Original post by siobhanx13
Brilliant answer!!!

Thanks! :smile:
Original post by hafsa473
Thanks! :smile:

How are your exams going so far?
How are your exams going so far?

Alright I guess, harder than I expected though. I need to get an A* in biology and since my B1 test was poor, I need to do extra well in these ones tomorrow...How are your exams?
Plants have leaves which contain guard cells and palisade cells. Explain how each ofthese kinds of cell assists photosynthesis. (4 marks)
Guard cells - 2 marks, Palisade Cells - 2 marks
Alright I guess, harder than I expected though. I need to get an A* in biology and since my B1 test was poor, I need to do extra well in these ones tomorrow...How are your exams?

Thats how I feel too! I'm aiming for an A* in Biology and I think I did ok in paper 1 but not as high as I would like so I'm hoping tomorrow will go well and the others are going ok. Also if lots of people struggled in B1 hopefully the grade boundaries won't be too high
Plants have leaves which contain guard cells and palisade cells. Explain how each ofthese kinds of cell assists photosynthesis. (4 marks)

Guard cells open and close the stomata, depending on the humidity and co2 levels outside the leaf. The palisade leaf cells have air spaces to maximise the gas exchange of oxygen and carbon dioxide!!

What is an allele?

Guard cells control the stomata opening and closing. When there is lots of water in the plant the guard cells go plump and turgid, allowing the stomata to open for gas exchange in photosynthesis.
Palisade cells are situated at the top of the leaf and contain lots of chlorophyll. This makes them ideal for absorbing light, for photosynthesis.
Thats how I feel too! I'm aiming for an A* in Biology and I think I did ok in paper 1 but not as high as I would like so I'm hoping tomorrow will go well and the others are going ok. Also if lots of people struggled in B1 hopefully the grade boundaries won't be too high

Yeah true...what did you get for your biology ISA?
Original post by Abihun04
Guard cells open and close the stomata, depending on the humidity and co2 levels outside the leaf. The palisade leaf cells have air spaces to maximise the gas exchange of oxygen and carbon dioxide!!

What is an allele?

An allele is a different version of the same gene
What are the two minerals plants need and what are they used for?

sugars and nitrates to build into amino acids to build into proteins? i'm not sure as this question isn't too specific :smile:
Yeah true...what did you get for your biology ISA?

48 or 49, can't remember, you?
Original post by jazz_xox_
sugars and nitrates to build into amino acids to build into proteins? i'm not sure as this question isn't too specific :smile:

Oh yes, sorry! I'll reword it... What is magnesium and nitrate used in for plants?
explain why peat-free compost is better than peat compost [3]

B3
What are the three ways fossils are formed?
Oh yes, sorry! I'll reword it... What is magnesium and nitrate used in for plants?

Magnesium is needed by plants to make chlorophyll, which absorbs light energy for photosynthesis so the plant can grow, and nitrate is used to supply the plants with nitrate ions which are combined with glucose to form proteins
48 or 49, can't remember, you?

really?! That's full UMS right? Biology was the one I got the lowest on, like 40 I think :'(
explain why peat-free compost is better than peat compost [3]

B3

Because peat stores CO2 and when it's made into compost the peat is drained which releases CO2 into the atmosphere, contributing to global warming/ climate change because CO2 is a greenhouse gas. Therefore, buying peat free compost reduces the amount of peat being drained and CO2 being released into atmosphere
really?! That's full UMS right? Biology was the one I got the lowest on, like 40 I think :'(

I think so! We had an amazing teacher last year, so that helped a lot. And I'm sure you'll still do really well because you seam to care and have therefore put in a lot of effort!
Magnesium is needed by plants to make chlorophyll, which absorbs light energy for photosynthesis so the plant can grow, and nitrate is used to supply the plants with nitrate ions which are combined with glucose to form proteins

Brilliant :smile:
What are the three ways fossils are formed?

Preservation
Replacement by minerals
Casts and impressions (clay cast)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending