Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GCSE2016Troop)
    Currently I was thinking of History, Economics and Politics and was considering either a Law or finance/economics type of degree but all of my family and friends I should drop politics for maths.
    History and Economics sound like great choices. I would agree with taking maths, but if you like politics, then I would take maths and the other subjects instead of taking maths instead of politics. Do note that economics/finance is a particular heavy mathematical degree, so if you don't enjoy maths, what makes you think you'd enjoy even harder maths at degree level?

ReputationRep:
    Give your opinion whether you have studied it or not
    Just horrible, Some people claim Chem is harder, but i did both and can easily say Chem is one of the hardest, 2nd maybe, but maths is by far the hardest A-level. It really does count on how much you enjoy maths and how much work youre willing to put into it, you pretty much learn 3 whole GCSE type topics in 7 months, so you need to put a lot of work into it, to get a good grade. I was in set 1 maths from year 7-11, i was alwasy in the top 5 of the year in maths, got A* at GCSE maths at year 10, A at IGCSE at year 11 ( IGCSE is a joke BTW, really easy to get an A ) .. went into Math A-level, And got a D ... that is mainly due to my lazy approach to education and i honestly had enough of maths, i was always great at it, so it was never a challenge, but the amount of people that failed maths or just would have been better off doing another subject; I can easily say 50% of us doign math, wished we had done another subject on results day .. i was pretty lucky with my D, seeing as i saw peopel who put way more effort into it get under D. Maths is also really boring and just needs too much work, if your doing other hard subjects its hard to put the effort into Maths.

I alwasy recommend never doign maths, unless you really enjoy it. You just way better off doing another easier subject you enjoy, you will most likely get a much betetr grade at that subject than Maths, and Uni's coudl care less what subjects you do, they mostly care about grades. ( unless you need the subject for the course ) ...

So please dont do maths, unless your willing to put a ton of effort into it. Its boring, unless, need hours of work and even then the exam can screw you over and you could get a horrible grade. Without a doubt most people are better off doing an easier subject they like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    History and Economics sound like great choices. I would agree with taking maths, but if you like politics, then I would take maths and the other subjects instead of taking maths instead of politics. Do note that economics/finance is a particular heavy mathematical degree, so if you don't enjoy maths, what makes you think you'd enjoy even harder maths at degree level?
    My idea behind that was that I feel that I excel at the numerical and problem solving side of maths and econmics doesn't involve any really difficult maths. A level maths is all about trig, algebra etc so thats why I was unsure whether I will enjoy it or do good at it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rajive)
    Which subjects do you do?
    Maths , further maths, physics & chemistry

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to take a levels chemistry, physics, maths and further maths. What views do u have on my choices. Plz criticize.

P.S. I'll be getting A* on both my maths and double science.

ReputationRep:
    My idea behind that was that I feel that I excel at the numerical and problem solving side of maths and econmics doesn't involve any really difficult maths. A level maths is all about trig, algebra etc so thats why I was unsure whether I will enjoy it or do good at it.
    Trust me, the mathematical side of economics at degree level is far more triggy and algebraic than A-Level maths.

ReputationRep:
    Trust me, the mathematical side of economics at degree level is far more triggy and algebraic than A-Level maths.
    U need to use differentiation on economics

ReputationRep:
    Give your opinion whether you have studied it or not
    There's a lot to learn and not much time to learn it. I cruised through the first year and had 90% test average in class. But a lot of people find it hard and do drop out/ fail.

To put it into perspective: My AS class in September had 30 students by January it was down to 22. This year only 7 made it onto A2.

A2 is a b***ch especially if you've got other academically challenging A levels going on simultaneously. Its a massive step up.

I honestly would not recommend it to anyone, it takes a lot of effort and a lot of preparation. The exams are really quite demanding.

C1 not bad C2 manageable. S1- not that much fun
    C3 and C4 are a b****. M1 is easy.

ReputationRep:
    You've definitely made me rethink things then haha. If you read up on that persons opinion on choosing maths is bad and its really hard, whats your opinion

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ARK_REVISES)
    Yeah I was aware of that but I don't think differentation seems that difficult.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ARK_REVISES)
    ...okay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Themini)
    I honestly would not recommend it to anyone, it takes a lot of effort and a lot of preparation. The exams are really quite demanding.
    Huh? This makes no sense. Lots of people don't find it challenging in the slightest. Why would you not recommend it to them?

ReputationRep:
    Not bad tbh but it depends with your ability like... I found C1 harder than C2 & 3...

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I was aware of that but I don't think differentation seems that difficult.
    When i discovered it i was super confused on how there is any correlation with algebraic maths and economics, i thought it was more of an analytical andenglish subject

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 34908seikj)
    No they don't. Some A-levels are valued higher than others. Eg maths and further maths are valued WAY higher than, say critical thinking and general studies, since in some schools critical thinking and general studies is mandatory and accepting them would give an unfair advantage to other students who don't have the opportunity to do them.
    furhter maths is really undermined in most sciences, especially medicine where it's not even thought of as an a level

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rimstone)
    Just horrible, Some people claim Chem is harder, but i did both and can easily say Chem is one of the hardest, 2nd maybe, but maths is by far the hardest A-level. It really does count on how much you enjoy maths and how much work youre willing to put into it, you pretty much learn 3 whole GCSE type topics in 7 months, so you need to put a lot of work into it, to get a good grade. I was in set 1 maths from year 7-11, i was alwasy in the top 5 of the year in maths, got A* at GCSE maths at year 10, A at IGCSE at year 11 ( IGCSE is a joke BTW, really easy to get an A ) .. went into Math A-level, And got a D ... that is mainly due to my lazy approach to education and i honestly had enough of maths, i was always great at it, so it was never a challenge, but the amount of people that failed maths or just would have been better off doing another subject; I can easily say 50% of us doign math, wished we had done another subject on results day .. i was pretty lucky with my D, seeing as i saw peopel who put way more effort into it get under D. Maths is also really boring and just needs too much work, if your doing other hard subjects its hard to put the effort into Maths.

I alwasy recommend never doign maths, unless you really enjoy it. You just way better off doing another easier subject you enjoy, you will most likely get a much betetr grade at that subject than Maths, and Uni's coudl care less what subjects you do, they mostly care about grades. ( unless you need the subject for the course ) ...

So please dont do maths, unless your willing to put a ton of effort into it. Its boring, unless, need hours of work and even then the exam can screw you over and you could get a horrible grade. Without a doubt most people are better off doing an easier subject they like.
    Why do you think you found it really hard? Was it the type of subjects, the workload or your work ethic?

ReputationRep:
    It'll depend on the person, obviously, but since you asked for personal opinion:

It's a joke. It requires zero thought, mathematical creativity or ingenuity. Literally a free A*A*. (with FM included)
    to a certain extent i agree (providing you are good at maths), how about mechanics M3/4/5?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1jonam16)
    furhter maths is really undermined in most sciences, especially medicine where it's not even thought of as an a level
    Source? I can understand medicine & it not being highly valued, but not thought of as an A level is so bs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xyz9856)
    to a certain extent i agree (providing you are good at maths), how about mechanics M3/4/5?
    Yes, obviously. Those modules are fine, I haven't done them myself, only done (C1-4, M1-3, S1-3, FP1-3) but from my friends who have, they're perfectly manageable modules.

(Original post by 1jonam16)
    lol, no. That applies to just medicine. Further maths is a massive advantage for any science subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 34908seikj)
    Source? I can understand medicine & it not being highly valued, but not thought of as an A level is so bs.
    No source because it's false. Applies to just medicine.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.