Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    Offline

    20
    ReputationRep:
    yeah they are good, nevertheless, unis look out for A-Levels more than GCSE so ace them and you're fine and if you have a lot of relevant experience etc, then they will probably consider you despite any bad grades, my friend got into medicine but missed the requirements by a grade or 2 but got in because she has so much experience
    Offline

    3
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joe_Gaughan)
    I'm a pretty clever person, and throughout high school I achieved decent results - mostly As or A*s. However, the end of my GCSEs are fast approaching and i'm worried that I've not done well enough. Throughout the past two years I have simply not put in enough effort, and am worried that my GCSEs wont be good enough. I have two exams left, and am predicted 2A*s, 3As, 3Bs and 2Cs. These results are way more than I need to go to college, but will they be acceptable for good universities? I am just upset, because I know I had the potential to do better. I'm not aiming for an Oxbridge University, but would Russel Group Uni's still accept me with these results?

    I just also realised that I didn't put a question mark in the title. Wow.
    All the replies you're gonna get are going to be conjectures and anecdotes with minimal factual evidence. Just make sure you get Bs in maths, English and science. If you get these, obtain A*A*A* at A2 and you can (near) literally go to any university you want.


    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Offline

    2
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abstract_Prism)
    I get more annoyed at the people who get like 6+ A*'s and try to get reassurance. Threads like these are legitimate though. Who could blame someone for thinking that 2 A*'s isn't good enough when they're surrounded by all these people with better grades?

    Regardless, 2 A*'s won't rule OP out of Oxbridge, and certainly not Russell. That's undeniable. There are people studying there with less.
    Right?
    Is it just me or do people on this forum get abnormally high grades?
    There's ~400 people in my year and I can think of maybe 10/15 who are looking at majority A*, but on TSR it seems ~80% of users are aiming for this, and a lot (although not all) of users are dismissive and, frankly, rude towards anybody who thinks they'll get any less. As if majority B's and above isn't higher than average.

    I think it must just be that those with the best grades are shouting the loudest, or else everyone would have straight A*s.

    As for the OP - my cousin got mostly Bs and Cs at GCSE, lower than the As and Bs she expected, and was disappointed. However she worked hard at A Level and got an offer from two RG universities and an unconditional from a non-RG; she chose the non-RG even though she'd always dreamt of going for Russell Group, and hasn't looked back. Life takes all kinds of turns, there's no reasons why these grades can't get you where you want to go if you put the effort in, and even if you end up somewhere completely different, it might just be the best thing that ever happened to you
    Offline

    17
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CaptErin)
    Right?
    Is it just me or do people on this forum get abnormally high grades?
    There's ~400 people in my year and I can think of maybe 10/15 who are looking at majority A*, but on TSR it seems ~80% of users are aiming for this, and a lot (although not all) of users are dismissive and, frankly, rude towards anybody who thinks they'll get any less. As if majority B's and above isn't higher than average.

    I think it must just be that those with the best grades are shouting the loudest, or else everyone would have straight A*s.
    This. So much this.

    In my year there wasn't a single person who was looking at a majority of A*'s.

    TSR is the place where the top 1% of students come to laugh at the other 99%. Then they laugh at each other for a bit,

    I mean, who even are these people who get depressed when they don't get a majority of A*'s? Who are these people who make fun of those who don't? They're even more autistic than I am.

    And all the 'Are these grades good enough for Oxbridge?' threads, man.

    TSR will rot your brain.

    Oh the other hand, if you can go on TSR without getting mad, you can sidestep literally any troll on the internet.
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    4
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pyongyang123)
    Ask someone who cares. I bet you're one of those obese people who claim they're too fat to work.
    Oh you mean like someone on the student room? Stop making stupid comments about people's weight and attidude when I'm just looking for some answers. Nothing better to do than hate on people who are genuinely worried?
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    4
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abstract_Prism)
    4/10 troll, it'll probably succeed because TSR users are terribly insecure about their grades.

    Anyway OP, you're grades are certainly good enough for Russell Group unis. Even Oxbridge, particularly if you do well in you A-levels. More so Cambridge than Oxford though. Peterhouse College in Cambridge released statistics in another thread that showed that a significant proportion of applicants for Law got in with 1 or less A*'s.
    Thank you. I'd assumed they were sarcasm but it's good to have actual genuine replies like yours. Cheers
    Offline

    7
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anne.jpg)
    Lol so ironic! You comma spliced in that sentence, i d i o t
    I mean I might be missing the point but why did you join a thread and get involved in a little petty spat ? Look I solemnly apologise for my ( the right word would be hypocrisy) :,) and I see it had deeply offended you as you even included gaps between the word 'idiot'.There really was no need I assure you I can read.
    Offline

    3
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abstract_Prism)
    This. So much this.

    In my year there wasn't a single person who was looking at a majority of A*'s.

    TSR is the place where the top 1% of students come to laugh at the other 99%. Then they laugh at each other for a bit,

    I mean, who even are these people who get depressed when they don't get a majority of A*'s? Who are these people who make fun of those who don't? They're even more autistic than I am.

    And all the 'Are these grades good enough for Oxbridge?' threads, man.

    TSR will rot your brain.

    Oh the other hand, if you can go on TSR without getting mad, you can sidestep literally any troll on the internet.
    Isn't it your choice to read or comment on these threads though? we do live in a democracy
    Offline

    18
    ReputationRep:
    Projected grades are utter bs. I was projected low level AAAAABBBBB and got A*A*A*A*AAABBB. All my benchmarks were Cs too
 
 
 
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

    Study tools

    Rosette

    Essay expert

    Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

    Thinking about uni already?

    Thinking about uni already?

    See where you can apply with our uni match tool

    Student chat

    Ask a question

    Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

    Creating

    Make study resources

    Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

    Planner

    Create your own Study Plan

    Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

    Resources by subject

    From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

    Papers

    Find past papers

    100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

    Help out other students

    Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

    Groups associated with this forum:

    View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

    Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

    Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.