Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why can't people learn to grow a thick skin? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loveleest)
    Say this to the majority of Muslims on here
    They'll just give me bs and allah so no i'm not gonna do that....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Big white)
    Why are some people so just weak and intolerable?
    They get insulted once and the start crying or whatever or they get all emotional about it, like wtf grow a skin on top of your skin to not get hurt
    Tell this to the white people who say they're the most oppressed people and experience "subtle racism".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drogon)
    Tell this to the white people who say they're the most oppressed people and experience "subtle racism".
    they'd probably just cry on me so no i wouldn't i don't want a wet t-shirt

ReputationRep:
    They get insulted once and the start crying or whatever or they get all emotional about it, like wtf grow a skin on top of your skin to not get hurt
    It's cos no one knows how to put all that stem cell research into practice sheesh

And blood clotting research, what about that huh?

Like... Cry me the Red Sea

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImNotReallyMe)
    It's cos no one knows how to put all that stem cell research into practice sheesh

And blood clotting research, what about that huh?

Like... Cry me the Red Sea

Posted from TSR Mobile
    eugenics is a good way to get rid of things we don't want

ReputationRep:
    To be honest it depends on the moment/circumstance and what the person said/how they said it.

E.g if someone has just died and you make jokes about death that would be very inconsiderate/stupid & plain disrespectful.

But if you're talking about a harmless joke then only do it with people you know won't take offense to it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaseratiJay)
    To be honest it depends on the moment/circumstance and what the person said/how they said it.

E.g if someone has just died and you make jokes about death that would be very inconsiderate/stupid & plain disrespectful.

But if you're talking about a harmless joke then only do it with people you know won't take offense to it?
    I definitely agree personally but i think this is just me, i wouldn't really care about their death but ,pst certainly i wouldn't laugh at someone for mourning their parents death

ReputationRep:
    I got bullied At work by my manager for a year and then had a mental breakdown. Does that make me weak?

ReputationRep:
    Because growing a thick skin would require them deal with the problem themselves instead of running of and crying to parents/teachers/tumblr/TSR about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel)
    I got bullied At work by my manager for a year and then had a mental breakdown. Does that make me weak?
    If you haven't even built up some resistance to shrug off at least something they throw your way then yes you are.
    I have nothing against weak people i'm merely asking why these kinds of people can't become strong like others? and by becoming strong we can slowly show that bullying is pointless and gets them nowhere.
    However i'm not totally a heartless ******** and there is a limit to how much abuse any one person can take before they break down like you did, and unfortunately they went too far and you weren't able to cope so you have my pity and hopefully you can learn from your experiences and use them to make you a stronger person in the future
    (Original post by JohnGreek)
    Because growing a thick skin would require them deal with the problem themselves instead of running of and crying to parents/teachers/tumblr/TSR about it.
    Yes, another good point made, you can't always rely upon everyone else to do things for you however there's a limit like i stated above(the above comment) to how much one can take and when they need to get some help.

However to clarify this kind of thick skin i'm talking about is to shrug of short term mild abuse such as name calling and a little bit of pushing and shoving, not long term abuse over years and constant abuse wherever you go, i'm not even sure myself anyone can stand that kind of long term intense abuse.

ReputationRep:
    Calm down buddy. "Growing a thick skin" does not counts in as a universal law. Some people are just sensitive and don't take criticism very well whereas others are the boss when it comes to "ignoring" or growing a thick skin or even insulting back as a matter of fact. No one is under any obligation of any form to respond in a specific way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noara)
    Calm down buddy. "Growing a thick skin" does not counts in as a universal law. Some people are just sensitive and don't take criticism very well whereas others are the boss when it comes to "ignoring" or growing a thick skin or even insulting back as a matter of fact. No one is under any obligation of any form to respond in a specific way.
    I guess but it's useful to have a "thick skin" but people show grow one and be able to shrug off even the smallest of insults at the very least

ReputationRep:
    I guess but it's useful to have a "thick skin" but people show grow one and be able to shrug off even the smallest of insults at the very least
    That's true but unfortunately not everyone can easily undergo the transition from a sensitive person to a thick-skinned person. Some people just pretend to be so "not-caring" but they're usually very VERY sensitive deep down which does not makes anything any better but eh- I guess that's just the way the cookies crumble.

ReputationRep:
    I 100% agree with this. People need to get a grip and stop crying over everything.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I semi agree with this. It does seem the people believe they've a right to never be offended these days and actively go looking for things which will offend them.

On the other hand, certain things should not be acceptable to say and it not a case of you having a thick skin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noara)
    That's true but unfortunately not everyone can easily undergo the transition from a sensitive person to a thick-skinned person. Some people just pretend to be so "not-caring" but they're usually very VERY sensitive deep down which does not makes anything any better but eh- I guess that's just the way the cookies crumble.
    Meh well not much we can do about it, besides telling bullies off and stuff....
    (Original post by Trill)
    I 100% agree with this. People need to get a grip and stop crying over everything.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Changing Skies)
    I'm the most sensitive person I know. I let absolutely everything bother me. I don't know how to get over it, otherwise I would have done so by now :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Your face is so good that it should be stone so everyone can chisel away at it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure those people would LOVE to have the ability to just not be affected by the things that upset them, who wouldn't? Some people can't control those emotional responses to certain things, that's not always their fault. Anxiety, depression and bipolar disorder are all conditions that nobody chooses to have that can significantly affect their emotionality. Even if it's not due to a specific disorder, emotionality is a spectrum that we have limited control over.

Saying "just grow a thicker skin" is a pretty crappy thing to say.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.