Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Omar Mateen - Mosque statement - This makes me so angry Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Armastan)
    On top of this, the gunman's father stated that he condemns the massacre and believes it wasn't due to religious reasons, but he's a supporter of the Taliban and claims that "God will punish all gays", showing no sympathy for those killed either. I'm also annoyed that the Imam in that article seems to try and blame their radicalisation on "the Internet". They clearly can't see the affects mosque teachings and parenting may have and the problems it can cause.
    It's actually really not clear that his father is a Taliban supporter. His father has a public access TV show where he held up a sign attacking Pakistan for supporting the Taliban and calling on the US to stop providing military aid to Pakistan.

That doesn't sound like a Taliban supporter. The father was a bit of a fixture around the DC Afghan scene and well known. What is not in question was that even for a man who was factionally attached to the Afghan government faction he still had a very mainstream Islamic view of homosexuality

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thutmose-III)
    It's actually really not clear that his father is a Taliban supporter. His father has a public access TV show where he held up a sign attacking Pakistan for supporting the Taliban and calling on the US to stop providing military aid to Pakistan.

That doesn't sound like a Taliban supporter. The father was a bit of a fixture around the DC Afghan scene and well known. What is not in question was that even for a man who was factionally attached to the Afghan government faction he still had a very mainstream Islamic view of homosexuality
    There is a difference between homosexuality and homosexuals. I don't agree with homosexuality, it is the reason I am heterosexual. This doesn't mean I want to prevent people doing what they want or that I abuse gay people.

(Original post by Thutmose-III)

Isn't it more worrying then, that the terrorist's parents were actually moderates?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    Isn't it more worrying then, that the terrorist's parents were actually moderates?
    I completely agree; it underlines that this has a lot to do with Islam. Such views as his father held are not extreme in the Muslim community

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tawheed)
    There is no justification in Islam that would allow that man to do what he did. It is a crime, it is wrong and it is injustice. Period.
    If you mean "There is nothing in the Quran that says 'Use an assault rifle to kill a club full of gays'", then you are correct.

However, if you mean "there is nothing in Islam that condemns homosexuals and calls for their death", then you are wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HanSoloLuck)
    So it's OK to stereotype all Muslims based on the actions of 100, but not on the actions of the thousands and millions that believe homosexuals should be killed and/or prosecuted.

Nice oxymoron reasoning, it refutes itself lol.
    That number is actually 100% of Muslims. I won't claim 1.6 billion because there are clearly some "Muslims" who think that homosexuality is not a corruption that can be punished by death. But (as we have seen in comments from Muslims on here) those people are not considered "True Muslims" by the majority who fully conform to the demands of doctrine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MesutOzil2110)
    You would understand if you were Muslim and people judged you on the basis of a few extremists they hear on the news about.
    Well, if you will publicly support the ideology that drives such actions...

You may claim to have nothing to do with the extremists, but you both follow the same ideology, and the only real difference is that they really believe it and even act on parts of it that you would rather ignore.

If Muslims are genuinely against homophobia, killing apostates, slavery, wife-beating, gender discrimination, etc, they need to stop following an ideology that supports all those things. And the only way to do that is change... either Islam, or your religion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BaconandSauce)
    2 point that make me angry
    I don't know why you're getting so upset, Dr Rahman owes you and the world absolutely nothing. He didn't shoot anybody, he didn't order anybody to shoot anybody. Do you really think just because he's Muslim or that he knew of this man that he should go out of his way to make some big crying apologetic statement?

Get a grip.

(Original post by BaconandSauce)
    So the mosque has now been involved in teaching 2 terrorists about Islam but still can't see the problem
    Lol.

I had no idea it only took the occasional visit to a mosque to become fully radicalised there, the ones round here must be doing something wrong eh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrsSheldonCooper)
    The guy was suspected by the FBI and he managed to work in ****ing security. How did that even happen? O.o
    Innocent until proven guilty, I guess.
    It's a trade-off between public safety and individual rights. And more of one usually means less of the other.

However, there is one issue here, the power of the gun lobby. Apparently, in such cases, he could be put on a "no fly" list, but could not be stopped from buying an assault rifle (1:55).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.