Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Mechanics M1 8th June - Unofficial Markscheme W/Explained Answers Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TrueDAN)
    Thanks for the reassurance! Seems like you have got a very high mark, definitely a solid A, well done
    Also, thanks for explaining the impulse one, I know where I have gone wrong in question, I took the velocity as 4ms, for some reason, and so got an acceleration of -1.6ms^2 not -1.225ms^2 oh well.
    I tried my best! Hopefully the grade boundaries will be low and it will convert to lots of UMS! I completely messed up on q7a, I am hoping I can get at least on method mark from putting lambda and beta infront of F2 and R! I am sure you did awesome too, your answers were basically the same as me - and where you went wrong probably equates to the marks that I lost when I went wrong, so I am sure you did great

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by domgreen69)
    left dont you mean?
    Oh yeah, I put that haha

ReputationRep:
    I drew my speed time graph in the blank space on the right between the questions and the lines for the answer. The examiners would see that right...

ReputationRep:
    welll then im ****ed

ReputationRep:
    I dont think you can say bearing of 225 degrees because this assumes that the vertical is the North line. Bearings are only used for vectors because the vector i represents north. This is told to you.
    Correct direction is inclined 45 degrees downwards to the table/horizontal.

ReputationRep:
    For the last question 8 b or whatever. I got the correct answer
    but it said state the direction/bearing of the thing.

I said "45 degrees below the horizontal" <-- is that wrong?
    I saw the examsolutions guy state that in a past paper question further back in my revision.

I don't understand how you get 225 degrees. Anyone care to explain?

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys also for 1(b) p = (400+15t)i + (20t)j
    q = (20t)i + (800-5t)j

I wrote p = 400i + t(20j+15i)
    and for q = 800j + t(20i-5t)

I saw in mark schemes this is sometimes how they write it, it means exact same thing, do you think I will get full marks for this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Assmaster2)
    Hey guys also for 1(b) p = (400+15t)i + (20t)j
    q = (20t)i + (800-5t)j

I wrote p = 400i + t(20j+15i)
    and for q = 800j + t(20i-5t)

I saw in mark schemes this is sometimes how they write it, it means exact same thing, do you think I will get full marks for this?
    Yeh it was only 3 marks and it didn't say in terms of t like it sometimes does so should be fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KidDarkness)
    Yeh it was only 3 marks and it didn't say in terms of t like it sometimes does so should be fine
    Thank you <3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vvlp)
    Ahh yes! Then I used SUVAT:
    s=5
    u=?
    v=0
    a=-1/8

I think I got u=1.11ms^-1 and then worked out mv-mu. To get a value of 3Ns I feel like a value of 1.11 is wrong.
    I got u as 3.5 (I think) and got impulse as 3. Did you get 3Ns for your final answer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TrueDAN)
    Hey all - going to try my best to create a nice markscheme for this one, off memory, so if I struggle, all help is appreciated! I thought it was a standard paper, but tricky in some areas and chucked in some abstract questions - what do you think?!

Thanks to KloppOClock for clarity on each question and for many values provided in the question - insanely good memory!
    I think it was a decent paper, but don't be fooled by it still. It was quite demanding and you could drop marks very easily. 56-62ish for an A? I guess we will see xD
    There was not any pure Suvat Questions (kinematics) which was nice.
    They really wanted to test knowledge on vectors.
    The moments one was a pain because you had to draw it twice for 2 different scenarios.
    The impulse one was abstract.
    The triangular lift one was a standard lift question in disguise.
    The rest was quite standard.
    Please feel free to correct me/ update / provide extra information for certain questions! It is just nice to get some clarity and get a rough idea as to how you have done so you are not worrying over the summer! Thanks

hey thanks for these. its really helpful
    just wondering do you know how many marks each question was, i remember the mu question was 10 marks but thats it..

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vvlp)
    s=5
    u=?
    v=0
    a=-1/8

I think I got u=1.11ms^-1 and then worked out mv-mu. To get a value of 3Ns I feel like a value of 1.11 is wrong.
    Your final impulse is indeed correct BUT yes your value of u is incorrect. it was 3.5

Impulse = m(v-u)
    = 0.4(3.5 - - 4)
    = 0.4(7.5) = 3Ns (Or alternative units are kgms^-1)

ReputationRep:
    Any idea what grade boundaries for a b is? I found this so much harder compared to c1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vvlp)
    s=5
    u=?
    v=0
    a=-1/8

Yes, except a = -g/8 ... I stupidly forgot the g and just put -1/8 , hopefully I'll still get some method marks and marks for working out R. So annoying as looking at the answers of everyone else I think I got 100% other than this mess up. Oh well. Not a bad paper in my view, if not a little strange that Q7 a) was worth 7 marks! Made me think I'd done it wrong because it only took about a 4 lines of working. I am doing M1 as an A2 module though which is probably an advantage as that kind of question is very common in C4.

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please explain why the answer for question 2, part b is not 5.15??

In the example we were given in class, you're meant to ignore the tension in the string, so by the logic we were given it should be:

R - 0.5g = 0.5 x 0.5
    R - 4.9 = 0.25
    R = 5.15N

Then use N3L, so the force is 5.15N....

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...3#post65604913

model answers here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wongsta)
    Any idea what grade boundaries for a b is? I found this so much harder compared to c1
    Around 50ish? Do not worry. This was tougher than usual and more abstract so I expect people will struggle across the country. I think I've got 65/75 in this one but only got 50 in FP1 so we all have a bad test, you'd have done fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raiba)
    welll then im ****ed
    Youre not, most people of tsr will say its easy but thats only a small portion of people. It was quite clearly one of the most difficult papers so its obvious boundaries will be ridiculously low 44 for a C 50 for a B and 56 for an A

ReputationRep:
    For question 5 on inclined plane.... if you work out the wrong value for ''u'', can you still get error carried forward marks if the rest of the method is correct???

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.