Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Vote on the future of the Model European Union Watch

• View Poll Results: How should this subforum be used in the future?
    Form a Model European Union
    41.38%
    Close down the subforum, archiving it as a record of the Model United Nations
    58.62%

• Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    The EU is much much more than just a regulator of businesses.
    That's the main thing the parliament does.
    And everything you could do in the MEU you can do in the MHoC now.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    That's the main thing the parliament does.
    And everything you could do in the MEU you can do in the MHoC now.
    No. The MEU would operate quite differently and there would be many different topics that would be discussed here.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    No. The MEU would operate quite differently and there would be many different topics that would be discussed here.
    You are saying that but you can't give examples...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    In terms of operating, it wouldn't really be that different would it... It's still debating things, the topics I would agree though are slightly different. However, if the sole reason of having the MEU is just because it's different topics, I'd rather just have a sub-forum in the MHoC, where people can send a topic/debate title to the Speaker, and he posts it there... Then there could be a redirect in the International D&CA forum to it... Then we'd still have that debate, as well as redirecting more people to the MHoC (win win), and then if there's enough activity there, I'd then consider relooking at the MEU.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    In terms of operating, it wouldn't really be that different would it... It's still debating things, the topics I would agree though are slightly different. However, if the sole reason of having the MEU is just because it's different topics, I'd rather just have a sub-forum in the MHoC, where people can send a topic/debate title to the Speaker, and he posts it there...
    Yes, but the MHoC mainly deals with UK issues whereas the MEU will deal with international issues. It would be quite confusing if we combined the two.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    You are saying that but you can't give examples...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The MHoC debates UK legislation. The MEU will debate European issues, some of which do not involve the UK at all.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    In terms of operating, it wouldn't really be that different would it... It's still debating things, the topics I would agree though are slightly different. However, if the sole reason of having the MEU is just because it's different topics, I'd rather just have a sub-forum in the MHoC, where people can send a topic/debate title to the Speaker, and he posts it there... Then there could be a redirect in the International D&CA forum to it... Then we'd still have that debate, as well as redirecting more people to the MHoC (win win), and then if there's enough activity there, I'd then consider relooking at the MEU.
    If it's modeling the EU parliament then it wouldn't be different topics at all.
    It'd only be different if it's modeling the council but as they are appointed you instantly loose a lot of realism

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Yes, but the MHoC mainly deals with UK issues whereas the MEU will deal with international issues. It would be quite confusing if we combined the two.
    I don't think so, especially with a sub-forum description... In any case, discussing the different topics is still possible within the International sub-forum. the MEU would operate similar enough to the MHoC that if it's the operations side of things, like voting on Bills etc, that you might as well just use the MHoC for that, and then just debate normally in International forum.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Aph)
    It'd only be different if it's modeling the council but as they are appointed you instantly loose a lot of realism

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeh, I s'pose, but the notion is there isn't it... Anyway, I'm still against the MEU. I feel wrong agreeing with you :rofl:
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    The MHoC debates UK legislation. The MEU will debate European issues, some of which do not involve the UK at all.
    Look at the legislative powers of the EU.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    There would be different topics - see my previous post.

So are you saying that the proportional representation and parties appointing their MPs in the MHoC is what it is like in real life? There are many other ways as to how the MHoC is different from real life. For all these things, there has to be a degree of separation from the real world for both practical and enjoyment reasons.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Yeh, I s'pose, but the notion is there isn't it... Anyway, I'm still against the MEU. I feel wrong agreeing with you :rofl:
    Maybe I should become a tory:awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Aph)
    Maybe I should become a tory:awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Absolutely.

Oh wait, it's me and LP who accept members... maybe not then!
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    There would be different topics - see my previous post.

So are you saying that the proportional representation and parties appointing their MPs in the MHoC is what it is like in real life? There are many other ways as to how the MHoC is different from real life. For all these things, there has to be a degree of separation from the real world for both practical and enjoyment reasons.
    Yes but to have an elected council is weird. And if thats the way you want to go you'll see this go down the same way the MUN did

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Absolutely.

Oh wait, it's me and LP who accept members... maybe not then!
    But I want to follow james:yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Aph)
    But I want to follow james:p:yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeh.... last time I checked, I'm not gullible. Though I was amazed when I found out it wasn't in the dictionary!
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Yeh.... last time I checked, I'm not gullible. Though I was amazed when I found out it wasn't in the dictionary!
    I'm not trying to trick you...
    Gullible is in the dictionary?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Aph)
    I'm not trying to trick you...
    Gullible is in the dictionary?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's not!!

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone,

I hope you're having a nice afternoon!

I know that there are a few people very passionate about continuing the MEU so I think it is worthwhile treating this poll as a 'Who would still like to be involved in the MEU' survey and if there is only 2/3 people interested we can close it.

I do think if there are still a few people up for it and it's a close vote that it's worth keeping and removing those who aren't interested from the quote list so they don't have to be involved anymore and then it's a win win and keeps everyone happy

ReputationRep:
    Nah, I have no interest in the MEU. I have no idea what I would legislate for.. Well apart from federalisation of Europe which abandons the concept of the nation state (80ish states with 5 to 10 million people each), but that's never going to pass.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.