The Student Room Group

How have your music tastes changed?

Scroll to see replies

For me sort of during my early years I listened to mainly R&B, Hip-Hop and Pop, like Aaliyah ,Usher,Ludacris and Mariah Carey, then about 12-13,I was more allured by pop-rap, due to my fascination with Lady Gaga, Nicki Minaj and Rihanna, then about 14-15 I listened to K-pop by artists like 2ne1,4 minute and G-dragon, then currently now(18), I'm more involved with the Alternative, indie, futuristic and underground side of R&B, electronic and Hip hop and Grime. From these genres I tend to listen to Kelela, Skepta, A$AP Rocky, Kendrick Lamar, Princess Nokia, PartyNextDoor and many more artists who tend to adapt to these particular genres.
I used to listen to crappy rock bands when I was like 12. Now I listen to 99% Hip Hop. I've listened to over 200 albums start to finish this year. Before last year I never listened to a single album start to finish. (Bear in mind I am just 15).
I know this is ridiculous, but is there anyone else out there OBSESSED with Bombay Bicycle Club?

They are vastly underrated, some of the sounds they create, are just magical. They're my favourite band.

Spoiler

Age 10-12: into chart music and people such as Katy Perry, Rihanna, David Guetta etc.

Age 13: started getting into bands more than singers: Evanescence, The Killers etc. My mum influenced my music then

Age 14: for 2 months or so I got into Black Veil Brides and Slipknot (I have no idea how this happened I just ended up watching their songs on YouTube and got addicted to them) after that I got back into chart music and I hated people who listened to screamo bands etc.

Age 15-now (now 17): I like anything but chart music isn't my favourite type anymore, so like I'll enjoy a Katy Perry song here and again, but the occasional Suicide Silence and Asking Alexandria song...then it can go to Adele..then back to chart again.

I'm glad I don't have a specific type of music I listen to anymore, it's good to appreciate all types of music now, particularly due to the different things I experience in life ahah.

Posted from TSR Mobile
2010 - Just normal mainstream music

2011-2012 - DnB, Dubstep, Electro House, EDM in general

2012 - Present - Hip-Hop (and Trap music occasionally)

2016 - Present - Hip-Hop and EDM Hybrid, HIp-Hop during the day, EDM during the night.
I've pretty much been into hip hop and house music my whole life. There was one phase in which I became a metalhead skater and detested every other genre because I enjoyed fitting the hipster-metalhead stereotype for some odd reason. That lasted a few years and then I got back into hip hop and house. Now I listen to a huge variety of genres, including hip hop, grime, house, jungle, liquid DnB, organ-bassline, liquid dubstep/chillstep, reggae, ska, metal, punk, garage, just to name a few off the top of my head.

Quick Reply

Latest