
I think the mods are having a slow day, you aren't banned yet.

Mad I am using rationality to show you up as a hypocrite?
Original post by Arima
Has anyone seen that one tumblr post of a vegan giving their dog non-meat food?? They claimed that the dog is "happy" with it, but in the picture it's clearly malnourished. Like how can they justify giving their dog a vegan diet? They claim that being anything other than vegan is to indirectly support animal cruelty??? But in the process they're directly inflicting cruelty to an animal???? :s-smilie: (x)

No can you post the link?
I think what frustrates vegans so much, is that we can see people eating meat/dairy constantly around us, some of whom are fully aware of the damage they are causing, and being completely apathetic about it. It's understandable that people don't like being 'guilt tripped' have you explained this to your friends? But also, coming from a vegan perspective, it can be saddening seeing people close to you contributing to something you are so strongly against, and then coming up with excuses like 'i need protein/insert any vitamin/mineral' or 'plants have feelings' when it's been proven time and time again that the vegan diet gives you everything you need. (and the plants have feelings one is just silly)
No.. why would it be a joke for? A lot of people I know were vegans but then had to stop because of the low iron count, it's a perfectly reasonable decision to make if your body can't handle it.

Troll alert.

No need for the troll alert - I don't think you are being a troll. I simply think you are a little misinformed.

All people require iron - it is a vital part of the diet of mammals. The reason why animal flesh has iron in it is because the animal (that was maybe murdered for meat) consumed sources of iron before its demise. In that way iron gets into the body

As an analogy - say for example someone wanted money they could:

a. Get a job and earn money.
b. Burgle the houses in their street.

One of those is legal and one is not.

It is legal to eat your fellow biological organisms to get iron. You could eat your next door neighbor as well - they would provide you with a good source of iron (that is however illegal because humans clearly put more value in their own lives than those of other animals). Alternately you could study up on how to get iron as a vegan (if it really needs studying at all).
(edited 7 years ago)
No need for the troll alert - I don't think you are being a troll. I simply think you are little misinformed.

All people require iron - it is a vital part of the diet of mammals. The reason why animal flesh has iron in it is because the animal (that was maybe murdered for meat) consume sources of iron. In that way iron gets into the body

It is legal to eat your fellow biological organisms to get iron. You could eat your next door neighbor as well - they would provide you with a good source of iron. Alternately you could study up on how to get iron as a vegan (if it really needs studying at all).

Cafeful there. Don't bring rationlity to the table when there are smelly meat eaters sitting around it. It messes with their head.
No need for the troll alert - I don't think you are being a troll. I simply think you are little misinformed.

All people require iron - it is a vital part of the diet of mammals. The reason why animal flesh has iron in it is because the animal (that was maybe murdered for meat) consume sources of iron. In that way iron gets into the body

It is legal to eat your fellow biological organisms to get iron. You could eat your next door neighbor as well - they would provide you with a good source of iron (that is however illegal because humans clearly put more value in their own lives than those of other animals). Alternately you could study up on how to get iron as a vegan (if it really needs studying at all).

Fair enough, I'm actually anaemic so need more iron than an average person, supplements aren't ever enough and I don't like spinach or broccoli (occasionally I eat it) and all sorts so a lot of my iron comes from meat or say eggs for example.
Reply 57
Fair enough, I'm actually anaemic so need more iron than an average person, supplements aren't ever enough and I don't like spinach or broccoli (occasionally I eat it) and all sorts so a lot of my iron comes from meat or say eggs for example.

That's fair enough, we all have our likes and dislikes.

Animals, for instance, aren't really big on being eaten :wink:
Look at this thread and you'll see some meat eaters are exactly the same:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4146325

A girl wanted advice and meat eaters were immediately calling out vegans for being preachy or something else...

That being said, you say you have an interest in veganism so don't let the attitude of others put you off your decisions. Whatever you do in life there will be somebody somewhere who isn't happy about it. You can't please everyone.
Original post by greatguy 695
One thing I hate about meat eaters is that they are murderers

Lamb and veal always taste better when you slaughter the animal yourself.

Quick Reply

Latest