Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gaya Ramanathan)
    Wrong. Schools inherently operate an ideological state apparatus but religious agenda just makes this worse.
    If I was your father, I'd throw away your iPhone, cut you off from the internet and send you to a good gurukula to learn something worthwhile.

ReputationRep:
    Went to a faith school and I loved it.
    Glad more are opening in my area.

ReputationRep:
    Indoctrination really is one of the worst forms of child abuse. Injuries heal and as nasty as molestation is, people can get past it, but with indoctrination it robs you of your critical thinking ability for life. That's humanity's greatest faculty and it's the driver behind science. As a result it's given us everything we have. Taking that gift away from someone is IMO worse than murder.

I think it's about time we abolish faith schools. Religion has no place in the classroom.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hariex)
    In faith secondary schools the underlying assumption is that students will submissively accept any information their teachers are giving them. This is patronising. I have some measure of autonomy over whether I accept the opinions and teachings of my school syllabus and I see no reason why other students shouldn't.

Secondly, no subject is 'unbiased'. History is fraught with personal opinion and value judgement. Did Jesus actually exist? Is there convincing evidence for his resurrection? Was America right to go to war with Vietnam? Political opinion and historical judgement are linked and History has a lot in common with religious studies.

Thirdly, you are simply replacing religious teaching with secularism, which is itself a worldview that can indoctrinate. Students should have the opportunity to understand why a significant minority of religious believers disagree with homosexuality and why 'science' is incompetent at explaining the entirety of human experience. Students ought to study the interplay between conservative views on gender roles and recent feminist movements.

This comes down to good and bad teachers. Good teachers will, within a religious context, seek to fully outline the theology and reasoning behind particular issues, rather than misunderstanding or misrepresenting the opinion. Good teachers will acknowledge the existence of other viewpoints and will assume that their students are capable of researching the issues themselves. If they abuse their authority, that is problematic, but it is not because religious education is the problem.
    If they're going to say things like this they've got a responsibility to point out the flaws and inadequacies in religious models of the universe as well. Did they?

ReputationRep:
    I go to a Catholic school (well not anymore since I'm leaving 6th form next week) but coming from an all girls school to a faith school I noticed a lot of differences, some good and others not so good...

In RE (which was a compulsory lesson each week) I was given a questionnaire questioning homosexuality and I was supposed to tick whether is was immoral or not, the same question for abortion etc.

I wrote sarcastic notes all over the questionnaire and handed it in ()....

I'm fine with going to a faith school, I'm not fine with having to answer whether I believe homosexuality is immoral.

also, there is no Sex ed and apparently condoms send you to hell

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 41b)
    If I was your father, I'd throw away your iPhone, cut you off from the internet and send you to a good gurukula to learn something worthwhile.
    I don't even know what that is and I'm going to assume this is a joke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peroxidation)
    Indoctrination really is one of the worst forms of child abuse. Injuries heal and as nasty as molestation is, people can get past it, but with indoctrination it robs you of your critical thinking ability for life. That's humanity's greatest faculty and it's the driver behind science. As a result it's given us everything we have. Taking that gift away from someone is IMO worse than murder.

I think it's about time we abolish faith schools. Religion has no place in the classroom.
    Completely agree with everything you said

ReputationRep:

I agree with everything you said apart from the bit in bold.

But yes, indoctrination absolutely robs people of their critical thinking!

ReputationRep:
    Unless they teach a strictly secular curriculum, faith schools shouldn't exist.

ReputationRep:
    If they're going to say things like this they've got a responsibility to point out the flaws and inadequacies in religious models of the universe as well. Did they?
    If a faith school refused to teach the flaws and inadequacies in their faith then that is only a problem when students will blindly accept whatever is spoken from the front of the class. For the majority of secondary schools this is not an issue. Secularisation is high amongst young people. My R.S. lessons consisted of crude jokes and faith-ridiculing, illustrating how the opinion of one teacher will not influence the lifestyle choices of their pupils.

Additionally, faith schools want their students to leave their school with respectable qualifications. To access the higher bands in GCSE and A Level students must develop analytical and evaluative arguments, particularly in subjects like Philosophy and Ethics, English Literature and History. Unless faith schools avoid teaching standard qualifications entirely, there is little room for mass indoctrination.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    Close them down.
    Amen to that.

ReputationRep:
    It's worse when they teach Creationism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gaya Ramanathan)
    I don't even know what that is and I'm going to assume this is a joke.
    Keep going the way you are and you'll end up a dirty westernised skank no one will want to marry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 41b)
    Keep going the way you are and you'll end up a dirty westernised skank no one will want to marry.
    You're such a nice guy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reaver Daniels)
    Religion isn't problematic (although an agnostic myself) it is rather certain individuals that practice it that present a problem.
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    It is problematic If it is being taught in such a way that people believe it without question, and if they then see fit to use it as a stick with which to attack others, enforce it upon others, or act like a-holes.
    (Original post by serions871)
    As a Christian, I think it is a good idea to have Christian schools.
    Well you would.
    (Original post by HAnwar)
    Went to a faith school and I loved it.
    Glad more are opening in my area.
    Did you love it specifically because it was a faith school?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 41b)
    "Keep going the way you are"? You don't even know me. I was born in the UK so yeah I'm westernised and that's not a problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    It is problematic If it is being taught in such a way that people believe it without question, and if they then see fit to use it as a stick with which to attack others, enforce it upon others, or act like a-holes.

Well you would.

Did you love it specifically because it was a faith school?
    It was one of the main reasons yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    Unless they teach a strictly secular curriculum, faith schools shouldn't exist.
    So are you suggesting that RE isn't taught? Just because RE is taught, doesn't mean other religions aren't taught.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by horsewithnoname)
    So are you suggesting that RE isn't taught? Just because RE is taught, doesn't mean other religions aren't taught.
    Not if RE is taught through a historical/cultural perspective. It shouldn't start by "our Lord Jesus Christ".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    You're such a nice guy.
    Mind your own business yeah? Go double penetrate some tattooed drug addict (if no other male will partake in your wench of choice, perhaps use a croissant as a substitute, I doubt she'll be able to tell the difference) and write a poem about how liberated you are.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.