The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pyongyang123
Then why are Muslims who fast allowed to get paid whilst not working during Ramadan? The other employees have to pick up their workload whilst Muslims get paid for nothing, all because they forbid themselves from buying a cheese sandwich and a bottle of water. In Islamic countries Christians aren't even allowed to celebrate Christmas. You have to be kidding me

ultimately yes, put like that fasting seems a little selfish. But then you have to consider that these people have been brought up muslim from an early age, so taught to believe that if they don't fast they'll be tortured and go to hell... so you can see why they fast (i'm an atheist, not muslim, but i do RS GCSE and am very interested in the subject!)

also, in saudi arabia the government may ban christmas because they're CORRUPT, not because they hate christians- who are tolerated in Islan because like Jews they are -people of the book.' anyhow- is it any different to Donald Trump saying he wants to ban muslims, or France banning the wearing of the hijab in schools...
Reply 41
That is a completely fair view. The civilians of Islamic countries are the most racist on earth, look at statistics and surveys produced.

And for what reasons do you think these Islamic countries represent Islam. I admit that theirs corruption in such countries like in every country, and not all Muslims are racist. Look at the EDL or Britain first. They are extremist who can say they dont discriminate but they do publicly show they're hatred towards Islam.

We are honestly just going in circles. If every muslims on this planet was corrupt, it would not mean islam is, its just the fact that they do not wish to follow islam.
Original post by Samii123
Listen, I don't disagree with what you're saying but you have to realise that some of these Muslim countries are still living in the past with ideals akin to those of the crusades, but there are various Muslim democratic countries where discrimination is nowhere near as much such as Pakistan, Turkey and Sudan and each of these countries have religious buildings available to most religions. This proves to me that its the system of the country that leads to severe discrimination and not always religion since there are other Muslim countries capable of collaborating with people of other faiths.

i see your point, but i wouldn't exactly say Turkey is democratic when you consider how horrifically sexist it is to women and in Sudan there is FGM and arranged marriages in Pakistan. HOWEVER this is not to do with Islam, it's culture which they have viable reasons for i guess
Original post by Boss_Rhythm
No, its actually 100% boost. As Allah is guiding them.

No, it's actually a test, to help see whether they are worthy of heaven or eternal punishment. :wink:
No. You get extra consideration for something outside of your control. Fasting is well within your control; you chose to fast. Whether it's part of your religion or not, it's a choice. If I chose to live in a desert 40 days and 40 nights before my exam as being a Christian I wouldn't get extra consideration because I chose to do it. You don't get extra marks for something you chose to do - simple.
Reply 45
Original post by eviebrizzle
ultimately yes, put like that fasting seems a little selfish. But then you have to consider that these people have been brought up muslim from an early age, so taught to believe that if they don't fast they'll be tortured and go to hell... so you can see why they fast (i'm an atheist, not muslim, but i do RS GCSE and am very interested in the subject!)

also, in saudi arabia the government may ban christmas because they're CORRUPT, not because they hate christians- who are tolerated in Islan because like Jews they are -people of the book.' anyhow- is it any different to Donald Trump saying he wants to ban muslims, or France banning the wearing of the hijab in schools...

It seems someone has an open mind :smile: Btw , islam is a flexible religion so fasting is compulsory after reaching puberty, and if you believe and god and the last prophet, then you should fast.'It has been prescribed to you as it was prescribed before you' - surah al bakarah. Islam does not force people who are ill or on a journey to fast, they are advised not to and to make it up on another day. As for going to hell- anyone can go to hell and anyone can go to heaven, that is totally up to god. There are narrations of the prophet (pbu) which say that there was a person killed 99 people, he went to a person of knowledge and asked what can i do for atonement. The person replied 'nothing'. The man killed him too. The person then went to another peron of knowledge and asked him the same question. This man replied to repent and go to a certain pleace. During his journey there, the man died. The angels were arguing whether to cast him in hell or heaven. God said meassure the land between him and his location and him and his starting point, if he is closer to the location then send him to heaven. God then told the earth to move him close to the location and he was forgiven.

Similarly, if a man sincerely repents and never does the sin again, his sins become deeds. God says - 'do not despair of my mercy'. So even sinners can go to heaven, infact 'every son of Adam (as) is a sinner'.

Sorry for the long extract.
Original post by Stormz1
It seems someone has an open mind :smile: Btw , islam is a flexible religion so fasting is compulsory after reaching puberty, and if you believe and god and the last prophet, then you should fast.'It has been prescribed to you as it was prescribed before you' - surah al bakarah. Islam does not force people who are ill or on a journey to fast, they are advised not to and to make it up on another day. As for going to hell- anyone can go to hell and anyone can go to heaven, that is totally up to god. There are narrations of the prophet (pbu) which say that there was a person killed 99 people, he went to a person of knowledge and asked what can i do for atonement. The person replied 'nothing'. The man killed him too. The person then went to another peron of knowledge and asked him the same question. This man replied to repent and go to a certain pleace. During his journey there, the man died. The angels were arguing whether to cast him in hell or heaven. God said meassure the land between him and his location and him and his starting point, if he is closer to the location then send him to heaven. God then told the earth to move him close to the location and he was forgiven.

Similarly, if a man sincerely repents and never does the sin again, his sins become deeds. God says - 'do not despair of my mercy'. So even sinners can go to heaven, infact 'every son of Adam (as) is a sinner'.

