Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Court cases and trials in the UK are so boring though. It's not what you see on American TV shows.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    The only other thing to mention is that there are no set A levels for law. There is a preference to do at least a coupple of the more traditional enabling subjects, but you could do all science, but still apply for law. its the grades that matter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophia.f)

Dentistry is really a good career, it's quite awesome I think. Anyway, I hope this opinion of mine to help you to decide.
    I actually don't understand what's so exciting about Dentistry (apart from the cash ).
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Mrs.Grey)
    So hello everyone, I'm pretty confused.I'm unsure to what career path to take, law or medicine? I enjoy Science and History/English (and the law aspect itself) but could someone give me the pros and cons of both careers. If anyone has been in a similar situation or you have any stories concerning your education or career, please feel free to tell. Thanks in advance.
    There are other careers out there other than these two, have you taken the time to consider them? It just seems like you're following the gravy train of 'traditional path to prosperity' here (maybe its a cultural thing?), and not really aiming for what you want to do personally.

Both are great careers but completely differ from each other and differ in how you become qualified.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zamestaneh)
    Also you may have to represent people who have done horrible crimes and defend them even though you know they are guilty
    Too much TV bro

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by champ_mc99)
    I actually don't understand what's so exciting about Dentistry (apart from the cash ).
    (Original post by champ_mc99)
    Court cases and trials in the UK are so boring though. It's not what you see on American TV shows.
    You're a wise man. Agree with both of these. If you remove the financial aspect from dentistry, I can't think of many things I'd rather do less for a living. As for law, take a walk down the end of fleet street and look how excited all the lawyers appear to be with their jumbo paper suitcases slung over both shoulders.

I'm sure there's exceptions and probably are some genuinely exciting lawyer roles out there, but in reality for the majority of people it's about the money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1011)
    Too much TV bro
    lol

DibbyDabby Reachin4TheStars

(Original post by Mrs.Grey)
    So hello everyone, I'm pretty confused.I'm unsure to what career path to take, law or medicine? I enjoy Science and History/English (and the law aspect itself) but could someone give me the pros and cons of both careers. If anyone has been in a similar situation or you have any stories concerning your education or career, please feel free to tell. Thanks in advance.

I'm actually in the same boat as you? My parents are both investment bankers based in Asia right now so they've been egging me on to follow suit? But I want to do things my way? So my dad said that both the medicine and legal professions are dead in the UK. He reads a lot of the newspapers while I don't. Many of his points struck me and I'm still undecided on what I want to do at uni.

I disbelieved him because I never saw anyone on TSR talk about these things and prior to this, I thought that this forum was a good authority for news and information because there were so many qualified doctors and lawyers here. I also thought that the people who are very senior on this forum come across as knowledgeable and I equated all this to mean that they could provide me with reliable information but now I know that its not the case. So I actually went to check if what my dad said was true and I was horrified. I'll just surmise the problems in both professions.

MedicineLegal
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Audrey18)
    DibbyDabby Reachin4TheStars

I'm actually in the same boat as you? My parents are both investment bankers based in Asia right now so they've been egging me on to follow suit? But I want to do things my way? So my dad said that both the medicine and legal professions are dead in the UK. He reads a lot of the newspapers while I don't. Many of his points struck me and I'm still undecided on what I want to do at uni.

I disbelieved him because I never saw anyone on TSR talk about these things and prior to this, I thought that this forum was a good authority for news and information because there were so many qualified doctors and lawyers here. I also thought that the people who are very senior on this forum come across as knowledgeable and I equated all this to mean that they could provide me with reliable information but now I know that its not the case. So I actually went to check if what my dad said was true and I was horrified. I'll just surmise the problems in both professions.

MedicineLegal
    Not true.. You don't need connections to get a training contract

And no, you don't have to do anything. You could decide law practice isn't for you and apply to any other generalist grad scheme or job out there. The paralegal route isn't the only path to take as a law grad nor is it the only one you have to take if you strike out first time for TCs, people start in other grad level jobs and reapply for TCs all the time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    They both are the different fields.If you want to choose medicines then you should have a good knowledge about medicines and medical.There is also a course for this.But,If you want to do law then you should be good at politics and should have qualities like judge and also have a knowledge about courts.To do a law u need to do hard practice as there is tough competition in both the fields.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.