ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    nay
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Nay.

I don't see why need it given that insurance costs vary on an individual basis anyway.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    For **** sake no...!!! This is absolutely absurd, and this could cause difficulty when going abroad with different speed limits. And also, you've left out a big factor which is how does the device know whether or not you're breaking the speed limit... you haven't said that it transmits data about location, which it would need to know in order to account for speed limits, which might not always be accurate, and I think when going into a village, this could cause massive problems, because I bet even you as proposers go into some villages a little bit too fast...

And then I don't want my location sent all the time either thanks! ****ing ridiculous, and not thought out at all.

NO NO NO!!!
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    For **** sake no...!!! This is absolutely absurd, and this could cause difficulty when going abroad with different speed limits. And also, you've left out a big factor which is how does the device know whether or not you're breaking the speed limit... you haven't said that it transmits data about location, which it would need to know in order to account for speed limits, which might not always be accurate, and I think when going into a village, this could cause massive problems, because I bet even you as proposers go into some villages a little bit too fast...

And then I don't want my location sent all the time either thanks! ****ing ridiculous, and not thought out at all.

NO NO NO!!!
    To be fair the device could be set up to read speed limit signs so it wouldn't need that data...
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    Other then a natural disaster none of those are permissible reasons to speed, and seeing as we don't get hurricanes, only the occasional tornado, and flooding there isn't a disaster fast enough to require speeding.
    I can tell you have not passed your test, it is common to be in situation where the driver may need to break the speed limit to avoid a more dangerous situation, or a crash. A good example is when entering motorways, it is common to see a lorry blindly pass from the slip road to the motorway with proper observations not being made, for cars on the motorway the best action is to quickly speed up to stop the lorry entering the motorway hitting the side of the driver's car: speeding up needs to be done because breaking suddenly will cause a car to hit the back of the driver's car, and it is not possible to switch lanes if there are cars in the other lanes.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    I can tell you have not passed your test, it is common to be in situation where the driver may need to break the speed limit to avoid a more dangerous situation, or a crash. A good example is when entering motorways, it is common to see a car blindly pass from the slip road to the motorway with proper observations not being made, for cars on the motorway the best action is to quickly speed up to stop the car entering the motorway hitting the side of the car, because breaking suddenly will cause a car to hit the back of the driver's car, and it is not possible to switch lanes if there are cars in the other lanes.
    That is not a natural disaster, over taking nor a pregnancy though.
    And the speed limit is currently 80 so the driver could go up to 90 legally in the situation you describe.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    That is not a natural disaster, over taking nor a pregnancy though.
    And the speed limit is currently 80 so the driver could go up to 90 legally in the situation you describe.
    If the driver is travelling at 80mph with the long, articulated lorry starting to drift across, the driver accelerates quickly enough to be ahead of the lorry when the lorry enters the lane; above 90mph is not uncommon. It is not a natural disaster but it is a valid reason to break the speed limit which a judge will consider in court if the authorities fine the driver, other situations are when a car is an impromptu ambulance. The point is this, speeding is illegal but is needed in some situations to prevent a more dangerous situation forming, to claim there is no reason to speed is wrong.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Aph)
    To be fair the device could be set up to read speed limit signs so it wouldn't need that data...
    How are they going to be able to read speed signs? Would they have a camera? and what if the signs are obscured etc so when they think it's a 30, it's actually a 60...

It's not a viable course of action, and the time, effort, and money that would be wasted in appeals and all this crap would be astronomical.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Nay.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    How are they going to be able to read speed signs? Would they have a camera? and what if the signs are obscured etc so when they think it's a 30, it's actually a 60...

It's not a viable course of action, and the time, effort, and money that would be wasted in appeals and all this crap would be astronomical.
    I'm not saying it's perfect but the are cars that read road signs afaik
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Aph)
    I'm not saying it's perfect but the are cars that read road signs afaik
    Even if they can, that doesn't mean that these devices would necessarily have cameras able to read the signs...
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Even if they can, that doesn't mean that these devices would necessarily have cameras able to read the signs...
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...ve-Europe.html
    2008 technology.
    No, but it's possible.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Aph)
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...ve-Europe.html
    2008 technology.
    No, but it's possible.
    A lot of things are possible, it's whether or not it's worth it.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Nay, while I like the reason for this bill; this approach is far too authoritarian for my liking.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Quite a few do, and force you to stick to the speed limit; with the advances in this area speeding should gradually become a thing of the past - of course there will be some people that turn the setting off, but considering the people who get caught seem to be just the one off occurrences (on the whole), this will allow police to focus on the repeat offenders.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    This bill is in cessation.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    This bill has been withdrawn.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 23, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.