Sorry for the long extract.

aha thats okay it's really interesting! oh so it's also luck a bit wether you go to heaven or hell i guess?!
i see your point, but i wouldn't exactly say Turkey is democratic when you consider how horrifically sexist it is to women and in Sudan there is FGM and arranged marriages in Pakistan. HOWEVER this is not to do with Islam, it's culture which they have viable reasons for i guess

There's no vialble reason for sexism and discrimination
Reply 48
Umm look at the numbers killed by Muslims. Over ten times higher than the next group in 2016. Please look at statistics

send me a link to your statistics please. What makes you think your statistics arent bias? I dont see muslims killing people everywhere, only time i hear of muslims killing people is from ISIS, which has probably thousands of followers, these ISIS fellows are'nt in US or UK so its safe to say not all 537 murder in the uk were caused by isis ( http://www.citizensreportuk.org/reports/murders-fatal-violence-uk.html ) nor were the 4 in ever 100,000 in us caused by muslims http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/VC.IHR.PSRC.P5
Reply 49
aha thats okay it's really interesting! oh so it's also luck a bit wether you go to heaven or hell i guess?!

I guess you could say that,but every action you do isn't done by luck :smile:

There was once a prostitute who gave an animal some water and for that act she went heaven.

you can say that's unfair to those who pray everyday and still got hell, but then you don't exactly know why she was in prostitution, or if she ever even heard about god.

God is just. That's in every religion aswell as Islam
Reply 50
There's no vialble reason for sexism and discrimination

Something i agree with! But keep in mind that having everything equal is not having everything fair so for women and men and children things should be done differently.
Reply 51
I never said they were. I'm saying that Muslims kill the most people in this world, and that is undeniable.

That is deniable and i deny it right now. Please send me links to your statistics, and if your statistics are bias then you have an issue, your statistics aren't real and therefore you presumptions are wrong.
Reply 52
well yes i 100% agree with you there. i hate how shari'a law is not equal for both genders, same with other religions. i hate how cultures force girls to marry 60 year old men at 12. but we can't say this is all due to Islam, there is a difference between culture and religion

There is no such thing as a book of Shari'a law and thats important because the shari'a is a set of ideals, and the way you implement them in life is different according to your interpretations. As for not being equal with male and female, one should consider the fact that women and men are different and in order for it to be fair, things cant be equal.
For example, a women does not/should not need to fast when she is on her period, or breast feeding or is pregnant. Unfortunately men have no excuse unless they are ill/ travelling. This isnt equal but isnt it fair?
Original post by Stormz1
Something i agree with! But keep in mind that having everything equal is not having everything fair so for women and men and children things should be done differently.

I completely disagree that men and women should do things 'differently'. Why can't you have women in the army or a female politician?
Reply 54
I completely disagree that men and women should do things 'differently'. Why can't you have women in the army or a female politician?

Im not saying a female cant be in an army or be a politican. I'd happily support them. In school students arent allowed to go to the toilets during lesson- what if a female is on her period? Isnt that unfair considering the fact men have no such needs?
Lol no. That is not true. You got trolled, my friend
Original post by The1AndOnly1
Hi,

Some students told me, as I am Muslim, that those Muslims who fast will get a 5% boost to their marks as extra to accommodate the fact they are fasting? Is this true?

Edit:

Please, before you call me ignorant or other stuff which makes me go WTF, I wasn't hoping to get a 5% increase, I was asking just to see if it's true. 👍

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry, it's misinformation. 5% mark enhancement is reserved for people who have had severe mitigating circumstances around exam time, such as a mother or father dying or a very debilitating illness.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 57
Look up the Syrian civil war, ISIS etc and how many people they have killed. This far outnumbers any other group's' killings

I already have a problem with that statistic, your looking at a civil war. Do you understand what that means? Maybe that outnumbers killings because there arent any civil wars happening at western countries. Innocent lives are being killed in civil wars and children are killing to save themselves. This isnt exactly a fair account.

The syrian war is an ongoing war with several interventions. This means other countries are joining in and are killing. The deaths however end up in the deaths of those killed in the civil war.

Look at WW1 and WW2. Look at those death figures. During that time not many Muslims were in Europe so is it fair to say that all those that got killed in those figures were Christians?
Reply 58
Muslims have too much special treatment imo. If I went and lived in an Islamic country I'd be discriminated against and forbidden from practising my religion, or killed in extreme situations. Seriously to all Muslims in Europe, be extremely grateful for what you have here.

Excuse me, but Europe is not just for you. You sound like Europe is only for non-Muslims, which is an awful thought you have no offence. And stop making Muslims feel like outsiders...what if it is their own country? Sorry but you have no logic here.
Original post by Stormz1
I already have a problem with that statistic, your looking at a civil war. Do you understand what that means? Maybe that outnumbers killings because there arent any civil wars happening at western countries. Innocent lives are being killed in civil wars and children are killing to save themselves. This isnt exactly a fair account.

The syrian war is an ongoing war with several interventions. This means other countries are joining in and are killing. The deaths however end up in the deaths of those killed in the civil war.

Look at WW1 and WW2. Look at those death figures. During that time not many Muslims were in Europe so is it fair to say that all those that got killed in those figures were Christians?

Those weren't religiously motivated and you're forgetting that this is the 21st century.

Latest