Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I have just today chosen my subjects for AS/A-level and am slightly double-minded as to what i should take. At present i have selected Maths and Physics (naturally), then Economics and Psycology (AS, which i will drop; i was initially only taking the first 3 subjects).
    However, another option i have is to take Maths Physics and Chemistry - however i am mostly interested in going into Automotive Engineering.

I'd rather not take Phys MAths Chem /and/ Economics as then i would have a hefty workload, and also im not sure it would be entirely beneficial.

Any pointers?
    Many thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ranaldo)
    Hi
    I have just today chosen my subjects for AS/A-level and am slightly double-minded as to what i should take. At present i have selected Maths and Physics (naturally), then Economics and Psycology (AS, which i will drop; i was initially only taking the first 3 subjects).
    However, another option i have is to take Maths Physics and Chemistry - however i am mostly interested in going into Automotive Engineering.

I'd rather not take Phys MAths Chem /and/ Economics as then i would have a hefty workload, and also im not sure it would be entirely beneficial.

Any pointers?
    Many thanks
    Since you have (as you've pointed out, naturally) Maths and Physics, you should have no problem doing Economics & Psychology alongside it. They're what you want to do, and with the 2 most important subjects there, it will be fine (for even the best Uni's). Chemistry (particularly A2) has a very heavy workload so you're being sensible there!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ranaldo)
    Hi, I have just today chosen my subjects for AS/A-level and am slightly double-minded as to what i should take. At present i have selected Maths and Physics (naturally), then Economics and Psycology (AS, which i will drop; i was initially only taking the first 3 subjects). However, another option i have is to take Maths Physics and Chemistry - however i am mostly interested in going into Automotive Engineering.
    You're prob better off doing Economics than Chemistry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    You're prob better off doing Economics than Chemistry.
    Yeah, it's a hell of a lot easier...

ReputationRep:
    Well it all depends on what sort of engineer you want to be.
    Personally i think you should do maths and Physics for sure.
    This site might help you as it tells you what you need for each type of engineer.
    Job site

ReputationRep:
    Anyone thinking of EEm at oxford

do you think they need an economics a-level?

ReputationRep:
    Do you really have to do A level Maths to do chemical engineering? I think i know a university called notthingham or something which requires only physics and chemistry for chemical engineering? I know i would be at a disadvantage that i didn't chose A level maths, but can't you still do chemical engineering properly?

ReputationRep:
    Ive just started AS Maths, Physics, Eng Lit and German, with a view to doing Auto Eng., or Law.

I hope I made the right choices lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamierwilliams)
    What, in your opinion, is the best combination for engineering?
    im doing maths physics economics and had geography at AS

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    Is Design Technology at a-level really necessary for engineering ? i dont do it for GCSE and i dont really like the idea of doing it for a-level (if im even allowed) because i wasn't too good at drawing/sketching before. If i dont do dt will i struggle at engineering at uni even if im good at maths andphysics?
    thanks
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Zerox)
    Hi
    Is Design Technology at a-level really necessary for engineering ? i dont do it for GCSE and i dont really like the idea of doing it for a-level (if im even allowed) because i wasn't too good at drawing/sketching before. If i dont do dt will i struggle at engineering at uni even if im good at maths andphysics?
    thanks
    Nope, it's not! I don't really know anyone who's done Design Technology to A-level so I wouldn't worry about it. Maths and physics are really the main ones - technical drawing is useful for stuff like civil and structural engineering but even then they teach you it at the university.
    Jenn xx

ReputationRep:
    kk thanks
    but wat about 4 things like MechE (as well)? r u sure u dont even maybe need it to GCSE?
    thanks again

ReputationRep:
    LIke he said, maths and physics are the main subjects. A knowledge of computer would be useful as most drawings get done using CAD programmes but, if needed, they will teach you that at uni.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Devlin)
    LIke he said, maths and physics are the main subjects. A knowledge of computer would be useful as most drawings get done using CAD programmes but, if needed, they will teach you that at uni.
    Ummmm... I'm a she! But yeah, if you look at normal entry requirements (e.g. on university websites) you can see that maths and physics are the subjects you need. I don't know of anywhere which requires even GCSE Design Technology so, while I'm sure it would be useful, it's not really necessary. And as Devlin says, most of the design is on computers these days so hand drawing is far less important anyway.
    Jenn xx

ReputationRep:
    sorry, i just didn't actually look at your name. There really is a stereotype that engineers are male isn't there.

ReputationRep:
    hey. im hoping to do electronic engineering at uni, and my options were
    Maths, Further maths, Geography and Physics. (btw, uni's were really impressed about further maths)
    Just as a word of warning, if your applying for Cambridge and do futher maths...they will ask for and A in further maths, and probably not bother about the geography which was the case for 2 of my friends...so beware!

ReputationRep:
    kk thanks for all the information as a matter of fact, it is likely that i will b doin further maths in sixth form
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Devlin)
    sorry, i just didn't actually look at your name. There really is a stereotype that engineers are male isn't there.
    Yep! Don't worry about it, I know I'm in a minority
    Jenn xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JennLlama)
    Yep! Don't worry about it, I know I'm in a minority
    Jenn xx
    But not alone...

ReputationRep:
    I am doing Maths, F.Maths, Physics and Computing. And i will drop Computing for A2....I think I did really badly in Computer, I am talkind about U, E or D!

I regrads choosing computing.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 20, 2005

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.